Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

+Webbah_in_Switzerland did the STVA not kick up a stink about those additional front lights? A while back I put some additional lights on my motorcycle and was told to remove them by a kind policeman who decided to just give me a warning and not a ticket (that's a rarity in Switzerland). Was told that you cannot put any additional lights unless they have specific approval for that vehicle.

So I'm assuming those are approved?

+Webbah_in_Switzerland did the STVA not kick up a stink about those additional front lights? A while back I put some additional lights on my motorcycle and was told to remove them by a kind policeman who decided to just give me a warning and not a ticket (that's a rarity in Switzerland). Was told that you cannot put any additional lights unless they have specific approval for that vehicle.

100% approved for Switzerland! No issues at all. Integrated with the CANbus so work with the highbeams. Also have a manual switch to turn them off if desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Answered my own question. I see VW dealers install them, so the answer is clearly yes

Nobody also adding bull bars? have to complete the look :D

Nobody also adding bull bars? have to complete the look :D
See I would have thought that is more of a no no, due to pedestrian safety issues. In fact they are illegal in Germany if the bars extend beyond the bumper.

See I would have thought that is more of a no no, due to pedestrian safety issues. In fact they are illegal in Germany if the bars extend beyond the bumper.
I thought they were illegal here too, but I have seen a couple of T6s/Calis with them on, so now not so sure

I thought they were illegal here too, but I have seen a couple of T6s/Calis with them on, so now not so sure
I've seen one around Lucerne as well but I doubt they are legal. I don't even see Hess offering them. I personally don't like the look of these either.

Had the phone call to say my 235/60R17 117/115r Michelin AGILIS crossclimate tyres are in.
It’s taken 4 weeks from Michelin, but guaranteed to be the newest batch.
Not the swamper look I want, but it’s function will suffice for 80% motorway and 20% campsites wet grass. and if i need to get to Europe in the winter months, 3PMSF as well. (If I don’t get chance to swap for the conti winters. )
I don’t think you’ll think that. They look pretty chunky/swampy. Make my vanilla T5 almost look a bit silly.
1706870925438.jpeg

I don’t think you’ll think that. They look pretty chunky/swampy. Make my vanilla T5 almost look a bit silly.
View attachment 118674
Nice, and thanks !
They don’t look half bad.
Like the side wall small detail if you ride up the side of an enormous boulder as I’m traversing the blue ridge mountains of Virgina :thumb

Little update for the black bike rack crew, sounds like Thule will be releasing an all black Wanderway in March. £525 for a two bike, £655 for a three and £785 for a 4.

Is that yours? Very similar to mine except for the snorkel.
Unfortunately not, it’s on Autotrader

I’m on the lookout for when I replace my current car and think the swamper look / spec is the way to go.

Unfortunately not, it’s on Autotrader

I’m on the lookout for when I replace my current car and think the swamper look / spec is the way to go.

I personally think that the front spoiler (Leighton Vans?) doesn’t fit with the Swamper look. Would likely be torn off in any real off-road session too. Van looks a bit confused to me.

I like the look of that (being a black Cali ourselves) - but the price is a bit steep! Any modification rarely increases a vehicles price (often reduces, in order to widen it's attraction to a wider demographic).

Ours is a month or two older, FWD and less milage - and we'd be at a push to sell for 56k.

Good luck to the individual, but imo, 65k at the most.

That said, envious - literally has all the mods we'd love!

I like the look of that (being a black Cali ourselves) - but the price is a bit steep! Any modification rarely increases a vehicles price (often reduces, in order to widen it's attraction to a wider demographic).

Ours is a month or two older, FWD and less milage - and we'd be at a push to sell for 56k.

Good luck to the individual, but imo, 65k at the most.

That said, envious - literally has all the mods we'd love!
I’m surprised it hasn’t been raised or had air suspension added to the long list of mods.

I’m surprised it hasn’t been raised or had air suspension added to the long list of mods.

I suspect the snorkel isn’t even connected in that case! Mine originally had a snorkel that wasn’t connected and I took it off as I didn’t like the look. I have a raised air intake though so mine is the opposite, it has the function without the look rather the look without the function!

I personally think that the front spoiler (Leighton Vans?) doesn’t fit with the Swamper look. Would likely be torn off in any real off-road session too. Van looks a bit confused to me.

I think for someone who wants a swamper look but has no intention of going off road it looks great. Agree it’s not practical, a bit like mountaineering in stilettos…

I think for someone who wants a swamper look but has no intention of going off road it looks great. Agree it’s not practical, a bit like mountaineering in stilettos…

Yeah, I get it. Reminds me of a fully loaded Marco Polo AMG with Projekt Monotubes and BFG’s.

strictly for me, being probably sort of stickler person (not sure if right english term), as you also appear to be, I would go for 235/55/R17 103H, as I will otherwise constantly worry on wheel clearance with a NON-raised suspension van, and also the load and speed index, 103H, will be exactly the same recommended by the manufacturer, meaning the sidewall rigidness is correct and not stiffer as for 108V.
just me...
For anyone wondering, here’s a couple of pics of the Grabber AT3 235/55R17 on a Cali. Not as imposing as the 235/65R17 obviously, but still looks OK to me. Think I’ll order them on Monday…maybe…

IMG_0062.jpeg

IMG_0069.jpeg

For anyone wondering, here’s a couple of pics of the Grabber AT3 235/55R17 on a Cali. Not as imposing as the 235/65R17 obviously, but still looks OK to me. Think I’ll order them on Monday…maybe…

View attachment 118784

View attachment 118785
They look closer in size to the Michelin AGILIS CC.
But good find, looks ok.
Once my warranty is finished, I’ll be adding the high air intake, and diff breathers, etc.
Just incase I do need to wade to tops of wheels.
I’ve been watching all those idiots drive fast through the weir. And then to get engine hydro lock.
Scares the be-Jesus out of me.

But good find, looks ok.
Once my warranty is finished, I’ll be adding the high air intake, and diff breathers, etc.
I’ve been watching all those idiots drive fast through the weir. And then to get engine hydro lock.

Make sure your diesel heater isn’t running. I bought a rubber plug for the heater muffler if/when I am in that situation to prevent water ingress to the heater. All other points I’m good.

Make sure your diesel heater isn’t running. I bought a rubber plug for the heater muffler if/when I am in that situation to prevent water ingress to the heater. All other points I’m good.

Holy moley, now I hadn’t thought of that !
Would be good to have an automatic float type of adaptor so if you drive through water the plastic ball floats up a tube and shuts off the pipe.
Like a cheap face snorkel affair ?

But good find, looks ok.
Do look a bit small though don’t they? :D