Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sparegate: Mis-selling of spare wheel on new purchase?

@acer have you been to a different dealer and asked for a car data print? Most dealers will do one for you if you give them your VIN, it will amount to about five A4 pages. I always go to the trade parts counter of my local dealer as the staff there seem to know more than those in the flash showrooms.
If the print for your vehicle lists 1G2 as installed then you should have a spare wheel.

If you are still struggling to get a print drop me a PM with your VIN after the 4th October when I am back home from holidays and I will get one for you.

I use my dealer contact as I do a service for owners who need age verification of VW vehicles to satisfy the DVLA for registration purposes, see www.historicvws.org.uk/dvla or the club listed in the DVLA V765/1 booklet.

it started with T6.1.
Data point of one: my my22 van has the sticker in the manual. So it looks like somewhere between 22 and 24 they stopped doing that.

The good news for the op is that the dealer looks slightly less fishy. But all that bs about checking consignment notes etc is all frantic arse covering and they might as well just write the cheque. They are going to have to sooner or later after being found out in a lie.

I scanned a QR code under the seat, but this led nowhere (some sort of disney image bizarrely) but the sticker was creased and getting my phone under there was awkward.

It's time to update this wonderful community on 'Sparegate'. TLDR: They have agreed to cancel the invoice for the provision of a spare wheel that they didn't fit.

Firstly, a reminder of my situation. At the point of sale I was told that if I wanted a spare wheel and carrier to be fitted to the Ocean that I was considering buying I would need to pay an extra £525 to the dealer on a separate invoice. This is because the van came with a tyre mobility kit.

When collecting the van I noted the spare wheel and gave my checklist a nice big tick. Then, at home I realised that perhaps I should have collected the tyre mobility kit that should also have come with the vehicle (it might come in handy depending on my breakdown situation). I then found out a colleague on here with an almost identical new purchase had received a spare wheel fitted. This led to me obtaining the Partslink 24 build sheet that showed that the van had left the Volkswagen factory with a spare wheel already fitted (1G2).

Sparegate is just one part of four issues that I have with the van and the way that it has been sold to me. I learnt early on that the dealership prefers phone calls. The phone is quicker and it is easier to fob people off with bluster, rather than provide service. It is also true that phone calls make it more difficult to prove what was said and when. When suspicions about their integrity entered my mind I told them that I only wanted to communicate over email.

I am keen to not let this reduce into a rant about poor conduct, and I have tried to be balanced and to look for innocent explanations. The people on here have been so helpful (again!) and so I would like to share the relevant parts of some of the emails.

When I made the buildsheet available to the dealer they started off by saying that:

"I know you have sent a list of PR codes showing the spare wheel on, I am just double checking if that is showing on their due to us fitting. I know with some accessories as we have to code on the vehicle it will then show on PR code system and I have been charged for a wheel as well, so I will have an answer on this on Monday/Tuesday once I have checked with parts manager."

I replied that:

"I have provided you with the build sheet of the vehicle as it left the factory. Respectfully, if there is an internal billing issue, that is a matter for your dealership and VW, not for me as the customer. Please confirm cancellation of invoice xxxx".

They advised:

"I’m on with chasing Volkswagen ref the spare wheel, as on the Vms system which is Volkswagen system with all the factories build it isn't on it....I'm now just waiting for the consignment note from Volkswagen to check."

I replied that:

"I don't understand the need to chase Volkswagen. Your own internal systems will make clear that no spare wheel was fitted by your technicians. Of course, this is because the vehicle left the Volkswagen factory with a spare wheel already fitted, as confirmed by the Build sheet that I have provided. It also explains why no tyre mobility kit was available at handover, because the vehicle arrived at your dealership specified with a spare wheel. I was hoping for a swift resolution to this (point 3 of my list), not least because the survey that you mentioned at handover needs to completed by close of business tomorrow."

They advised:

"The reason I’m chasing Volkswagen for the consignment note is because as a rule California don't normally come with a spare wheel when a tow bar is fitted due to weights on the vehicle. Partslink 24 is an independent system and not a Volkswagen system as it looks up all manufacturers, so as you can understand I am trying to make sure the systems are correct. I sent over the VMS as an attachment along with warranty details and on the video I sent over. The consignment note will show if I have been charged from Volkswagen for the wheel, if it isn't on the consignment note I will happily send you money back as this means with have been luck and got a vehicle with spare wheel when the normal is no wheel."

I replied that:

"Your comment that “California don't normally come with a spare wheel when a tow bar is fitted due to weights on the vehicle” is very odd. I have several contacts and colleagues who have confirmed that have recently bought Californias with both features. As the dealer who received the vehicle you will know that a spare was already fitted prior to any attempt to fit a further spare. Partslink 24 is a reputable service and trusted by VW. VW have chosen to participate in the scheme and it is VW that provided Partslink 24 the information contained in the build sheet sent to you. Please confirm cancellation of invoice xxxx."

