Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My first Beach

A

a13WWY

Vehicle
T5 Beach
I’ve had a couple T5’s in the past but this is my first California Beach - is there anything we should know?
Although it has a leisure battery is there an external charging socket somewhere or is it a matter of the battery charging off the engine or using a solar panel?
Old van and new van IMG_4387.jpegIMG_2588.png

• Welcome
Reactions: Sad
Ehu plug on nearside rear quarter panel should power internal 240 v socket and charge leisure battery under passenger seat, this supplies 12v to roof boot bench and high load socket above mains socket

Congratulations and welcome to the Beach club :cool:.
Is there anything you should know… Yes, they are fab!!!

Seriously, if you have any Beach related questions, just ask!

EHU was not standard on early Beach model, if it doesn’t have an obvious EHU flap on thd Near side rear quarter it likely doesn’t have EHU

You can retro fit easily and in less obvious places ( under bonnet, rear quarter, under rear bumper etc )

Post a photo of the near side if you need confirmation, if no EHU the Leisure battery charges from the alternator when driving.

Solar panels will assist in charging LB

EHU was not standard on early Beach model, if it doesn’t have an obvious EHU flap on thd Near side rear quarter it likely doesn’t have EHU

You can retro fit easily and in less obvious places ( under bonnet, rear quarter, under rear bumper etc )

Post a photo of the near side if you need confirmation, if no EHU the Leisure battery charges from the alternator when driving.

Solar panels will assist in charging LB
Yeah no EHU so will need to fit something, probably under the bonnet as per my old van

Yeah no EHU so will need to fit something, probably under the bonnet as per my old van
There is a really neat solution that replaces the front grill , the EHU is plugged into the badge (badge fold out on a hinge)

The rear quarter plastic is another really decent place. Again hinged

Lower front bumper

available commercially for retro fit

Edit ; some photos

IMG_1233.jpeg

IMG_1232.jpeg

IMG_1231.jpeg

Last edited:
My ehu is located under the rear bumper on the near side. This was done early in its life, as it was an ex hire van.

behind the badge looks the coolest

behind the badge looks the coolest
Yeah but the hardest to complete, mains near the radiator in the engine bay through the bulkhead past the passenger seat to find itself somewhere near the leisure battery to power a charger. The RCD needs putting as close to the inlet as possible, arctic 2.5 mm flex is best, but in engine bay it should be armoured, there is a reason VW put it down the side that doesn't open, short run easy install.

My ehu is located under the rear bumper on the near side. This was done early in its life, as it was an ex hire van.

That’s where I put mine (2012 Beach). You can get cable into the van using a spare grommet between bumper and wheel arch. I would have gone for a hinged flap under rear light had it been available at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually never use the EHU, but am not normally static on a site for very long. With the Delta2 and alternator charger there is little need for it now.

Engine bay is good, when hooked up leave the bonnet slightly open, but on the latch. Then acts as a warning that you are plugged in, as bonnet open warning comes up on the dash reminding you to unplug before driving away.

(The factory fit EHU has an audible warning when you switch the ignition on whilst hooked up - it’s unlikely that a retrofit will have this feature.)

Last edited: