Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

You can wild camp on Dartmoor now right?

The ancient bylaws that were challenged in court by a landowner recently apply only to wild camping in a tent (which I’ve done many times). That said there is a local tolerance to camping in small vans which again I’ve done many times. I have a favourite spot near a very remote camping field. I get stunning views on the moor and can nip through the gate and use their composting toilet in an emergency!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ancient bylaws that were challenged in court by a landowner recently apply only to wild camping in a tent (which I’ve done many times). That said there is a local tolerance to camping in small vans which again I’ve done many times. I have a favourite spot near a very remote camping field. I get stunning views on the moor and can nip through the gate and use their composting toilet in an emergency!

Going to be one of our first destinations in the van.

Looking at roof racks - the front runner looks great. But it is a lumpy sum.

Are there any others that look good and work well that are a bit more wallet friendly?

Going to be one of our first destinations in the van.

Looking at roof racks - the front runner looks great. But it is a lumpy sum.

Are there any others that look good and work well that are a bit more wallet friendly?

I saw someone on the forum Facebook page was selling a Thule basket. Not as nice as the FR imo but still pretty handsome in a retro Landy type of vibe?

I saw someone on the forum Facebook page was selling a Thule basket. Not as nice as the FR imo but still pretty handsome in a retro Landy type of vibe?

I kind of like a basket roof rack, Rhino do one. But it suits an older van imo.

The front runner low profile is a great look on the T6

But a terrible look on my bank balance.

I kind of like a basket roof rack, Rhino do one. But it suits an older van imo.

The front runner low profile is a great look on the T6

But a terrible look on my bank balance.

If I had a Cali I’d prefer this one so I could have both a rack and still have solar. But yes, still pricey as quality product:

View attachment 118120I’ve got the Falkens on my Wolfrace wheels; excellent tyre (hardly any noise).
How long have you had the Wolfrace wheels on for @Cwcltd? Am quite taken with the Wolverines (look similar to KMC holeshots) but their trustpilot reviews don’t look brilliant for durability of finish.

IMG_2590.jpeg

How long have you had the Wolfrace wheels on for @Cwcltd? Am quite taken with the Wolverines (look similar to KMC holeshots) but their trustpilot reviews don’t look brilliant for durability of finish.

View attachment 118329
8th October 2021 (to be precise ) No problems or marks, still like new. I’ll also add that when initially fitted, the sliding door was rubbing on the tyre slightly; no fuss from Wolfrace, they made some adjustments and sent new wheels.

If I had a Cali I’d prefer this one so I could have both a rack and still have solar. But yes, still pricey as quality product:

I have a 100w panel mounted on my FR roof rack but TBF I don’t have the same power requirements as you. The back part of the rack is still big enough for my tyre table, a couple of wolf packs and a SUP

I like the front light bars on the roof.
But then went Lazer lamps as want to stay under 2.2 m
Have we talked solar panels and how to get 3 panels on the roof, so I can use my new fricking laser beam to defeat drones. Maybe. In the forest ?

I like the front light bars on the roof.
But then went Lazer lamps as want to stay under 2.2 m
Have we talked solar panels and how to get 3 panels on the roof, so I can use my new fricking laser beam to defeat drones. Maybe. In the forest ?

What I don’t like about 3 panels is you then wire them in series. 2 panels in parallel is superior with any shading. Especially in a forest!

Where on earth do you strap the deer carcass that you hunted earlier?

On the towbar bike rack of course.
We’re not Neanderthals, all that blood & guts, P & S in the living quarters.

What I don’t like about 3 panels is you then wire them in series. 2 panels in parallel is superior with any shading. Especially in a forest!

Nope, all 3 in parallel.
My thought was exactly that.
Not much camping happening in Winter months, but in Spring, Summer & Autumn, it will charge for a longer time period at less amps.
I don’t need a high flow of amps, but a longer trickle charge as it were.

I did want to go roof rack and ladder but I have a few regular 2.2 m car parks.

So thought, towbar bike rack and box would be a compromise for me.
Also stow the tinnies on the bike rack so the cooling effect whilst doing a ton up on the gravel plains keeps the beer cold.

Exactly !
This is why we have an ice box set at 1, plenty of ice to stuff inside the cavity.

On a separate note, I need to find a way of being able to split the incoming PV, with a 3 way switch.
So I can have off, to Victron 100/20 or to an XT60i cable end to charge the EcoFlow up.
Any ideas from the field ?
Or shall I just charge the EcoFlow delta 2 up from the 300w converter like I’ve trailed.
Works, Ok, but not very power efficient.

8th October 2021 (to be precise ) No problems or marks, still like new. I’ll also add that when initially fitted, the sliding door was rubbing on the tyre slightly; no fuss from Wolfrace, they made some adjustments and sent new wheels.
Thanks mate. Tempted I must say, can get them for £743 at the moment. Was the rubbing due to a manufacturing defect?

Last edited: