Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sparegate: Mis-selling of spare wheel on new purchase?

If you can’t have a spare wheel and tow bar, why did they charge you for one? Something is a bit fishy!!

They argue that it was delivered to them without a spare, but that a spare was ostensibly fitted by them. But yes I agree. (It’s the fitting of the spare that I’m being invoiced additionally for).

Last edited:
Are you looking at the front page of the transporter manual?

That's fishy. The dealer replaced your manual. There might be another sticker somewhere in the van. Perhaps ask on T6Forum?
On a t6 the build sticker is under the steering column plastics, head in foot well look up ? Not sure about T6.1 (can’t see why VW would change it )

Here is what you’re looking for

IMG_1295.jpeg

Last edited:
There is a sticker on the vehicle, but position can vary.
Under front of drivers seat base. Slide seat backwards.
Under bottom of Dashboard, drivers side
Nothing under driver side dashboard. Two stickers under seat . One says made in Slovakia with a QR code, and another with a QR also. Too dark to see where the QR takes me, but will inspect that tomorrow.

Last edited:
That’s rubbish about tow bar Calis not coming with spares. Ours came with a spare. It’s only the 18 inch wheel Calis that don’t have spares or unless it was requested that way from the factory. The build sticker will be 100% accurate. Find that and they won’t have a leg to stand on if it left the factory with a spare.

That’s rubbish about tow bar Calis not coming with spares. Ours came with a spare. It’s only the 18 inch wheel Calis that don’t have spares or unless it was requested that way from the factory. The build sticker will be 100% accurate. Find that and they won’t have a leg to stand on if it left the factory with a spare.
Good to know re tow bar + spare.
I’ll scan the QR under the driver’s seat tomorrow and see where that leads.

Interesting. Both specified from new?
I certainly specified the Towbar but am guessing the spare alloy wheel was standard.

It's well documented that the two together make it harder to extract the spare wheel from it's holder.

There may be incompatibility issues withe larger wheels???

I certainly specified the Towbar but am guessing the spare alloy wheel was standard.

It's well documented that the two together make it harder to extract the spare wheel from it's holder.

There may be incompatibility issues withe larger wheels???
17” alloys fitted on this van bought as a stock vehicle. The spare is steel. (I thought that your spare alloy would be a definite paid option though?)

If you have the Volkswagen app, and have registered your vehicle to it then you can go in through that to see a schedule of equipment - select driving data in the app, which will take you to a new screen flow that you will likely have to log in for, once logged in select the back arrow and from that next screen scroll down to the bottom to select “equipment details” and that will list a whole load of standard equipment and options that your vehicle was supplied with. We have no spare as we have 18” from factory, hence it lists tyre mobility kit and compressor in the options. Further down it refers to 4 Alloy Wheels.

There is an option in the brochure to have an alloy spare, in lieu of the steel standard equipment spare, and that has a code of IG3 - was £282 in 2022

I believe (from T6Forum) that T6.1s come without PR code stickers in the van, or in the manual.

Our T6.1 came with neither stickers, whereas our T5.1 had both, hence why I went searching for an answer to this.

If you have the Volkswagen app, and have registered your vehicle to it then you can go in through that to see a schedule of equipment - select driving data in the app, which will take you to a new screen flow that you will likely have to log in for, once logged in select the back arrow and from that next screen scroll down to the bottom to select “equipment details” and that will list a whole load of standard equipment and options that your vehicle was supplied with. We have no spare as we have 18” from factory, hence it lists tyre mobility kit and compressor in the options. Further down it refers to 4 Alloy Wheels.

There is an option in the brochure to have an alloy spare, in lieu of the steel standard equipment spare, and that has a code of IG3 - was £282 in 2022

We had a good look there. Unfortunately, while it lists a good many standard and optional features, it mentions neither a ‘spare’ or ‘tyre mobility kit’.

We had a good look there. Unfortunately, while it lists a good many standard and optional features, it mentions neither a ‘spare’ or ‘tyre mobility kit’.
Ours listed fine. Tyre Mobility due to 18”. Already bought and fitted a cradle and spare.
IMG_9811.jpeg

Back