Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gutted

LynandJim

LynandJim

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Noticed today our spare wheel has been stolen off our Cali. Bought it July 2015 brand new, checked spare wheel then and forgotten about it.
Checked it today and one bolt missing and wheel gone , £175 out of pocket but bought lock for wheel now. Not worth claiming on insurance but didn't realise van didn't come with lock on spare wheel. , thank goodness we noticed else we could've had a puncture and no spare wheel

So you've never checked tyre pressures in 8 months? :talktothehand

So you've never checked tyre pressures in 8 months? :talktothehand

Don't think many check pressure on their spare at all....if the got one already!
I do....

Of course we check the tyre pressures on a regular basis but you're not going to be popular in a queue on a garage forecourt getting the spare tyre out from underneath the van!! , we've ordered a lock for the tyre this time

Ah thanks Grannyjen, we are gutted and really annoyed, racking our brains when it could have been stolen, it's mostly our fault as we didn't know we needed a lock but I'm now scared that if it was taken off the drive they will come back and do it again

I know it is a bit late now, but if you have any tyres on the van that need replacing soon, then it might be an idea to just move one of the old tyres to the spare (and buy an old scrap wheel) - then if it does get stolen again you won't have lost much.

If you do get a puncture then having an old minging wheel on the van will encourage you to get the puncture fixed :)

Really sorry to hear about your experience. Luckily my dealer took my spare wheel off and left it under the bench in the back of the van when I picked the Cali up and told me to get a lock before putting it underneath. Without that advice and this forum mine would likely be gone too.

I know how you feel, ours was stolen last year, we had a security bolt fitted on ours when it was pinched and they still managed to get it off. Since fitted a Sparesafe

So many cars today don't even have a spare today. I think gonna just remove it right away.

+1 for the Spare safe, essential accessory for the Cali IMHO, the locking wheel nut on its own is as no protection at all as it can be turned with a pair of grips, I am surprised VW gets away with selling them TBH

Our spare was stolen from right outside our house, grrrr. Replacement spare and sparesafe now in place.

Ours was also stolen last summer on a trip to Alton towers, there was a Caravelle next to us who also had theirs stolen, this problem seems to be escalating

I'vejust been to my local commercial dealer and ordered a security bolt, only £13, better than nothing. Only bought it today, because on hear and another forum, there are a lot of people reporting this recently.
It will make for a good practice run fitting it, just in case needed later in the year.

I'vejust been to my local commercial dealer and ordered a security bolt, only £13, better than nothing. Only bought it today, because on hear and another forum, there are a lot of people reporting this recently.
It will make for a good practice run fitting it, just in case needed later in the year.

Security bolt on its own is next to useless, it can be undone with a pair of grips. Best solution is a Sparesafe available from the club shop.

Bluemotion includes tyre pressure monitors, although Im not sure I trust them so I have checked mine anyway.

Does the TPMS monitor the spare then ?

Lol no will admit I don't test my spares pressure I just check its firm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the TPMS monitor the spare then ?
No. TPMS uses the ABS sensors on each wheel to monitor the rotational radius, which alters with the Tyre pressure. As pressure drops the radius decreases and the wheel turns faster. 10% drip in pressure triggers alarm. Spare is therefore not monitored.

Last edited:
Scumbags, should cut their hands off when they catch them!

(Steel) Transporter wheels are available reasonably cheap on eBay, but you may end up buying your own spare back. :D

Back