Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

NC500 In September

blakeley

blakeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Looking to do NC500 in September, is this a good time to do it ? Will it be busy?

Usually, September is an excellent time on the west coast as still some chance of reasonable weather, and the midges will have gone.

This year, who can say about whether it will be busy?

Will we be allowed?

Will we be allowed?

I think that depends primarily on whether the Westminster and/or Scottish governments want to maintain a restriction on movements between regions by that point. The SG may remain under political pressure from Scots living in rural areas to head off a sudden rush of tourists into the most popular destinations.

It's important to note that for a lot of people living around the NC500 route, campervans/MHs don't actually bring that much money or other benefit into communities - campers don't eat in restaurants so much and tend to stock up in the supermarkets in Inverness and Fort William. And the traffic causes locals a lot of annoyance. So some may be happy to keep things quiet on the NC500 for as long as they can.

But how they would keep the NC500 'closed' is hard to anticipate. I guess the government(s) could re-frame restriction-of-movement laws to prevent inter-regional travel without excuse, and/or put out strong guidance deterring, and/or keep key infrastructure constrained eg keep campsites closed.

Very hard to call from this point, I would say.

Indeed I do wonder if the locals will want to keep their new found peace and quiet for an extended period. I think if it were me I'd want to preserve it, especially as there appears not to be a significant economic benefit from being fully open.
I also wonder if strength of local feeling could result in certain types of visitors actually not being made welcome and them being told so in no uncertain terms. Difficult one.
Again, I think if it were me I'd be thinking of waiting for the dust to settle after lifting of restrictions before venturing too far from all the great sights that are available closer to home.
I have no doubt though that whatever my views are we will see how it all pans out in the coming months (years?).

Looking to do NC500 in September, is this a good time to do it ? Will it be busy?
We went to west coast NC500 in September 2018; weather started of very nice but then Storm Ally blasted in. At times had to resort to just seeking shelter and hunker down (dare’t put the roof up) which impacted our plans for wild camping. There were still a lot of campers around, and quite a few hired motorhomes (beware!!). But in general one of the best months to visit, and would definitely go again, still some midges though.
3EF699DD-D0A7-47BE-B220-C632D3F186FC.jpeg96F351F3-2135-46BF-A5C5-0B961BA86426.jpeg4783C126-7C1F-4877-8A20-E7B5CCE76EE3.jpeg44F3CD1B-5A8D-4B2D-9087-5488F6C93C7A.jpeg96F351F3-2135-46BF-A5C5-0B961BA86426.jpeg

We should have been there now! We've rebooked for April next year, hopefully things will have settled down by then.

We also should have been up there in a weeks time. We to always go up again in late Sept when schools have gone back so no kids around. Normally steer away from main NC500 route. I think the people of Applecross have mixed feelings about their small community now getting overrun in summer so they'll be happy at the moment................ as other say - who knows what will happen. We remember Storm Ally - we were on Arran and ferrys had stopped. Trees down all over the place so simply locked down and played various games!!! Thankfully we didn't have are over boisterous young lab with us!

20180918_190200.jpg

Usually, September is an excellent time on the west coast as still some chance of reasonable weather, and the midges will have gone.

This year, who can say about whether it will be busy?
I did the West side in September and we had about 10 days rain in 14. No midges though as an upside.

In all seriousness the weather is very changeable anyway but seemed very much so when we went. Decent waterproofs and making the most when it was good was the key.

Exactly - there's no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes. We have had rain but most of the time it has been reasonable. When our boys were small where ever we went on holiday we always had rain and even got the name from friends as 'The rainmakers' and no-one else booked our holiday weeks!!!! Now though having purchased expensive waterproof kit and boots the tables seem to have turned!! I would much rather have bright cold weather where you can layer up than hot weather that exhausts you - you'll never find me in a hot climate!

This was arriving at Arran last Sept and up Goat Fell the islands highest mountain and Catacol beach where we cooked steak and watched sunset.....................

