Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

@Jimmylondon07 here’s a Fortana Red with BR Units from the FB group. Sourced from Elite Alloys

View attachment 118360
Yeah saw that pic on there mate, thanks for that. I think Units are off my list, really considering these Wolfrace Wolverines but the load rating isn’t as high as some (875kg) and I’m a bit dubious about the durability, only a two year warranty on them as well. Decisions decisions!

Had a bit of a touch on the tyre front though, my old man’s mate runs a garage and owes him a favour so he’ll do free fitting and cost price on any tyres I want! Quoted me £96 a corner for the Wildpeaks, can’t knock that. Going to get prices for General Grabber AT3, Michelin Latitude Cross and Cross Climate 2 all in a 235/55R17 in the morning as something in the back of my head is still saying ‘stick to the standard sizes’.

Last edited:
Yeah saw that pic on there mate, thanks for that. I think Units are off my list, really considering these Wolfrace Wolverines but the load rating isn’t as high as some (875kg) and I’m a bit dubious about the durability, only a two year warranty on them as well. Decisions decisions!

Had a bit of a touch on the tyre front though, my old man’s mate runs a garage and owes him a favour so he’ll do free fitting and cost price on any tyres I want! Quoted me £96 a corner for the Wildpeaks, can’t knock that. Going to get prices for General Grabber AT3, Michelin Latitude Cross and Cross Climate 2 all in a 235/55R17 in the morning as something in the back of my head is still saying ‘stick to the standard sizes’.
Think of your friends too eh. ;)

HOLD FIRE
NEW WILDPEAKS OUT NOW
Wildpeak A/T4W

HOLD FIRE
NEW WILDPEAKS OUT NOW
Wildpeak A/T4W
200.gif

Are Twin Monotube wheels available in the UK?
Yes they are. VWt5 upgrades and a few others stock them. I think Transporter HQ did but not sure if they still so as they are heavily pushing their own rims.

Exactly this.
Like I did at a Disney store for Buzz lightyear for my Son. Wow 29 years ago.
First and last time I did that.
I used to work for Eurostar many moons ago and I used to get free train, entrance and hotels at Disneyland Paris. My kids used to go three times a year, it got to the stage where my lad said can we go somewhere else Dad. Ungrateful brats!

Overkill for primarily road use? Thats a lot of unsprung weight.
Absolutely!
Like rolling with 4 boulders strapped to your bearings !

Overkill for primarily road use? Thats a lot of unsprung weight.

I came down this track today and thought I might struggle to get back up as it got very wet after the storm hit. The KO2’s cruised up and didn’t even need the locker. The Wildpeaks are apparently even better in the mud.

I agree with your point about them being overkill for 95% of the time but that other 5% is the most fun!
db3ce2642750cd1ce4ba075e8ac232f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m musing when I became such a perfumed ponce.

Once upon a time, all I worried about was where the next bottle shop was to load a slab of beer into the van.

Now? I’m worried about portable power banks, mattresses, espresso makers, induction hobs and lord knows what other paraphernalia.

I’m sure I once rattled about the outback in a clapped out Transporter on road tyres with a Jerrycan of water and a prayer.

Now I need a military spec survival vehicle to take my kid camping for the weekend.

Ah well, her safety is paramount. That’s how I justify the spiralling costs to my wife,

I came down this track today and thought I might struggle to get back up as it got very wet after the storm hit. The KO2’s cruised up and didn’t even need the locker. The Wildpeaks are apparently even better in the mud.

I agree with your point about them being overkill for 95% of the time but that other 5% is the most fun!
db3ce2642750cd1ce4ba075e8ac232f2.jpg

I’m kind of rueing my parsimony not ordering 4 Motion since discovering this thread. In build now, too late to sob.

I figure I amass the kit now. If I get properly stuck into Swamp life I can always buy at 4WD and move the kit over.

I’m kind of rueing my parsimony not ordering 4 Motion since discovering this thread. In build now, too late to sob.

I figure I amass the kit now. If I get properly stuck into Swamp life I can always buy at 4WD and move the kit over.

As per the title of this thread the Cali was my mid-life crisis treat. I did some overlanding and green laning in my yoof so the purchase was partly about living some past glories. In truth the opportunity to get ‘off road’ and test the capability of the 4M is very limited in the UK. Sounds like you did some van travel in Oz which would be incredible in a modern and comfortable Cali. I suspect that will remain an unticked item on my bucket list.

Mid-life crisis 2.0 is a trip through the Balkans down to Greece next year which is how I justify all the mods to Ms Slammer. She does love it too so I’m lucky that it’s not too hard a sell!

As per the title of this thread the Cali was my mid-life crisis treat. I did some overlanding and green laning in my yoof so the purchase was partly about living some past glories. In truth the opportunity to get ‘off road’ and test the capability of the 4M is very limited in the UK. Sounds like you did some van travel in Oz which would be incredible in a modern and comfortable Cali. I suspect that will remain an unticked item on my bucket list.

Mid-life crisis 2.0 is a trip through the Balkans down to Greece next year which is how I justify all the mods to Ms Slammer. She does love it too so I’m lucky that it’s not too hard a sell!

All my ramblings are self-deprecating fluff. I love all the modern kit.

I drove a 72 Bay Window from Perth to Darwin and across the top of Oz to Queensland when I was a yoof. Amazing fun, wild camping by the side of remote roads. Young, dumb, clueless. Fun.

I had a Splitscreen in my 20s. Tried one again with the family, but I’m older and more precious now.

Agreed re UK and lack of true off-road adventure on tap. I enjoy seeing your jaunts.

If I had a Cali I’d prefer this one so I could have both a rack and still have solar. But yes, still pricey as quality product:

I looked at the FR rack; great piece of kit but heavy and would have obscured the solar panel. Went for a Thule Trail, on Wingbars lowered using @Johnboy mounts (superb). Other plus with the Thule is it’s easier to get on/off.
Thule 2.jpg

I looked at the FR rack; great piece of kit but heavy and would have obscured the solar panel. Went for a Thule Trail, on Wingbars lowered using @Johnboy mounts (superb). Other plus with the Thule is it’s easier to get on/off.
View attachment 118379
@Johnboy ’s mounts are pure gold, I got some for my Thule roof bars.
Your rack looks hawt !

View attachment 118379
Ouit of interest, whats your logic for putting it where you have? Are you using one of those door latch steps?

Would have thought it would have been better to have the weight distributed to the rear and panels up front.