Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

I would avoid doing the full underbody protection. What you’ve got should be fine, but I know of several cases now with full underbody protection where heat builds up and is trapped which causes all sorts of problems. I have the same setup as you from Hess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my thoughts. Initially I was going with just the front skid plate but Defender90 convinced me that protecting the diff is sensible and I concur. With my rock sliders I should be covered for anything I am likely to do.

Tyres…think I’m settled on the Grabber AT3s but am still unsure whether to get a 235/55R17 103H or a 235/65R17 108V. Stock seems limited in most places on the 235/55 so I’m wondering if they’re phasing that out which puts me off a bit…final call, will I DEFINITELY not have any issues running a 235/65R17 on stock suspension and with active TPMS? Don’t want to get this wrong.

Have bought these TPMS sensors already, seem to be the ones that Rogue and others use.

Last edited:
Tyres…think I’m settled on the Grabber AT3s but am still unsure whether to get a 235/55R17 103H or a 235/65R17 108V. Stock seems limited in most places on the 235/55 so I’m wondering if they’re phasing that out which puts me off a bit…final call, will I DEFINITELY not have any issues running a 235/65R17 on stock suspension and with active TPMS? Don’t want to get this wrong.

Have bought these TPMS sensors already, seem to be the ones that Rogue and others use.
IMG_6107.jpeg
235/65r17 KO2’s ran for 6k miles. No issues.
No tPMS , but tpms, only shows pressure inside the tyre.
If it was going to affect anything it would be ABS for the axle turning.
But they still turn nicely on the French autobahn !!

ff4cfba9-25f5-47f6-8767-c6eb34b16c2b.jpeg
Now Comforser 235/65r17
No TPMs, MY23, runs sweet, no issues.
So IMHO go for 235/65r17.
Good to go.

active TPMS no issue for either dimension, will work the same.
as for the size, check the diff below: Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 16.28.49.png

strictly for me, being probably sort of stickler person (not sure if right english term), as you also appear to be, I would go for 235/55/R17 103H, as I will otherwise constantly worry on wheel clearance with a NON-raised suspension van, and also the load and speed index, 103H, will be exactly the same recommended by the manufacturer, meaning the sidewall rigidness is correct and not stiffer as for 108V.
just me...

strictly for me, being probably sort of stickler person (not sure if right english term), as you also appear to be, I would go for 235/55/R17 103H, as I will otherwise constantly worry on wheel clearance with a NON-raised suspension van, and also the load and speed index, 103H, will be exactly the same recommended by the manufacturer, meaning the sidewall rigidness is correct and not stiffer as for 108V.
just me...

Maybe it helps someone. Here’s a complete table in pdf showing all the dimensions and such and what’s required to run them such as lift or not. Sorry, but only in German:

Maybe it helps someone. Here’s a complete table in pdf showing all the dimensions and such and what’s required to run them such as lift or not. Sorry, but only in German:

Maybe this link works:

just me...
less appearance but more peace of mind :)

just me...
Stickler’s the right term and I think I agree with you :) I may just check they’re still in production though as it’d be annoying if I had to change one before the others

Hello all. I take ownership of my dream Cali this week. A T6 Ocean with full swamper mods. I’ve previously been a frequent Campervan renter and love wild camping with my partner and our dog. I’m exited for more adventures on and off the beaten track and I look forward to tapping into the wisdom of this group.
I’ve found the group to be extremely knowledgeable and open to sharing advice and opinions

After TUV-gate on the Rogue Alloy thread, I remembered the Sparco Gravel wheels post.

Fuel Vectors vs Spacro Gravel head to head? Answers on a postcard. Or post.

IMG_1048.jpeg

IMG_1049.jpeg

Definitely the Sparcos. The rim on the Fuel looks weird and faux beadlock bolts are naff. It also looks quite vulnerable to curb rash.
Fuel Vector Wheels with A/T Tyres VW Transporter for sale in Co. Wicklow  for €1,850 on DoneDealFuel Vector Wheels with A/T Tyres VW Transporter for sale in Co. Wicklow  for €1,850 on DoneDeal482 × 600

Have you got your underbody protection yet? I got mine earlier in the week but haven’t fitted. Look’s straightforward enough but I need access to a ramp. I got a 6mm aluminium front skid plate and same for the diff. I reckon it’ll add about 12-13kg to the van so not too bad. I did see a black steel version which was a bit lighter & cheaper but only 2mm so not massively more protective than the flimsy plastic.

hi sorry i missed this, no not yet still debating.Which company did you get them from?

Yes the added complexity is a concern but there are a few on the forum that have put in some big miles on and off road on VB air.

I used to kayak but these days we use the SUP’s more. I do have a pack raft that I’ve barely used which packs down ridiculously small and weighs less than 6kg including the paddle. I plan to use it more often this year, if this rain doesn’t stop soon I might need it to get to the shops…

You have just cost me another £800 lol i have purchased a packraft anfibio rebel 2k only weighs 2kg looks amazing and will free loads of space for my Europe trip in june.

You have just cost me another £800 lol i have purchased a packraft anfibio rebel 2k only weighs 2kg looks amazing and will free loads of space for my Europe trip in june.
I really like that. Might be on my must have list in the near future just from a versatility POV. I like the fact it has a keel fin to provide a little more stability. And at 2kg the kayak is really easy to live with even if hiking.