IMG-20190920-WA0006.jpg

20190921_133305.jpg

20190921_131328.jpg

Catacol.jpg

Sadly it doesn't look like you'll be doing the trip - however if you do and don't mind a walk (erm about 4 miles) there is a fantastic beach just south of Cape Wrath called Sandwood Bay. There is no motor access to this beach, just a long windy track so if you wanted a BBQ on beach you need to carry everything. You can't walk round the coast either but when you get there - wow, massive sand dunes and beautiful beach. Most remote beach in UK. You can park free at Blairmore where there are toilets and off you go - here's map and yes there weather was stormy last time we went but spectacular looking towards Cape Wrath
1587633667456.png

20170510_121008.jpg

20170510_121444.jpg

20170510_121618.jpg

Sadly it doesn't look like you'll be doing the trip - however if you do and don't mind a walk (erm about 4 miles) there is a fantastic beach just south of Cape Wrath called Sandwood Bay. There is no motor access to this beach, just a long windy track so if you wanted a BBQ on beach you need to carry everything. You can't walk round the coast either but when you get there - wow, massive sand dunes and beautiful beach. Most remote beach in UK. You can park free at Blairmore where there are toilets and off you go - here's map and yes there weather was stormy last time we went but spectacular looking towards Cape Wrath
View attachment 57914

View attachment 57916

View attachment 57917

View attachment 57918
+1 for Sandwood Bay was des
View attachment 57914

View attachment 57916

View attachment 57917

View attachment 57918
+1 for Sandwood Bay last time we visited it was deserted

5B74A326-BEA9-498C-86E4-FCE617BB58C1.jpeg

1D863A0F-6831-404B-9FAD-2D3623E8007D.jpeg

Sun did shine once and just the odd highland moo around. Up on that hill to the right I did spot a small orange blob which turned out to be a Force Ten Vango!!! Was blowing a hoolie and bitter westerly

2015-05-08 10.54.21.jpg

Sandwood Bay still on our list.

Amazing beaches on the west coast of Harris. We did a 2-day circumnavigation of Great Bernera from Callanish, many years ago. Here is the beach on the south-east corner of Little Bernera. You won't get here in a Cali!

IMG_0211.jpg

The Scottish Government legislation re covid19 lasts for initially 6 months so I don't think there will be any travelling up here or along the 500 this year. Does allow for proper planning for next to get the most out of the area though. Damn this virus and its effect on us all.

Amazing beaches on the west coast of Harris. We did a 2-day circumnavigation of Great Bernera from Callanish, many years ago. Here is the beach on the south-east corner of Little Bernera. You won't get here in a Cali!

View attachment 57928
Not in a Cali but those are nice sea kayaks a little different to my Acrobat! I would love to island hop in one of those; was a kayak coach for several years when younger and still have my dry suit and kit - Acro is on loan to a local outdoor centre for use by an instructor as it's possibly vintage now!!!!!! Reinforcing tube along length of hull..................

The Scottish Government legislation re covid19 lasts for initially 6 months so I don't think there will be any travelling up here or along the 500 this year. Does allow for proper planning for next to get the most out of the area though. Damn this virus and its effect on us all.
6 months = Oct/Nov???????? Only joking - we'll all be watching for next Arpil/May time

Not in a Cali but those are nice sea kayaks a little different to my Acrobat! I would love to island hop in one of those; was a kayak coach for several years when younger and still have my dry suit and kit - Acro is on loan to a local outdoor centre for use by an instructor as it's possibly vintage now!!!!!! Reinforcing tube along length of hull..................
We have done a few one week paddling trips around Scotland. One of the great things about a sea kayak is the way a bottle of something strong fits perfectly in the bow. Nice and chilled for when you get to camp!

View attachment 57928
Harris beaches are nearly as good as those on the Isles of Scilly :)

A780A2D9-95C5-4B5B-9FB7-1F6710909718.jpeg

6203408C-2249-47C2-9E43-7A34E40F6E7B.jpeg

9BD6A81D-F558-4046-A506-CA3BEFAE99D8.jpeg

8695F67D-4B37-4147-A9EE-C9FB67607895.jpeg

6490E7F7-AE1D-457C-A4C8-FC0DE652C151.jpeg

A62D3DBF-373F-486E-877C-8C53D8B03E59.jpeg

I'll simply have to tranquillise her ladyship and creep onto a ferry :) Looks wonderful

I'll simply have to tranquillise her ladyship and creep onto a ferry :) Looks wonderful
I'm fairly certain you can still fly by (small!) plane and/or helicopter. If you haven't been you really must go, simply stunning.