Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sparegate: Mis-selling of spare wheel on new purchase?

you click on "Equipment Details" on the screen below on the VW app it will list your factory fitted options.
I did try that and for my van there was nothing for or against the spare.

I did try that and for my van there was nothing for or against the spare.
Our equipment list says:

Alloy spare wheel with original equipment tire

Our equipment list says:

Interesting. I just double checked and still nothing on mine. But I have the standard steel spare where as you have the optional alloy. Even my Devenport hubcaps are listed but no spare.

Bizarre is a good word for it.
I think your dealer thinks you button up the back. But armed with what you know now I hope they are embarrassed enough to throw some goodwill your way.

Our equipment list says:

There’s your proof for the dealer to do you a refund!
Same place should show what warranty & service agreements are in place.

There’s your proof for the dealer to do you a refund!
Same place should show what warranty & service agreements are in place.
Not seeing warranty and service information...

I think your dealer thinks you button up the back. But armed with what you know now I hope they are embarrassed enough to throw some goodwill your way.
Love that expression. Not heard it before, but instantly recognised the meaning! Must be a Scot thing.

No need to ask Kev, if you click on "Equipment Details" on the screen below on the VW app it will list your factory fitted options.

View attachment 128672
Thanks Andy. I got myself registered on the app - it does look very useful.

Moreover, I found the area that you mentioned. It seems to be a bit more of a summary, rather than a definitive specification. It correctly lists some our 'options' e.g. storage net/second drawer, acoustic package etc along with other features that I suspect might be standard (e.g. park assist and voice control). Importantly, for this thread, it doesn't reference whether it comes with a steel spare wheel fitted, or a 12v compressor/tyre sealant kit.

However, the build record / spec sheet that I have obtained seems to be provide a definitive breakdown of the vehicle specification.

I'll obviously update the group with the outcome of all of this. Thanks to everyone for their generous input.

Thanks Andy. I got myself registered on the app - it does look very useful.

Moreover, I found the area that you mentioned. It seems to be a bit more of a summary, rather than a definitive specification. It correctly lists some our 'options' e.g. storage net/second drawer, acoustic package etc along with other features that I suspect might be standard (e.g. park assist and voice control). Importantly, for this thread, it doesn't reference whether it comes with a steel spare wheel fitted, or a 12v compressor/tyre sealant kit.

However, the build record / spec sheet that I have obtained seems to be provide a definitive breakdown of the vehicle specification.

I'll obviously update the group with the outcome of all of this. Thanks to everyone for their generous input.
Yes a Car Data Print should be the definitive listing of how the vehicle was built BUT you do need to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff when reading it! Also occasionally there are conflicts listed.

Yes a Car Data Print should be the definitive listing of how the vehicle was built BUT you do need to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff when reading it! Also occasionally there are conflicts listed.
As you can imagine, I have read it very carefully. The document is set out as a list of three columns: Attribute, Vehicle Data and Description. The only listing relating to spares or tyre mobility kits states:

"Spare wheel/breakdown kit 1G2 Steel spare wheel with original equipment tire"

"Spare wheel/breakdown kit 1G2 Steel spare wheel with original equipment tire"
Once you know the code that refers to what you're looking for things get really easy. You should see that code "1G2" on the very first page of the owner's handbook.

Screenshot_20240906_124006.png

Everyone on here has been so helpful.

Latest update:

I sent the branch manager the spec sheet. He emailed back that sometimes the work that they do changes the build sheet / PR code system.

Of course, it has been explained to me, and outside this open forum, that the specification sheet describes how the vehicle left the factory.

However, he is looking in to things and will come back to me. I’ll keep you all posted.

Everyone on here has been so helpful.

Latest update:

I sent the branch manager the spec sheet. He emailed back that sometimes the work that they do changes the build sheet / PR code system.

Of course, it has been explained to me, and outside this open forum, that the specification sheet describes how the vehicle left the factory.

However, he is looking in to things and will come back to me. I’ll keep you all posted.
Looks to me like the dealer found a way to increase his margin on the vehicle by £525.

Or maybe another customer turned up to collect their van and created a stink it didn't have a spare wheel and so to get that sale processed, he moved it from vehicle.

Be interesting to see if they do anything about it....

Who's the dealer??

Looks to me like the dealer found a way to increase his margin on the vehicle by £525.

Or maybe another customer turned up to collect their van and created a stink it didn't have a spare wheel and so to get that sale processed, he moved it from vehicle.

Be interesting to see if they do anything about it....

Who's the dealer??
Can’t be the one you are thinking of… They would have charged for the other four wheels as well!

Latest update from the dealer is that they are:

“chasing Volkswagen for the consignment note…because as a rule California don't normally come with a spare wheel when a tow bar is fitted due to weights on the vehicle.

Partslink 24 is an independent system and not a Volkswagen system as it looks up all manufacturers, so as you can understand I am trying to make sure the systems are correct…The consignment note will show if I have been charged from Volkswagen for the wheel, if it isn't on the consignment note I will happily send you money back as this means with have been luck and got a vehicle with spare wheel when the normal is no wheel”

I will keep you all updated. In the meantime, has anyone bought an Ocean with both a removable towbar and spare wheel?

Look at the sticker in the front of the manual which VW printed. It should say 1G2. Your dealer should stop digging.

Last edited:
Look at the sticker in the front of the manual which VW printed. It should say 1G2. You dealer should stop digging.
Sticker in the front of the manual which VW printed? I do have a 3rd party build sheet that shows how the vehicle should have left the factory.

He says that the VMS system doesn’t show whether the vehicle had a spare or mobility kit hence waiting to obtain this consignment note.

The sticker in the front of your manual is not 3rd party and it's in black and white. VW printed it and put it there. If the spare and cradle were missing and your sticker says 1G2 you could claim them under warranty.

The sticker in the front of your manual is not 3rd party and it's in black and white. VW printed it and put it there. If the spare and cradle were missing you could claim them under warranty.
Ah! Now I understand. I’ve just checked the inside cover of the manual and it is blank. There is space for entry of the VIN etc but nothing is filled in.

Ah! Now I understand. I’ve just checked the inside cover of the manual and it is blank. There is space for entry of the VIN etc but nothing is filled in.
Odd: here's mine with the vin erased:

PXL_20240911_182821043~2.jpg

If you can’t have a spare wheel and tow bar, why did they charge you for one? Something is a bit fishy!!

Back