Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mistakes or Compromises?

Rhyddin

Rhyddin

A T6 Beach, named Dory
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all,

I know I've been getting close to committing to a Cali for what seems like ever, and I appreciate your patient input, but I just have one last question for you experienced owners before I finally take the plunge:

What mistakes or compromises have you made (or had to make) in your Cali, in comparison to a car?

Misjudged the size? Had to change the way you do something? Had to stop doing something? Had to stop going certain places? That kind of thing.

I know there are a million things that the Cali CAN do that a car can't but I'm interested to hear what you can't do anymore because you have a Cali. I know what I'm going to gain but I'm not sure what I'm going to lose (apart from a much smaller 0-60 time, but that's not important). I appreciate that the everyday drivers may find this the easiest to answer but, at the same time, if your Cali is not your everyday driver, is there a reason why not, because that is also of interest to me?

Many thanks and have a great new year!

Hi. I think this is very much a matter of personal preference. There are lots of owners who happily use their Cali as a daily driver and will tell you it's great.
I love our Cali but I know I would find it frustrating using it as a daily driver taking into account where we live, the journey to work, city driving etc. For me personally I just could not give up using my road car. Again IMO a Cali just cannot match a decent road car from a driving perspective. Having said this there are some journeys where I use the road car where the Cali would suffice. I am considering at some stage changing my car for something a little more sporty which would necessitate use of the Cali a little more often. A car is a necessity for me however. Others will I'm sure have a different view.
Happy New Year to you also and all forum members

Daily Drive Cali owner
Parking is my only issue at times
  • Height barriers
  • Car park's other inconsiderate parkers so I tend to be very slective where I leave the van although will fit in many spaces I am sure in general spaces are smaller and cars wider

We did not give up anything , only gained imo.
We do have the luxery of owning each a other car , yes there are three cars in a two of us family.
We only use our Cali SE for trips , as many Mobilehome owners do ...it just sits in the garage most the times , but that is something not all of us can i am fully aware...
My daily driver is my electric bike witch i do 36km on daily to work.
Wife takes here car.

All these things are personal preferences and hard to compare with others preferences

Only compromise i had to make is selling my beautifull LR Defender and trow in a lot of savings to buy the Cali....three years ago now.
But oh boy ....wish i did it much earlyer! Was dreaming of a Cali since my early 20's and waited till i was 39 when it finaly came thru....

When I tried having just a T5 poptop Cali as an only vehicle, my main worry was parking something so valuable and potentially attractive to thieves / idiots in the places I had to park, versus my very modest old car which no one ever glanced at, and I wasn't worried about getting car park dinks etc.
There were kids just being kids outside my yoga class during the 'deep relaxation' and my mind was spinning imagining the chaos they were inflicting to my Cali (only in my mind...it was fine).
I know some here are weighing a £50k BMW against a £50k Cali, both of which would make me paranoid.

Last edited:
The only compromise I can think of is the fuel consumption compared to most cars these days. And maybe a few height barriers, but it will fit under most.

I actually find the Cali relaxing and easier to drive than a car, you can see further and being box shaped it's easy to judge where the corners are. And if you've got sensors parking is a piece of cake.

My only compromise is rattles.

Something somewhere rattles, mostly due to my own sloppy packing, but I find it almost impossible not to hear something moving somewhere in a cupboard or drawer.

Mind you, the noise that comes from the two baby seats in our BMW is also pretty ear-splitting at times :shocked

When I tried having just a T5 poptop Cali as an only vehicle, my main worry was parking something so valuable and potentially attractive to thieves / idiots in the places I had to park, versus my very modest old car which no one ever glanced at, and I wasn't worried about getting car park dinks etc.
There were kids just being kids outside my yoga class during the 'deep relaxation' and my mind was spinning imagining the chaos they were inflicting to my Cali (only in my mind...it was fine).
I know some here are weighing a £50k BMW against a £50k Cali, both of which would make me paranoid.
I would be trading in a 3.0 Audi A6 that I paid around £50k for anyway so I'm used to that anxiety. People are disrespectful and I've kind of accepted that. My Cali will be parked some distance away or I'll take the kids and use the kids spaces!

We did not give up anything , only gained imo.
We do have the luxery of owning each a other car , yes there are three cars in a two of us family.
We only use our Cali SE for trips , as many Mobilehome owners do ...it just sits in the garage most the times , but that is something not all of us can i am fully aware...
My daily driver is my electric bike witch i do 36km on daily to work.
Wife takes here car.