Eventually, following a missed phone call I received this:

"I trust all are well and you are enjoying your new VW California. Although i have been copied into the correspondences between yourself and [sales manager] i have not got involved as i have every faith in [sales manager] to sort things out. However one thing i can do is draw a line under the Spare wheel query. The Vehicle we secured for you and indeed called off, did not list among the options a spare wheel. If it had we would of put it on the order form!

It was also not on the consignment Note!!! As you wanted a spare wheel we ordered this separately. Ready to be fitted once the van arrived on site. ( you will remember that around the time we were waiting i was on holiday). It appears that you may the benefitted from the run out stage of the vehicles at the factory and had a wheel fitted. When the vehicle arrived here with us, we had taken the spare wheel on your vehicle, as being one fitted by our technicians , as we had requested a wheel and carrier to be fitted during the workshop preparation stage. This is obviously not the case as we have a spare wheel and carrier on the shelves of our parts department. Clearly as the vehicle has a wheel already, regardless of, if ordered or on a consignment note, we cant possibly expect you to pay for it!!!!! Unless in the unlikely event that you would like the ordered in, spare wheel and carrier, so yes the invoice will be cancelled with immediate effect. Please accept my sincere apologies and hopefully that will draw a line under that item on your list, and allow Brian to concentrate on the other issues so you can fully enjoy your new vehicle.

I then asked the sales manager:

"Please could you confirm by the close of business today that you have cancelled invoice xxxx relating to the fitting of the spare wheel (that was already fitted prior to arrival at your premises).

He replied:

"Now that we have confirmation that we have been lucky and had a wheel fitted and not charger by the factory I have asked for the invoice to be credited."

I'm feeling a lot of things, but "lucky" isn't one of them.

It's time to update this wonderful community on 'Sparegate'. TLDR: They have agreed to cancel the invoice for the provision of a spare wheel that they didn't fit.

Firstly, a reminder of my situation. At the point of sale I was told that if I wanted a spare wheel and carrier to be fitted to the Ocean that I was considering buying I would need to pay an extra £525 to the dealer on a separate invoice. This is because the van came with a tyre mobility kit.

When collecting the van I noted the spare wheel and gave my checklist a nice big tick. Then, at home I realised that perhaps I should have collected the tyre mobility kit that should also have come with the vehicle (it might come in handy depending on my breakdown situation). I then found out a colleague on here with an almost identical new purchase had received a spare wheel fitted. This led to me obtaining the Partslink 24 build sheet that showed that the van had left the Volkswagen factory with a spare wheel already fitted (1G2).

Sparegate is just one part of four issues that I have with the van and the way that it has been sold to me. I learnt early on that the dealership prefers phone calls. The phone is quicker and it is easier to fob people off with bluster, rather than provide service. It is also true that phone calls make it more difficult to prove what was said and when. When suspicions about their integrity entered my mind I told them that I only wanted to communicate over email.

I am keen to not let this reduce into a rant about poor conduct, and I have tried to be balanced and to look for innocent explanations. The people on here have been so helpful (again!) and so I would like to share the relevant parts of some of the emails.

When I made the buildsheet available to the dealer they started off by saying that:

"I know you have sent a list of PR codes showing the spare wheel on, I am just double checking if that is showing on their due to us fitting. I know with some accessories as we have to code on the vehicle it will then show on PR code system and I have been charged for a wheel as well, so I will have an answer on this on Monday/Tuesday once I have checked with parts manager."

I replied that:

"I have provided you with the build sheet of the vehicle as it left the factory. Respectfully, if there is an internal billing issue, that is a matter for your dealership and VW, not for me as the customer. Please confirm cancellation of invoice xxxx".

They advised:

"I’m on with chasing Volkswagen ref the spare wheel, as on the Vms system which is Volkswagen system with all the factories build it isn't on it....I'm now just waiting for the consignment note from Volkswagen to check."

I replied that:

"I don't understand the need to chase Volkswagen. Your own internal systems will make clear that no spare wheel was fitted by your technicians. Of course, this is because the vehicle left the Volkswagen factory with a spare wheel already fitted, as confirmed by the Build sheet that I have provided. It also explains why no tyre mobility kit was available at handover, because the vehicle arrived at your dealership specified with a spare wheel. I was hoping for a swift resolution to this (point 3 of my list), not least because the survey that you mentioned at handover needs to completed by close of business tomorrow."

