Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

Pretty sure I will be going for the Falken Wildpeak Trail or maybe the Michelin Latitude Cross
Do you have Active TPMS monitoring on your van? Am still not quite sure how it affects it if you go for a tyre size which isn’t loaded in the system (can only find a Wildpeak AT3WA in 235/65R17 or 235/55R18, not 235/55R17 which is the preset).

I’m in paralysis by analysis territory now, thought I’d locked down the tyres at least but even with those I’m back to looking at Grabber AT3s, Michelin Lattitude Cross and Cross Climate 2s. Get the feeling I’ll only pull the trigger when I see some wheels I like that are on sale and too good to refuse.

They’re not for me but these Black Rhino Yorks are going for a good price (in comparison to other sellers) in case anyone’s interested:
I had a very good experience with Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S (3PMSF) on a RR L322, I did not check the sizes available to fit Cali, but durable and rough looking.

please, what's the name of the 2nd rhino, as I am not able to find it on their site?
I was not even remotely supposed to change my wheels, but I feel like I'm getting started intoxicated by this thread.
Unit

I curse this page. The Cali purchase already drained my wallet.

Now I’ve spent another 10% of the cost on stuff for it before I’ve even got the keys

Do you have Active TPMS monitoring on your van? Am still not quite sure how it affects it if you go for a tyre size which isn’t loaded in the system (can only find a Wildpeak AT3WA in 235/65R17 or 235/55R18, not 235/55R17 which is the preset).
TPMS was an option on the Euro spec Coast. Didn't spec it.

I have it, nothing to worry about, the preloaded sizes (when selected) only affect the standard/fully charged pressure reference levels displayed on the monitor.

I have it, nothing to worry about, the preloaded sizes (when selected) only affect the standard/fully charged pressure reference levels displayed on the monitor.
just try to play with various preloaded sizes on settings and you will see what I mean, the reference pressure for half loaded (standard)/fully loaded van will change accordingly.

just try to play with various preloaded sizes on settings and you will see what I mean, the reference pressure for half loaded (standard)/fully loaded van will change accordingly.
Do you mean that the actual tyre pressures displayed will be accurate but the reference pressures will be wrong? Not sure I ever quite understood it so figured I’d stick to a 235/55R17 :D

Do you mean that the actual tyre pressures displayed will be accurate but the reference pressures will be wrong? Not sure I ever quite understood it so figured I’d stick to a 235/55R17 :D
If it's like the TPMS on my Audi S4, its user programmable. Inflate the tyres to the correct pressure, record the pressures on the service page of the user control panel and Bob's your Uncle. Or does the Cali system work differently. Come to think of it there were no tyre size options selectable on screen.

If it's like the TPMS on my Audi S4, its user programmable. Inflate the tyres to the correct pressure, record the pressures on the service page of the user control panel and Bob's your Uncle. Or does the Cali system work differently. Come to think of it there were no tyre size options selectable on screen.

That’s how it works in my T6 but I think there is an active option in the T6.1 which uses valve sensors but I could be wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unit

I curse this page. The Cali purchase already drained my wallet.

Now I’ve spent another 10% of the cost on stuff for it before I’ve even got the keys

In 12-18 months time you'll remember that it was only 10% with fondness.

exactly.
again, try to switch on wheels size selector between 215/65/17 and 235/55/17, the indicated pressure from the tyres will be the same, but the reference level will be 3.8 atm. in the first case and 3.0 in the second.
it only sets the recommended levels, and for sure if you choose the option 215/65/17 wheel and have a 235/55/17 wheel on your car to the correct pressure - 3.0, you will get noticed for low pressure as the standard pressure for the narrower wheel selected would be 3.8 atm.

please, what's the name of the 2nd rhino, as I am not able to find it on their site?
I was not even remotely supposed to change my wheels, but I feel like I'm getting started intoxicated by this thread.

Ahh, You didn’t read financial warning small print on this thread!?

it's different, see my above post.

That’s how it works in my T6 but I think there is an active option in the T6.1 which uses valve sensors but I could be wrong?

Yeah there is a sensor in each tyre with active TPMS (which adds another ~£120 to the cost of aftermarket wheels if you want to keep your originals ready to fit as well).

See pics for the presets (no option to edit) and where you can select between a full load or a standard load, as well as the Discover Pro pressure display.

IMG_2567.jpeg

IMG_2568.jpeg

IMG_2570.jpeg

exactly.
again, try to switch on wheels size selector between 215/65/17 and 235/55/17, the indicated pressure from the tyres will be the same, but the reference level will be 3.8 atm. in the first case and 3.0 in the second.
it only sets the recommended levels, and for sure if you choose the option 215/65/17 wheel and have a 235/55/17 wheel on your car to the correct pressure - 3.0, you will get noticed for low pressure as the standard pressure for the narrower wheel selected would be 3.8 atm.
What would be the difference in correct reference pressure between 235/55R17 and 235/65R17 anyway? Can’t imagine it’d be huge.

What would be the difference in correct reference pressure between 235/55R17 and 235/65R17 anyway? Can’t imagine it’d be huge.
235/55R17- 3.0 atm.
215/60R17 - 3.8 atm.
sorry, I was wrong in previous post saying 215/65R17...
in your stated case I presume is insignificant, should be around the same value.
and sorry for "atm.", I am on continent...

Am going for Michelin AGILIS Crossclimate when they come into stock at the of Jan. On the Tomahawk Kato’s. They will be my spring summer tyre. 235/60/17 114 load rating.
Heard great things.
The BFG / Falken WP / AT Grabber are all too noisy of motorway for more than 70% of your use.
Winter I run 255/45/18 winter contacts.

Spoke to somebody knowledgeable about this, you'd run a 235/65R17 at the same pressure as you would run a 235/55R17 so there wouldn't be an issue with setting 235/55R17 in the TPMS system and running the bigger tyre on the van, both the reference pressure and actual pressure would be correct on the system. Just passing along as there are considerably more tyre options in a 235/65R17.

Last edited:
Am going for Michelin AGILIS Crossclimate when they come into stock at the of Jan. On the Tomahawk Kato’s. They will be my spring summer tyre. 235/60/17 114 load rating.
Heard great things.
The BFG / Falken WP / AT Grabber are all too noisy of motorway for more than 70% of your use.
Winter I run 255/45/18 winter contacts.
I keep reading how quiet the Falkens are. But I suppose that’s on a relative basis to other A/T tyres.

There are different models under the Falken Wild Peak umbrella. For a quieter ride the Trail model gets good reviews.

It looks like the quietist Falkens are 69db vs the KO2's at 74db. I’ve no idea what difference that makes in the real world though.

It looks like the quietist Falkens are 69db vs the KO2's at 74db. I’ve no idea what difference that makes in the real world though.

In theory every 3 dB is twice as loud.

I just google fact checked and read this (not specific to tyres though as a caveat)

“Although an increase of 3 dB represents a doubling of the sound pressure, an increase of about 10 dB is required before the sound subjectively appears to be twice as loud. The smallest change we can hear is about 3 dB.”

Some more guff if you’re not bored already.

“The 3dB 'trading effect' means for every 3 dB the sound level increases the impact on hearing health which is doubled. For example, 63 dB(A) is twice as noisy as 60 dB(A). The relevance of this is apparent when considering exposure to hazardous level of noise.”