All these things are personal preferences and hard to compare with others preferences

Only compromise i had to make is selling my beautifull LR Defender and trow in a lot of savings to buy the Cali....three years ago now.
But oh boy ....wish i did it much earlyer! Was dreaming of a Cali since my early 20's and waited till i was 39 when it finaly came thru....
I'm 40 now so it seems like a good time. My wife has a 1 year old A3 cabriolet so we've still got a lovely car offering something totally different - but I will miss my A6. I'm ready for a change of direction, after a few German luxury vehicles, and the Cali is the way to go, I think.

Last edited:
Comfort has been a compromise, the drivers seat just isn't good enough for all day driving. I can drive our car much further before discomfort sets in.
Saying that I'd still drive the cali more places just so I can put the kettle on :thumb

:headbang Forgot the AC! In France (where I live) air conditioning is pretty much standard, even in cheap cars, so I expected to have it as a standard feature in our nearly 50.000 Euro Beach. Not so! Next time I'll read the specs more carefully...

What mistakes or compromises have you made (or had to make) in your Cali, in comparison to a car?

Well, Zebedee is our everyday car and we live in London. I don't do multi storey car parks any more which was a shame last night as it was raining. I could pay out to have it lowered but all the other things I have had to pay out for on the Cali have meant I haven't had the money to do it. But I can usually find somewhere else to park quite near.

Used to have 5 seats in my car and so on a couple of occasions I have wanted the extra seat to give a lift to another person and others have been incredulous that we only have 4 seats.

Real blind spot on rear passenger side at the back....went into a bollard in the dark £8250 worth of damage at 5 miles an hour. That's a BIG mistake.

But the upsides are far greater. I can always produce almost any kind of item required...."I've got one of those in the Cali!" From table tennis bat to string to bunting, etc. we've gone to some fantastic places, met some really lovely people and the most important thing of all.....laid down amazing memories of my daughter and I doing some special things together. Irreplaceable! Oh and even a night away in Zebedee means coming back refreshed like you have had a long holiday.

the drivers seat just isn't good enough for all day driving. I can drive our car much further before discomfort sets in.

I can't agree with this I find the seating in the front far better than all other cars I have owned I feel the upright possition = a far more relaxed driving expirence.

I agree with you, Meoncoast. If we are going any distance I would much rather take the Cali than the car. I like to be able to see over the cars in front and see what is happening. Hedges are no longer a green wall that I can't see past to observe the view.
The driving position I find very comfortable and even after 7½ hours driving, with a break for lunch, I didn't feel as tired as I did in a car.
It could be that the cars were not the top of the range, but I find the Cali a lovely drive and generally easy to park. Simon

Last edited:
It's not the seat position, I used to drive vans for a living, it's the actual seat that's uncomfortable. I need more support under my legs or the base part needs to be longer.
The seats in the newer sprinters are better, this is just personal preference.

Comfort has been a compromise, the drivers seat just isn't good enough for all day driving. I can drive our car much further before discomfort sets in.
Saying that I'd still drive the cali more places just so I can put the kettle on :thumb
After my mega trip 5,350 miles in 20 days I would have been full of aches in pains in any other vehicles I have owned.

It's not the seat position, I used to drive vans for a living, it's the actual seat that's uncomfortable. I need more support under my legs or the base part needs to be longer.
The seats in the newer sprinters are better, this is just personal preference.

My Golf Mk 5 was uncomfortable, for my back, no one else found it a problem the seat was too soft. I bought myself one of these, http://www.medesign.co.uk/MEDesign-Backfriend it solved the problem completely.
They lend them out for a 14 day trial & you could return it if it didn't help in your situation. Might be worth a try. If you are anywhere near Bristol, I could lend mine to you for a while if that would be any help. Simon

It's numb bum syndrome for me, curiously I get it in the cali but not my transporter as much!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I get backache from a worn spine, one reason not to tent camp.
In the Cali seat, I have the lumbar support on max, and arm rests quite high, so I can adjust the wheel, and have both elbows on the supports and slightly lift myself. It is really comfortable for my back . best seat I have had. And no numb bum after many hours.
I have a second car, only worth a thousand, great for bashing around the lanes, and I don't worry when some idiot catches it in a car park. a dirty bike can be flung in the back. Relative to the cost of the Cali, it is nothing. I can then keep the van OCD clean and extra special

4 seats = no space for the mother in law. Shame

Until earlier this year we had a Saab 93 convertible and a Caravelle. Over the years we gradually used the Caravelle more and the Saab less so decided to get rid of both and after months of research decided to buy a California. Our other vehicle is an 8.5 metre, 5 tonne motorhome so the California is our runaround. We could never go back to a car now.

From my avatar you can see what our camper and everyday vehicle is. We both drive it in all environments without problems except for height restrictions. As for parking where damage could be caused, touch wood we have never had more than very minor door marks over many years of use and we have had a few campers!

Rod

Back