Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

Let me look for the one I was musing years ago before kids & practically came into my life.

I had worked out it would take a Duke 390, which now exists in Adventure format and would be a perfect getaway vehicle when family camping so I can go howl at the moon.

Here’s another option called the “shorty”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gents, you seem a moderately sensible bunch. My daughter is obsessed with Lyme Regis and as it’s close to Poole thinking of an inaugural weekend trip there when we collect the van.

We stayed at Wytchwood campsite https://wytch-wood.co.uk/ the other year, which was moderately remote & peaceful, but a fair trek from LR.

Anyone know any good spots on that coastline? Im
thinking polar opposite of Caravan Club with onsite pub.

Gents, you seem a moderately sensible bunch. My daughter is obsessed with Lyme Regis and as it’s close to Poole thinking of an inaugural weekend trip there when we collect the van.

We stayed at Wytchwood campsite https://wytch-wood.co.uk/ the other year, which was moderately remote & peaceful, but a fair trek from LR.

Anyone know any good spots on that coastline? Im
thinking polar opposite of Caravan Club with onsite pub.

The challenge will be finding something open. There is a CS sites near Axminster that might fit the bill - Merrydown Camping.

just a short technical question, not worth to open a new thread for that, when you folks calculate mpg do you use imperial gallon, don't you?
need to compare your mpg fuel consumption to my l/100km, and don't know what gallon to use, thanks.

just a short technical question, not worth to open a new thread for that, when you folks calculate mpg do you use imperial gallon, don't you?
need to compare your mpg fuel consumption to my l/100km, and don't know what gallon to use, thanks.
Yes imperial, not US gallons which are smaller.

and a heck of a lot cheaper :headbang
Just over 30% more expensive in UK, although distances traveled in the US tend to be further so swings and roundabouts. Average commute in UK is 20 miles or less per day but in US its 37 miles.

To confirm it’s 4.55 litres to an imperial gallon.

I get around 11 km/l on a run on my 204 4 motion with the 255/55/18 KO2’s, full tank and water + roof rack etc. Not great but it’s better than my old Landrover did.

I get around 11 km/l on a run on my 204 4 motion with the 255/55/18 KO2’s, full tank and water + roof rack etc. Not great but it’s better than my old Landrover did.

I’m getting 12.2 l/100km with a fully loaded Club Joker highroof weighing in at 3.3-3.4 ton loaded up.

I’m getting 12.2 l/100km with a fully loaded Club Joker highroof weighing in at 3.3-3.4 ton loaded up.

That’s pretty good. Is the base van a T6 or 6.1? I believe the T6.1’s might be a bit more efficient.

The challenge will be finding something open. There is a CS sites near Axminster that might fit the bill - Merrydown Camping.

Perfect. I’ve booked collection for 1 March to get the new reg.

Theres even a loft apartment available at that site when the family get tired of my bushcraft tales.

now that you have kindly educated me, I will humble you all with a round trip 950 km long completed yesterday - 20% highway 80% national roads incl. mountain - lay back and light right foot, total counting 45 mpg!
150 2WD, 235/55/R17 winter, roof bars, bike rack on tailgate, outside temp. -3/-9*C.
ehh, am I good or not?! :)

now that you have kindly educated me, I will humble you all with a round trip 950 km long completed yesterday - 20% highway 80% national roads incl. mountain - lay back and light right foot, total counting 45 mpg!
150 2WD, 235/55/R17 winter, roof bars, bike rack on tailgate, outside temp. -3/-9*C.

Pah, show us your giant AT's, heavy roof rack with axe and shovel mounted, under body protection and a dead bear strapped on the bike rack and I’ll be impressed ;-)

Seriously though, that is pretty impressive and makes me a tiny bit sad. I might have to buy a winch so I can grab a tow to up my MPG…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But would we approve of your wheels?!

So the 235/55R17 Grabbers I just tried to order are not available for another 3-4 weeks…argh! Offered Latitude Cross instead but they are not 3 peak rated, can get the 235/65R17 Grabber now but still have the same concerns re size (ideally wanted to stick to standard). My advice for anyone considering this wheel business, don’t bother :D

So the 235/55R17 Grabbers I just tried to order are not available for another 3-4 weeks…argh! Offered Latitude Cross instead but they are not 3 peak rated, can get the 235/65R17 Grabber now but still have the same concerns re size (ideally wanted to stick to standard). My advice for anyone considering this wheel business, don’t bother :D

You’re in the rabbit hole now, there’s no return…