They advised:

"The reason I’m chasing Volkswagen for the consignment note is because as a rule California don't normally come with a spare wheel when a tow bar is fitted due to weights on the vehicle. Partslink 24 is an independent system and not a Volkswagen system as it looks up all manufacturers, so as you can understand I am trying to make sure the systems are correct. I sent over the VMS as an attachment along with warranty details and on the video I sent over. The consignment note will show if I have been charged from Volkswagen for the wheel, if it isn't on the consignment note I will happily send you money back as this means with have been luck and got a vehicle with spare wheel when the normal is no wheel."

I replied that:

"Your comment that “California don't normally come with a spare wheel when a tow bar is fitted due to weights on the vehicle” is very odd. I have several contacts and colleagues who have confirmed that have recently bought Californias with both features. As the dealer who received the vehicle you will know that a spare was already fitted prior to any attempt to fit a further spare. Partslink 24 is a reputable service and trusted by VW. VW have chosen to participate in the scheme and it is VW that provided Partslink 24 the information contained in the build sheet sent to you. Please confirm cancellation of invoice xxxx."

"I trust all are well and you are enjoying your new VW California. Although i have been copied into the correspondences between yourself and [sales manager] i have not got involved as i have every faith in [sales manager] to sort things out. However one thing i can do is draw a line under the Spare wheel query. The Vehicle we secured for you and indeed called off, did not list among the options a spare wheel. If it had we would of put it on the order form!

It was also not on the consignment Note!!! As you wanted a spare wheel we ordered this separately. Ready to be fitted once the van arrived on site. ( you will remember that around the time we were waiting i was on holiday). It appears that you may the benefitted from the run out stage of the vehicles at the factory and had a wheel fitted. When the vehicle arrived here with us, we had taken the spare wheel on your vehicle, as being one fitted by our technicians , as we had requested a wheel and carrier to be fitted during the workshop preparation stage. This is obviously not the case as we have a spare wheel and carrier on the shelves of our parts department. Clearly as the vehicle has a wheel already, regardless of, if ordered or on a consignment note, we cant possibly expect you to pay for it!!!!! Unless in the unlikely event that you would like the ordered in, spare wheel and carrier, so yes the invoice will be cancelled with immediate effect. Please accept my sincere apologies and hopefully that will draw a line under that item on your list, and allow Brian to concentrate on the other issues so you can fully enjoy your new vehicle.

"Please could you confirm by the close of business today that you have cancelled invoice xxxx relating to the fitting of the spare wheel (that was already fitted prior to arrival at your premises).

He replied:

"Now that we have confirmation that we have been lucky and had a wheel fitted and not charger by the factory I have asked for the invoice to be credited."

At least you have got your money back Acer. The fact remains all Oceans on 17" wheels come with a steel spare wheel. Just glad that you got it sorted. You should never have been put through that in the first place.

At least you have got your money back Acer. The fact remains all Oceans on 17" wheels come with a steel spare wheel. Just glad that you got it sorted. You should never have been put through that in the first place.
I hadn't got as far as paying the invoice, so I'm not waiting for a refund.
Actually, it isn't true to say that all Oceans with 17" wheels come with a steel spare. You can opt for a tyre mobility kit, or they may come pre-configured this way.
You're right. Time that should have been spent enjoying my new van has been replaced with stress, argument and ill feeling.

I replied that:

They advised:

I replied that:

They advised:

I replied that:

He replied:

Amazing. They should really know what they’re talking about. Which dealer is it?

For some reason my instinct is to not say just yet. I'm not sure where all of this will end up, but I hope to confirm the dealership involved in due course.
Fair enough. Shame though. It would be good to know so others don’t have a bad experience too.

Fair enough. Shame though. It would be good to know so others don’t have a bad experience too.
Fully agree and I hope to share soon. Posting on here might alert some people to be careful of the firm, but I think that I should do more than that. I'm not yet certain what next steps I could or should take.

Fully agree and I hope to share soon. Posting on here might alert some people to be careful of the firm, but I think that I should do more than that. I'm not yet certain what next steps I could or should take.
They owe you a large dollop of “good will” what they have tried to do is Fraud by anyone’s measure.
They blame the fact that thought they had fitted the parts ! The VW systems do not miss things, (to stop theft and Fraud in the dealership) it is loaded onto a job sheet and closed out when done , creating an Invoice when the works / parts are fitted, someone manually raised the invoice ! That’s Fraud

I'm glad to hear that you have got the spare wheel saga sorted. Had the sales person or management done what I have been advising and walked to a parts computer and obtained a print out of your van's build spec at the start of the discussion this could have been sorted whilst they gave you a free cup of coffee!
I would now be having a serious talk to the dealer principal requesting a good portion of 'good will' in the form of accessories or free services and have it all in writing. Maybe then your 'naming and shaming' will be somewhat tempered.

Good luck and enjoy the camper.

