My pup is imminent.... what do I need for safe travels, please?

nigpdreadingfc

nigpdreadingfc

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I have a question for those that have experience of having a pup and taking them on your travels in a Cali Ocean.
I am getting my pup this week and we will be off on many adventures as soon as I can get him accustomed to the van.
My question is, what did you find is the best way to keep little him/her safe while travelling in the Cali and what equipment did you use, please?
Also, any tips to make it as stress free and anxiety free as possible for my new travelling companion, would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help

IMG_7750.jpeg

So cute!
Agree travel crate and once on site i have a fabric folding dog pen which has mesh windows/doors and a removable zipped top and floor. Folds into a flat bag and brilliant bit of kit. Think it was from Amazon or eBay but check the measurements as I think mine for small terrier is the XL!!!

Every dog is different so I can only share my experience. We got her in the van immediately and travelled frequently with her in it even on short trips to the shops so she very quickly became used to and comfortable in the van environment. So much so that she’s happy to be left in the van on her own on occasion. We may be lucky in that she never gets travel sick. I’ve never used a crate but I do attach one of those safety seat belt type leash to her harness, I don’t clip it into the seat belt but it’s attached to the chassis via the seat belt bolts, she sits and sleeps happily between the front seats. That said she is around 10kg so that might not work with a bigger dog though, your pup looks like it’s not going to be a giant either?

I also have a 15m length of climbing rope which also clips to the harness and on various parts of the van (e.g. the tow ball eye) so she can explore the area a little bit while I’m setting up camp without straying off.

She has become my constant adventure companion, associates the van with fun trips and even back packs and wild camps in the tent with me too. She very quickly relegated the Cali to my second favourite ever purchase. I hope you enjoy your pup as much.

Back