Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

Very similar to how I have mine set up, I have drop down table that I mount to the molle board when not using it for recovery boards. I even have the privacy room like in two of the pictures. I thought that was my original idea as it took me ages to find hardware I could use to mount it to the awning rail! Terranger rival Hess for their pricing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have an ongoing feud between them. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very similar to how I have mine set up, I have drop down table that I mount to the molle board when not using it for recovery boards. I even have the privacy room like in two of the pictures. I thought that was my original idea as it took me ages to find hardware I could use to mount it to the awning rail! Terranger rival Hess for their pricing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But do you have the little cheese & wine board? Domestic bliss after you’ve stalked a deer and skinned it with your bare teeth.

Amusing juxtaposition amongst the off-roading survival kit.

Last edited:
Before getting the 50 Nord or similar shelves, did any of you try the IKEA Sunersta hack?

We've done the Sunnersta rail. Works fine, but it's a little flimsy. You wouldn't be able to hang up a spear-caught fish, let alone an axe. But for your odd bit of light trinkets and kitchen paper it works fine.

BigTed (I think?) can offer 3D printed hooks which do the job. They're printed from PLA (a relatively eco form of plastic made from cornstarch) but they do have a bit of flex to them. Most certainly the cheapest way to get an above-kitchen rail.

Last edited:
We've done the Sunnersta rail. Works fine, but it's a little flimsy. You wouldn't be able to hang up a spear-caught fish, let alone an axe. But for your odd bit of light trinkets and kitchen paper it works fine.

BigTed (I think?) can offer 3D printed hooks which do the job. They're printed from PLA (a relatively eco form of plastic made from cornstarch) but they do have a bit of flex to them. Most certainly the cheapest way to get an above-kitchen rail.
Would it support the weight of a gaffer-taped 4 year old?

I’ve let myself down and sullied the family name.

I should have asked how to bend some 10mm rebar with my bare hands and shape hooks on an anvil.

Would it support the weight of a gaffer-taped 4 year old?
Depends; did the 4 year old gaffer-tape themselves, or would it be you? Because my daughter's done that, and I kid you not - the amount she used could have restrained an elephant; traumatic for all. Except Scotch - they ended up selling a replacement roll that same day....

Depends; did the 4 year old gaffer-tape themselves, or would it be you? Because my daughter's done that, and I kid you not - the amount she used could have restrained an elephant; traumatic for all. Except Scotch - they ended up selling a replacement roll that same day....
Mental note made. Secure child, secure gaffer tape in van safe. She’s a live wire, could easily imagine her recreating this scene.

Mental note made. Secure child, secure gaffer tape in van safe. She’s a live wire, could easily imagine her recreating this scene.

Oh, you didn't mention about live wire! In that case, use wire insulation tape. Dont take risks.

For my sins I watch Campervibe on YT. An entertaining couple who go places I enjoy seeing, especially on the Continent. They have a self converted Fiat FWD (Ducato?) with swamper wheels and Falken WP A/T tyres. Last week they were in Spain and went down a muddy track that got increasingly soggy. Needless to say they decided to turnaround and head back the way they came. The Falken traction in muddy conditions seemed less than effective. Wheel spin only served to dig them deeper and deeper into a hole. Me thinks they should have packed traction mats. Even so the performance of the Falkens was less than inspiring.

For my sins I watch Campervibe on YT. An entertaining couple who go places I enjoy seeing, especially on the Continent. They have a self converted Fiat FWD (Ducato?) with swamper wheels and Falken WP A/T tyres. Last week they were in Spain and went down a muddy track that got increasingly soggy. Needless to say they decided to turnaround and head back the way they came. The Falken traction in muddy conditions seemed less than effective. Wheel spin only served to dig them deeper and deeper into a hole. Me thinks they should have packed traction mats. Even so the performance of the Falkens was less than inspiring.
That’s not ideal

I'd trade in the Fiat before I'd consider changing my Falkens. My guess is they didn't air down, have smaller 16 inch wheels and it's not a 4x4 with diff lock. I wouldn't be too quick to blame the tyres. I've been in some pretty challenging mud and wet grass with mine without issue with 4Motion and diff lock and ensuring to air down.

