Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Motor home ban

Small minded approach, why can’t the U.K. adopt the open minded approach of other countries France in particular.
Safety, safet, safety, I wonder how many fires, caused by camping vehicles, they have had in the last 10 years ?

Small minded approach, why can’t the U.K. adopt the open minded approach of other countries France in particular.
Safety, safet, safety, I wonder how many fires, caused by camping vehicles, they have had in the last 10 years ?

My thoughts exactly!

I can see their point, we stopped there this year the night before getting on the ferry and awoke to two big whites either side of us , we could no even get the passenger door open as was so close. The problem is everyone wants front line sea view and they will do anything to get it.

There seems to be more and more height barriers and restrictions everywhere you go, thats why i always go to continental Europe for holidays or short breaks - campervans/motorhomes seem to be unwelcome in most places... not surprising either that you rarely see EU plated vans on holiday in the uk...

Sad that they could not allow limited overnight numbers instead. Maybe the big whites and their habit of staying too long has upset other users of the facility. I know there is nothing worse than a large group of big whites gathering together in these areas without using discretion and keeping a low pofile. Secret is to be discreet and not overstay in one place.

Sad that they could not allow limited overnight numbers instead. Maybe the big whites and their habit of staying too long has upset other users of the facility. I know there is nothing worse than a large group of big whites gathering together in these areas without using discretion and keeping a low pofile. Secret is to be discreet and not overstay in one place.
I think it's the usual issue of people taking the p**s. One of the problems highlighted in The News (Portsmouth local paper) was the owner of a converted lorry paying for a season ticket and setting up home in the car park!
Many moons ago when I used to park there in my Splitty, loaded up with windsurfing gear there were no problems. Although it was busy due to the popularity of the beach as a top windsurf location it was low key and any overnighting would of been a few surfers in the back of a van.

This might be a generalisation but people on the continent seem less likely to drop litter. The amount of crap on the streets of our cities and off grid camping areas is significantly greater than anything I see in Europe

That is not my experience. The French create a terrible mess at informal rest areas. In Poland, at places where you have to pay to use the loo, you have to be very careful with your foot placement if you want to save €1.50 for yourself and two boys to pee behind a bush.

Peage aires in France are generally excellent. I’ve seen for myself how a team of cleaners hose down the facilities at 7am and do a litter pick of the entire picnic area. Non-peage aires are less clean.

Reactions: KWT
I think it's the usual issue of people taking the p**s. One of the problems highlighted in The News (Portsmouth local paper) was the owner of a converted lorry paying for a season ticket and setting up home in the car park!
While I have no doubt that that was a reason given in the local paper, there had, for many years, been a 48 hour parking limit which always seemed a very reasonable rule.

I’m guessing about zero...

Having lived in an area blighted by wild camping, where we could no longer exercise dogs or children for fear of them finding piles of toilet paper, nappies rubbish,foodwaste, and poo behind bushes and on footpaths, I fail to understand why people who can afford many thousands of pounds to buy a motorhome or camper van are unwilling to support the local economy in places they utilise, by paying for a campsite where there are proper facilities.......
Yes I am sure there are many who leave no trace behind, but there are also many who have filthy habits. If your
locality was invaded by travellers I suspect there would be an outcry!!! Some Moterhomes, Campervanners are little better...
Yes the ignorant minority spoil it for everyone, but before you complain about others reaction, think how you would feel if it was near your home.

Having lived in an area blighted by wild camping, where we could no longer exercise dogs or children for fear of them finding piles of toilet paper, nappies rubbish,foodwaste, and poo behind bushes and on footpaths, I fail to understand why people who can afford many thousands of pounds to buy a motorhome or camper van are unwilling to support the local economy in places they utilise, by paying for a campsite where there are proper facilities.......
Yes I am sure there are many who leave no trace behind, but there are also many who have filthy habits. If your
locality was invaded by travellers I suspect there would be an outcry!!! Some Moterhomes, Campervanners are little better...
Yes the ignorant minority spoil it for everyone, but before you complain about others reaction, think how you would feel if it was near your home.

Well said.
I personally try to find spots with no other campers. I leave with no trace or as I found it.
Otherwise, I may as well find a campsite with appropriate facilities.

I think the problem with campsites today, is the cost.
To many are taking the P1s5
Anything over £35 per night, is to much IMO

Hayling Beach carpark was an informal official campsite.

You could pay for parking by the hour.

You could pay for overnight parking by the night up to two nights.

The toilet and shower block is still there.

