Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

Don't do this to me gents, thought I'd locked it down! Personal preference but I prefer the look of the Grabber, however they do also do a 235/65R17 Grabber (that's what's in the pic). Aaaarrggghhh!!

Don't do this to me gents, thought I'd locked it down! Personal preference but I prefer the look of the Grabber, however they do also do a 235/65R17 Grabber (that's what's in the pic). Aaaarrggghhh!!
I think this thread should evolve and focus entirely on making giving you analysis paralysis :D

Once tyres are done, we'll then move onto Coilovers. :D

I think this thread should evolve and focus entirely on making giving you analysis paralysis :D

Once tyres are done, we'll then move onto Coilovers. :D

Coilovers? It’s all about air suspension and auto leveling when you park up to camp at the touch of a button!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coilovers? It’s all about air suspension and auto leveling when you park up to camp at the touch of a button!

The dream.

When I’m feeling curmudgeonly I poo-poo air suspension on all vehicles as another thing to go wrong.

When I’m being honest with myself, I would love to have it.

Just wanted to add to this thread as I have been running this set up for a couple of years now. I chose 17" Black Rhino Warlord wheels and Pirelli AT+ (225/65/17) as I also had the STX coilovers fitted at the same time.
Yes I know some will comment on the coilover choice with swamper wheels but the combination works perfectly for me and the ride is far superior to the standard suspension.
Reason for 225/65/17 was to reduce any clearance issues as the Cali is circa -50mm lowered.

Cali Wheels.jpg

out of curiosity, my van is two tone (dark blue bottom, white top) and I keep thinking these sort of fat wheels wouldn't look particularly good with those colours. Anyone got a pic of such a combination? My Google foo is failing me

hi did you fit the hess side rails? how do they attach? they look spot on
As I'm a mechanical numpty, Matt at T5 Upgrades supplied and fitted the rocksliders at the same time as doing all the other upgrades

can you see how they are attached ?

Have you got your underbody protection yet? I got mine earlier in the week but haven’t fitted. Look’s straightforward enough but I need access to a ramp. I got a 6mm aluminium front skid plate and same for the diff. I reckon it’ll add about 12-13kg to the van so not too bad. I did see a black steel version which was a bit lighter & cheaper but only 2mm so not massively more protective than the flimsy plastic.

Have you got your underbody protection yet? I got mine earlier in the week but haven’t fitted. Look’s straightforward enough but I need access to a ramp. I got a 6mm aluminium front skid plate and same for the diff. I reckon it’ll add about 12-13kg to the van so not too bad. I did see a black steel version which was a bit lighter & cheaper but only 2mm so not massively more protective than the flimsy plastic.

I could dent 2mm steel with a hard stare

I would avoid doing the full underbody protection. What you’ve got should be fine, but I know of several cases now with full underbody protection where heat builds up and is trapped which causes all sorts of problems. I have the same setup as you from Hess.