I hadn't got as far as paying the invoice, so I'm not waiting for a refund.
Actually, it isn't true to say that all Oceans with 17" wheels come with a steel spare. You can opt for a tyre mobility kit, or they may come pre-configured this way.
You're right. Time that should have been spent enjoying my new van has been replaced with stress, argument and ill feeling.
Just had another look at the California T6.1 brochure. It specifically states "Steel spare wheel with original specification tyre"

You could contact VW executive office and report this issue to them to ask them to confirm the correct spec, highlighting what the brochure says, and what the dealer is telling you.

You could contact VW executive office and report this issue to them to ask them to confirm the correct spec, highlighting what the brochure says, and what the dealer is telling you.
The dealer is now admitting that the van had a spare fitted when it arrived with them, but that they then sent me an invoice for work that they didn't do, so I don't think that further confirmation from VW is required.

It's difficult not to suspect wrongdoing and even though I'm no longer financially worse off, I feel a sense of duty to blow the whistle for the benefit of others. I was given a phone number for Commercial Customer Care, 0800 7834909, by someone at VW Assist if I wanted to complain about the dealer to VW (this was in relation to something else). If I'm not satisfied, perhaps I then need to contact the relevant ombudsman.

How depressing. I want to enjoy my van, not enter into a legal / complaint battle.

The dealer is now admitting that the van had a spare fitted when it arrived with them, but that they then sent me an invoice for work that they didn't do, so I don't think that further confirmation from VW is required.

It's difficult not to suspect wrongdoing and even though I'm no longer financially worse off, I feel a sense of duty to blow the whistle for the benefit of others. I was given a phone number for Commercial Customer Care, 0800 7834909, by someone at VW Assist if I wanted to complain about the dealer to VW (this was in relation to something else). If I'm not satisfied, perhaps I then need to contact the relevant ombudsman.

How depressing. I want to enjoy my van, not enter into a legal / complaint battle.
Enter into a face to face Convo with the After sales manager , they usually have some sway and access to “Goodwill” to stop thing going formally to VW.
Dealers are audited in their performance KPI’s, complaints will not look good.

Have a grown up Convo about the issues and perceptions, don’t put up with the BS being spouted to cover this up by the dealer. I would expect “good will” IRO the invoice cost they sent you !

Last edited:
I think there are issues with many of the VWCV dealers. I was told my sagging roof had been examined in the workshop over a couple of days, system bled and all was good. When I turned up un-announced I was told the vehicle was still on the ramp....

... But it's in the car park. And despite you keeping it for 7 days extra, it hasn't moved from it's parking space ... Would you like to see the tracker history...

A week later I got this:

"
I think the error over your vehicle not being looked at is down to a mistake on my part. I had spoken with the workshop manager in the morning and he had told me that it was due to be worked on later that day.
Late in the afternoon I was in the workshop checking on another vehicle and noticed the technician working on a vehicle with the roof up. I assumed that this would have been yours, but it was not. I think there was a miscommunication between myself and the workshop manager following this that resulted in me giving you the incorrect information. This was clearly a mistake on my park for which I apologise profusely and assure you that the service that you requested was indeed carried out."

Glad you got the invoice cancelled. Like everyone else, would love to know who the dealer was. For us, we have bad experience with the selling dealer and now our local one. I met another owner at Plymouth port recently who had similar dealings with Exeter and he said earlier this year they had lost their entire technical team. I have no corroboration as to if that was true or not but they displayed hopeless ineptitude to my issues.

Booked into Breeze now for some warranty work. I hope they are as good as everyone says.

I think there are issues with many of the VWCV dealers. I was told my sagging roof had been examined in the workshop over a couple of days, system bled and all was good. When I turned up un-announced I was told the vehicle was still on the ramp....

... But it's in the car park. And despite you keeping it for 7 days extra, it hasn't moved from it's parking space ... Would you like to see the tracker history...

A week later I got this:

"
I think the error over your vehicle not being looked at is down to a mistake on my part. I had spoken with the workshop manager in the morning and he had told me that it was due to be worked on later that day.
Late in the afternoon I was in the workshop checking on another vehicle and noticed the technician working on a vehicle with the roof up. I assumed that this would have been yours, but it was not. I think there was a miscommunication between myself and the workshop manager following this that resulted in me giving you the incorrect information. This was clearly a mistake on my park for which I apologise profusely and assure you that the service that you requested was indeed carried out."

Glad you got the invoice cancelled. Like everyone else, would love to know who the dealer was. For us, we have bad experience with the selling dealer and now our local one. I met another owner at Plymouth port recently who had similar dealings with Exeter and he said earlier this year they had lost their entire technical team. I have no corroboration as to if that was true or not but they displayed hopeless ineptitude to my issues.

Booked into Breeze now for some warranty work. I hope they are as good as everyone says.
You should be really well looked after at Breeze. We have been there for a few things warranty related and they’ve always been spot on. Only ever used the Poole branch though as they always have loads of Calis in.

Back