This might be a generalisation but people on the continent seem less likely to drop litter. The amount of crap on the streets of our cities and off grid camping areas is significantly greater than anything I see in Europe
Not just the cities but out in nature, the rubbish I pocketed our mountain biking in Wales in August is embarrassing, such wonderful nature too.

Sometimes I feel we are a small minded country at heart :(

I know a few people, very nice, respectable, decent person, professionals, that happen to own Motorhomes. Big whites and Cali. Forked out many dozen of thousands £ for it, but still afraid to pay for a camping spot. And despite having up to 100 litres of grey water, they.... conveniently leave the valve open because.. it is just water with a bit of bio soap. Plus others drop grey water too. It's like.. there's already trash so it's fine for me to add my own trash.
No integrity.
That is what it boils down to.
And then you end up not being allowed to park there anymore. Quite rightfully so, in my opinion.

I know a few people, very nice, respectable, decent person, professionals, that happen to own Motorhomes. Big whites and Cali. Forked out many dozen of thousands £ for it, but still afraid to pay for a camping spot. And despite having up to 100 litres of grey water, they.... conveniently leave the valve open because.. it is just water with a bit of bio soap. Plus others drop grey water too. It's like.. there's already trash so it's fine for me to add my own trash.
No integrity.
That is what it boils down to.
And then you end up not being allowed to park there anymore. Quite rightfully so, in my opinion.
That may very well all be true, but is not one of the reasons given by Havant Borough Council for banning overnight parking:
Why is HBC proposing to ban overnight parking at West Beach?
In a report, presented to HBC's Cabinet in June 2018, safety concerns were highlighted. Separation distance between motorhomes needs to be between four and six metres. Given that the car parks do not have bays marked out this is difficult to enforce. Safety is of paramount importance and as a consequence the decision has been taken to ban overnight parking by motorhomes.
Overnight camping was not free at West Beach, it was charged, £10 or £15 per night for up to two nights, if my memory is correct.

Just overpopulated compared to Europe.;)
I used to think that but if you look at the stats relating to the surface of the UK that is built upon, it is less than 6% and 35% is still entirely natural. 56% is farm land.

Can't deny that our coasts are in demand, but mostly the UK is a NIMBY nation. Not in my back yard...

I used to think that but if you look at the stats relating to the surface of the UK that is built upon, it is less than 6% and 35% is still entirely natural. 56% is farm land.

Can't deny that our coasts are in demand, but mostly the UK is a NIMBY nation. Not in my back yard...
Just a much smaller land mass than France or Germany etc plus large areas of Scotland are harsh land. Not NIMBY more recognition of poor planning and infrastructure. Not nationalism more realism.

Just a much smaller land mass than France or Germany etc plus large areas of Scotland are harsh land. Not NIMBY more recognition of poor planning and infrastructure. Not nationalism more realism.
Roughly speaking the UK land area per head is slightly less than half that of France, so I think that and a more liberal approach to access has a bearing on the UK's culture of putting up barriers and "no trespassers".

Not sure of all issues re Hayling Island but in a similar vein, petition has been put in to Scottish Parliament to create No Camp Zones on the NC500 etc. I live on NC500 and I along with others are against NCZs. Quite a lot debate worth a look but bottom line is we need to learn more from Europe re camping and tackle the general letter, waste and fly tipping in UK that is more often than not a separate issue.

Well thought on response to petition:

What is the remaining 3% of unnatural, non farmland and not built upon? Parks and gardens?

Who do these politicians expect to enforce restrictions? We in the U.K. need to accept that the land, where publicly owned (I.e paid for by taxes) should be free for all to enjoy, regardless of whether you live locally or not. The following from the link is a breath of fresh air and one I believe should be adopted generally in the U.K. maybe then more “ tourists” would spend their cash in this country as well as abroad. win / Win. All too often we focus on the negatives not the possible positives.

“It should be noted that most other European countries are faced with similar pressures from persons wishing to stop and rest while using the public road network, using a tent, campervan or motorhome. It is our experience that other countries on the European mainland have far better arrangements for dealing with these pressures, mainly through the provision of appropriate facilities, and have no need to intimidate their own citizens or visitors by the threat of criminal prosecution for stopping overnight close to the road network. Our politicians need to learn what happens in other European countries and apply the necessary political will to establish new infrastructure, properly resourced. That is the primary requirement for solving the problems that arise from informal camping in roadside settings and meeting their obligations under both road traffic and land reform legislation.”