Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

VERY useful tool to compare diameter, side wall, width, rev/mile, will answer many questions RE various sizes of tyres compared to your factory fittings.
you might know about it already...

In between discussing matters of huge gravity such as curtains, cushions and floral decals, I mentioned the inflatable kayak to Mrs Vecino - namely how to transport it.

Given interior space will be tight, with all the coffee paraphernalia, Michelin camp kitchen, craft beer and beard wax, how do you carry your watercraft kit?

I was thinking SUP for me & kayak for the Vecino clan. Do you transport in the bags, inflated on a roof/side rack or do they fit neatly in one of those Wolf ( ?), boxes for a roof rack?

In between discussing matters of huge gravity such as curtains, cushions and floral decals, I mentioned the inflatable kayak to Mrs Vecino - namely how to transport it.

Given interior space will be tight, with all the coffee paraphernalia, Michelin camp kitchen, craft beer and beard wax, how do you carry your watercraft kit?

I was thinking SUP for me & kayak for the Vecino clan. Do you transport in the bags, inflated on a roof/side rack or do they fit neatly in one of those Wolf ( ?), boxes for a roof rack?

A pack raft will fit neatly in a wolf pack. An inflatable SUP/kayak won’t - I put mine on the roof in a heavy duty bag. I think a lot of people use a large box fitted to either the VW bike rack on a tow bar mounted rack. Obviously that only works if you aren’t carrying bikes. I was assuming your new state of the art eMTB would be going on the rack…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i carry the SUP in its bag, pretty voluminous, but once got there I have to move it around on the roof rack which is a pain in behind getting up and down twice a day.
that is why I keep thinking on the black tailgate ladder from FrontRunner.
IMG_8229.jpgIMG_8237.jpg

i carry the SUP in its bag, pretty voluminous, but once got there I have to move it around on the roof rack which is a pain in behind getting up and down twice a day.
View attachment 118153View attachment 118154

This might help: BougeRV Car Door Step, Universal Fit Car Step, Car Door Pedal Roof Door Step Load Capacity with EU Patent, Maximum Load 204 kg, Stable for Cars, SUVs, Door Hooks Larger than 1.75 cm / 0.69 Inches https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09T2HVY8H?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_GZK7JXG1SV2D0ACAX8X3&language=en-GB

Yes the ladder is great for quick access to the roof.

I have seen people carry surfboards on the side using airline track rails. I have some which I use for recovery boards etc. They fit in the passenger side awning rail and with magnets on the bottom so no drilling. A fully inflated SUP might be a bit bulky on the side though?

So this definitely has a place here.... just found these on Amazon....

No permanent fixing. Top half held on via the awning rail. Bottom half via magnets. Obviously not for tires etc; but certainly a good swamer feel! Just not for the sliding door side :D

That’s pretty identical to my set up, didn’t realise you could buy them on Amazon! I paid a bit more from Gruenthal and Hess do something very similar but at Hess prices!

That’s pretty identical to my set up, didn’t realise you could buy them on Amazon! I paid a bit more from Gruenthal and Hess do something very similar but at Hess prices!

Hess is well known for copying designs and putting their logo on it at high prices.

Can’t imagine this sort of thing is great for your paintwork?

Definitely an issue re voluminous bags. My SUP bag is a ‘rucksack’, but unless you’re a commando, you’re not doing a 12 mile hike with it on your back.

Would take up half the boot. Fine for day/overnight trips. But from experience a pain on longer trips.

I have seen people carry surfboards on the side using airline track rails. I have some which I use for recovery boards etc. They fit in the passenger side awning rail and with magnets on the bottom so no drilling. A fully inflated SUP might be a bit bulky on the side though?

My SUP would be like a spinnaker on the side.

Think shoving in a heavier duty bag on a roof rack works.

Whyte was what I was looking at

How is the ride/noise vs 17” tarmac tyres? And what sort of % decline in MPG?

I’m coming around to a split identity Ocean.

SwampThing autumn & winter for me to potter on my own and channel my inner woodsman. Monochrome grey & black, craft beer, coffee & coals.

CampThing spring & summer. Fairy lights, Woodstock alloys, tea & campfires.

Maybe even some magnetic flowery decals for my daughter.
The ride is even better, of course full braking at high speed is worse but no increase in sound level. I would say about 10% more fuel.

My SUP would be like a spinnaker on the side.

Think shoving in a heavier duty bag on a roof rack works.

TBH I’m not entirely sure it would be road legal on the side either! Might be handy for short portages around a lake etc though

That’s what Mrs V and the child are for.
You could probably strap your child on there for short trips to make space in the van for the coffee and craft beer set up

I just checked and the weight limit is 30kg so I reckon it’ll work. Front Runner do some nice padded ratchet straps that wouldn’t chafe too much.

the airline track rails won't work for SUP to me, cause my "passenger" side (no awning and slide door) is the driver side, so with the SUP in place (3.3 m) I wont'b be able to get to the wheel any more :)

Damnit I do love Indium. When we were contempting (but not (but were)) a Grand California, Indium was top of the list.

Those wheels dont look bad at all either! I like those!! Also like the matt vinyl strip. That with some arch protectors and i'd be well chuffed.

This might help: BougeRV Car Door Step, Universal Fit Car Step, Car Door Pedal Roof Door Step Load Capacity with EU Patent, Maximum Load 204 kg, Stable for Cars, SUVs, Door Hooks Larger than 1.75 cm / 0.69 Inches https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09T2HVY8H?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_GZK7JXG1SV2D0ACAX8X3&language=en-GB

thanks, have you used it yourself, fits okay to the door lock latch?
as I understand from reviews does not fit all cars, sometimes the hook too large.