Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Motor home ban

I think it should come from both sides, politicians and citizens. Politicians could allow overnight camping but then it‘s up to the citizens to use and not abuse this right.
A similar issue in the USA, with overnight stay at Walmarts. Many Walmarts allow overnight staying for RVs. If the campers start overstaying longer than a night, leaving trash, pulling out awnings, chairs and tables then there should be little surprise if Walmart decide to forbid overnight stay on their parking lot. Just don‘t take the pi$$!

I would be surprised if they have the staff to enforce this ban.

Here's a twat in a motor home parked next to me in Scarborough clearly dumping his soapy waste water into the car park. No wonder it gets banned. I was just parked here to go on the lash with the lads and its a great spot no doubt soon to be ruined by being banned because of twats like this

IMG_20191227_112234.jpg

Better than the ignorant sods who empty chemical toilets in the forrestry at Borgie. All the facilities on board but no class.

Here's a twat in a motor home parked next to me in Scarborough clearly dumping his soapy waste water into the car park. No wonder it gets banned. I was just parked here to go on the lash with the lads and its a great spot no doubt soon to be ruined by being banned because of twats like this

View attachment 53617
If its bio washing up liquid I don’t see the problem with this.

If its bio washing up liquid I don’t see the problem with this.
Sadly I see this far too often and whatever it is – even is if it was pure highland spring water the act of emptying in public gives us all a bad name and once you get that the objections to vans using places to stopover starts and places to use are lost. Personally, therefore, I do see the problem with this practice.

Sadly I see this far too often and whatever it is – even is if it was pure highland spring water the act of emptying in public gives us all a bad name and once you get that the objections to vans using places to stopover starts and places to use are lost. Personally, therefore, I do see the problem with this practice.
According to this it is just the perception that it’s a problem, which is the problem. It’s not actually causing any harm.

There is no way of telling what is being "dumped" form a grey water tank without testing it and I suspect that most contain pollutants does the use of bio washing up fluids make it OK I feel not. I try to leave nothing when out in the countryside - apart from footprints - it the muddy mess left by dumped greywater. I thought the grey tank was for holding dirty water until the motorhome user could dump it into the appropriate wastewater system. We all have our own views on what is good practise while using our vans, mine differ from @Lightning.

There is no way of telling what is being "dumped" form a grey water tank without testing it and I suspect that most contain pollutants does the use of bio washing up fluids make it OK I feel not. I try to leave nothing when out in the countryside - apart from footprints - it the muddy mess left by dumped greywater. I thought the grey tank was for holding dirty water until the motorhome user could dump it into the appropriate wastewater system. We all have our own views on what is good practise while using our vans, mine differ from @Lightning.
If you are the one doing the dumping, no test is necessary to identify what is being dumped. Leaving harmless biodegradable waste in the countryside is harmless. Wild campers have been digging holes to bury their waste forever and, it is generally deemed acceptable practice providing no paper is left. I agree if waste contains pollutants or anything not quickly biodegradable or anything likely to accumulate, then it obviously should be dumped appropriately.
If it’s harmless it’s not wrong just because you do it differently.

To my mind it is to do with the population density. At a place which is frequently used, the water from a steady stream of users does not disappear harmlessly, as it would if there was only an occasional camper. Wild campers have indeed been burying their waste, but I have often seen a place I thought secluded littered with “biodegradable” waste that is still very much in evidence. My opinion is that if we care about wild places, we should leave as little trace as possible. The reality is that on these crowded islands there is almost nowhere where our waste leaves no impact.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

To my mind it is to do with the population density. At a place which is frequently used, the water from a steady stream of users does not disappear harmlessly, as it would if there was only an occasional camper. Wild campers have indeed been burying their waste, but I have often seen a place I thought secluded littered with “biodegradable” waste that is still very much in evidence. My opinion is that if we care about wild places, we should leave as little trace as possible. The reality is that on these crowded islands there is almost nowhere where our waste leaves no impact.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com
It’s the litter and wet wipes scattered everywhere which is the problem for me. I use park4night a lot and it’s rare to find a spot not littered with wet wipes. The bans seem to be coming in fast, I think because locals see these spots are now being advertised as free camping, and they also see all the increased litter and other problems this brings.

If it does not harm as it is biodegradable, next thing we'll dump our body fluids as it is also not harming.
If they build wastewater tank into RVs instead of straight through pipes there is a reason. If they are there and paid for why not use the tanks.
Base rule: leave it as you've found it.

If it does not harm as it is biodegradable, next thing we'll dump our body fluids as it is also not harming.
If they build wastewater tank into RVs instead of straight through pipes there is a reason. If they are there and paid for why not use the tanks.
Base rule: leave it as you've found it.
Like dogs and wild animals do.

They have sex outside too. There are certain restraints imposed on and accepted (by most) in a civilised society
Yes, it’s important to ban things which don’t harm anybody or anything just because we consider them uncivilised.

Yes, it’s important to ban things which don’t harm anybody or anything just because we consider them uncivilised.
Having sex in public probably doesn’t harm anyone, but could be offensive, just like dumping your waste wherever you feel like.

Having sex in public probably doesn’t harm anyone, but could be offensive, just like dumping your waste wherever you feel like.
It depends where you do it. If somebody takes offence at a harmless activity which doesn’t actually affect them or anybody or anything else adversely, its wholly their problem.

In certain places, seeing fully biodegradable human waste (grey and black) is considered uncivilised even if no harm is done. Especially when there's no way for the authorities and public to know if that waste was bio or not.
Therefore, going back to the topic of the thread, if you don't want sites to be closed, don't dump anything, bio or not. Dump on the appropriate sites.