Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Month long trip in June - Santander

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Early stages of planning but we're plotting a month (ish) long trip for June next year in the Cali.

Plan to stay in places a few nights to a week at a time; no desire to do massive exploration missions as we have two little ones (who will be 2.5 and 4.5 by then) and possibly the dog. Really keen to check out the Spanish coast and get some surfing it before the silly season starts.

Anyone done the Santander ferry (from Plymouth) with their Cali? We'll need to do a bit of work so might need to buy a local 3G dongle for the Mac.

Anyway, while it's hammering it down non stop outside, it seems a nice thing to look forward to!

Must be nice to look forward to some sun!! - if your undecided where to head let me recommend the Cabo de Gata Parque Natural, way down in the SE corner. We have been there with the Cali for the last couple of Easters - brilliant biking etc. Images on relevant posts here http://rollalot.org/tag/vw-california/

But I guess if your target is Surf you will stick to the North coast and Portugal?

Did Portsmouth to Bilbao earlier this year - one way only, drove back up through France. Ferry trip pleasant enough, but I'd strongly recommend taking entertainment (books, games), munchies, drinks etc. Cabins reasonable. They allow dogs in some cabins but I think those get booked up pretty early, so well worth booking far ahead if you are taking the dog.

We also did Portsmouth to Santander two years ago on the Pont Aven, the crossing does seem to go on forever ( around 24 hours on the ship ) we however splashed out and had a commodore cabin with balcony and satellite TV etc .. which is well worth the extra price. Also the the kennels are excellent as they are at the top of the ship and you can visit the dog whenever you wish with a swipe card, you can also walk the dog round the entire top deck of the ship. We stayed in the Picos de Europa so cant comment on coastal campsites.

Cheers all and sorry for the slow reply; my post alert thing seems to have stopped working!

Portsmouth - Bilbao booked for July 13 for us. Driving back up to St Malo for a return a month later. Commodores were all gone so got the next best thing!! Useful tips developing here as always.

Back