Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

At least you didn’t try and bling up that knackered old Porsche you used to drive :D CamperFam and I used to work together about 10 years ago and lost contact until I watched his SpaceMate slide-out draw video a couple of months back, small world indeed!
Youtube; the millenials equivalent of Reunion.com site :D

And i'll have you know that knackered porsche was a beautiful '87 924S and was a HUGE upgrade from the 0.9l Vauxhall Corsa. Unlike the Corsa, the Porsche didn't need a dashboard slap to start....

(Random picture of one for old times sake - that tint is glastly).

77Farace.jpg

So back on topic - i'm now confused. What's the combo to retain existing speedo calibration whilst achieving a little bit of swamper-look?

And i'll have you know that knackered porsche was a beautiful '87 924S and was a HUGE upgrade from the 0.9l Vauxhall Corsa. Unlike the Corsa, the Porsche didn't need a dashboard slap to start....

77Farace.jpg

Have you always been a hairdresser?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

77Farace.jpg

So back on topic - i'm now confused. What's the combo to retain existing speedo calibration whilst achieving a little bit of swamper-look?
Keeping it in the family. It's basically a VW in Porsche clothing. Then VW pulled out of the project and Porsche continued it to the bitter end. The 928 was unique for the time and real head turner.

Keeping it in the family. It's basically a VW in Porsche clothing. Then VW pulled out of the project and Porsche continued it to the bitter end. The 928 was unique for the time and real head turner.
You beat me to it with the 928

Our "mini swamper". I have modified the Thule bike carrier so we can carry inflatable sup boards etc:
Cali-Mini-Swamper1.jpeg

Cali-MiniSwamper2.jpeg
how have you modified it, and I presume carrying inflatable not INFLATED SUP, as I struggle this way:IMG_8229.jpgIMG_8237.jpg

I’m coming around to these. They are indeed correctly specced.

View attachment 117812
Have seen the advert for these, the wheels alone are £1k new and the tyres are probably £150 a corner on top. The price is unbelievably good and it's someone selling on behalf of someone else which always worries me. Not saying they are dodgy but just tread carefully if you decide to go for them :)

Is this anyone’s on here.
Over in South America, unfortunately has a break down. But nice looking setup…

IMG_1715.png

Have seen the advert for these, the wheels alone are £1k new and the tyres are probably £150 a corner on top. The price is unbelievably good and it's someone selling on behalf of someone else which always worries me. Not saying they are dodgy but just tread carefully if you decide to go for them :)
I agree, I’m awaiting their call.

Will see how legit or otherwise they may be.

Absolutely agreed.

Especially given there is zero profile info on the lister on behalf of the seller.

I’m aware that sadly Marketplace seems to now be 80% the preserve of scammers & grifters.

Shame, as it used to be a great community.

Last edited:
how have you modified it, and I presume carrying inflatable not INFLATED SUP, as I struggle this way:View attachment 117814View attachment 117815
I have built an fram arround the back of the bicycle carrier in aluminum profiles so when not taking bikes I remove the swiveling part thats in aluminum color on yours and I can pack atleast two sup bags on there with straps. I need to put stronger gas dampers on for it to work. That way I can have four bikes on a Thule 929 and two sup boards attached to the van.

That’s what I have on twin monotube wheels. If I were to start again though I’d probably go with 17/255/65 as the ride on the KO2's is quite harsh, a bit more tyre wall might help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We have General Tire Grabber AT3 235/55 R18 on Amarok rims on ours, works very well with no lift kit. Speedo was about 10% wrong before and now its about 2% wrong so actually better. Consumption is worse so when going very far we mount the standard 17” with normal tyres again.

@wildslammer22 @Corradobrit - and all others on here, you seem more the minimalist, knowledgeable campers. Thought on top of your welcome swamper wheel etc advice, you could advise on kit list.

So far I have accumulated/am in the process of accumulating:

EF Delta 2
Cadac Safari Chef 2
Deleted VW mattress, going with Calibed P3 or iXtend
Ridgemonkey griddle
Either a 1l electric kettle or RM square one?
Ladder & roofrack
Wheels TBC - either black modular steels or thanks to @Jimmylondon07 some more expensive alloys

Any other essential gear?

@wildslammer22 @Corradobrit - and all others on here, you seem more the minimalist, knowledgeable campers. Thought on top of your welcome swamper wheel etc advice, you could advise on kit list.

EF Delta 2
Cadac Safari Chef 2
Ridgemonkey griddle
Ladder & roofrack
Wheels TBC - either black modular steels or thanks to @Jimmylondon07 some more expensive alloys

Bookleaf 100W solar panel.
Project camper internal cab thermal covers
Go anywhere, stow in the boot, Brompton for local exploration
Bocamp Melanine crockery
Nestling non stick pans with detachable handles - Moneta Etna
WMF SS picnic flatware in roll
USB rechargeable plasma lighter for gas

EF Delta 2
Cadac Safari Chef 2
Ridgemonkey griddle
Ladder & roofrack

Sounds like you have all the basics, my advice is to do a few trips when you have the van and you’ll soon work out what you would like to add or leave behind.

My base kit certainly has changed and evolved and of course you will have your own hobbies and passions to cater for - don’t start me on coffee, I tried all sorts of kit before I landed on my perfect Cali brew set up!

I do have a few things I carry on every trip.

1. A cheap bamboo duckboard that I keep outside the sliding door for minimising mud/sand in the van
2. A 5l cooler for drinking water, tea and coffee. I only use the onboard water for cooking and washing. I use a Yeti but other (much cheaper) brands are available…
3. Tyre table for extra cooking and washing up space. An essential for me but I tend to either wild camp or stay where facilities are very basic and do most of my cooking outside, even in winter. So for most people probably not an essential.

I also always carry a bivvy loo for emergencies but only needed it maybe one per 100 nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also always carry a bivvy loo for emergencies but only needed it maybe one per 100 nights.
Good point. I forgot the collapsable one I keep in the pub out drawer. Yet to be used in anger after 35 nights away but provides a good sense of security in case of emergencies.

Along the same lines another essential piece of equipment is a 1L pee bottle which hides away in the Busboxx shoebox.