That’s not ideal
And luckily a passing local driving a small 4x4 managed to get a tow line on them and eventually extracted them from the holes, otherwise they might still be there. Happened a couple of times on the return journey. Looking at the vid it seemed the mud was embedding in the tread effectively creating slicks and making them lose traction.

I'd trade in the Fiat before I'd consider changing my Falkens. My guess is they didn't air down, have smaller 16 inch wheels and it's not a 4x4 with diff lock. I wouldn't be too quick to blame the tyres. I've been in some pretty challenging mud and wet grass with mine without issue with 4Motion and diff lock and ensuring to air down.
Correct 16 inchers with Falken wildpeak ATW3A tyres. FWD, manual transmission.

AT tyres aren’t the best in mud, they do brilliantly in clearing snow and sand but for deep mud then a more aggressive tyre that clears mud more efficiently will always perform better. The trade off is they will be even worse on road which is where most of us will spend the vast majority of our time. 4WD/4Motion and a diff lock paired with AT’s will handle pretty much anything we are likely to put our vans through especially with a set of recovery boards.

For the vast majority of us mud tyres are on the wrong side of the compromise equation.

AT tyres aren’t the best in mud, they do brilliantly in clearing snow and sand but for deep mud then a more aggressive tyre that clears mud more efficiently will always perform better. The trade off is they will be even worse on road which is where most of us will spend the vast majority of our time. 4WD/4Motion and a diff lock paired with AT’s will handle pretty much anything we are likely to put our vans through especially with a set of recovery boards.

For the vast majority of us mud tyres are on the wrong side of the compromise equation.

One of the biggest mistakes I've seen is people not spec'ing the locking diff on a Cali. My close friend has a Beach and made it a Swamper but doesn't have the diff lock. He's super bummed out due to that! Retrofit is quite expensive at 7K Chf in Switzerland.

One of the biggest mistakes I've seen is people not spec'ing the locking diff on a Cali. My close friend has a Beach and made it a Swamper but doesn't have the diff lock. He's super bummed out due to that! Retrofit is quite expensive at 7K Chf in Switzerland.

Agreed, even if it’s never used the owner will always get their money back on resale, it’s a sought after extra for those buying a 4M and as you say a very expensive retro fit. It really does make a difference to off road performance too, even on a muddy camping field. One of the most smug moments of my Cali ownership was towing a Sprinter 4x4 out of rut he had dug trying to escape a boggy field - I couldn’t have done it without the locker though.

Agreed, even if it’s never used the owner will always get their money back on resale, it’s a sought after extra for those buying a 4M and as you say a very expensive retro fit. It really does make a difference to off road performance too, even on a muddy camping field. One of the most smug moments of my Cali ownership was towing a Sprinter 4x4 out of rut he had dug trying to escape a boggy field - I couldn’t have done it without the locker though.

I’d have loved to witness that! I love cruising up icy and snowy roads in the Swiss alps passing SUV’s that are struggling. The look on their faces is priceless.

Yes its all about application. For me I have no plans to hit the scree and dried river beds so I'm unlikely to use the capabilities offered by the manual diff. I came down on the side that it was one more complicated part that could fail and the costs are also very high to replace.

Yes its all about application. For me I have no plans to hit the scree and dried river beds so I'm unlikely to use the capabilities offered by the manual diff. I came down on the side that it was one more complicated part that could fail and the costs are also very high to replace.

Absolutely. A very high percentage of SUV’s, Swamper builds, etc are for looks and almost never see real off-road usage.

Failure of the diff lock is ironically often down to it rarely being used. It’s good practice to engage it every few weeks to stop it from ‘sticking’ and eventually seizing. I can imagine how frustrating it would be to have looked at that magic button on the dash for two years and then it not working the one time you need it!

Has diff lock ever been an option on the Beach?