Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

NC500 In September

You might be lucky but it depends on what Ms Sturgeon says!

We are hoping to do it still this year but will be supporting the small hotels and b&b's instead of camping. They will have to open at some point or else they will all go bust
[/QUOTE Don't think I would want to stay in hotels or B&Bs when I have a perfectly good Cali to stay in, one that no one else has been in. If Ms S throws a spanner in the works we will spend our time and cash in England.

An alternative view of the NC500.

Interesting article B J G and I suppose you will always have to endure people who can't behave properly but the article did seem to be slanted against tourism in the area. You have to wonder how many businesses in the area have profited from the route.

We were supposed were supposed to go up at the end off March but obviously that didn't happen but we may go in September if we are allowed otherwise Cornwall seems a good bet.

We were there last spring and would have gone again this year, in fact we would have been in Ullapool today having spent last week in a holiday rent in Plockton. Loved it last year, it's an amazing place to visit, especially the west coast but I feel that motor homes and campervaners generally have a parasitic rather than symbiotic relationship with the locals. We always pay to stay on a campsite, eat out at least once a day, buy food locally and find a few other interesting things to buy to help support the local economy. The odd night wild camping in a remote location is fine but some seem to go away with the intention of not spending a bean locally and then wonder why the locals are getting annoyed.

We were there last spring and would have gone again this year, in fact we would have been in Ullapool today having spent last week in a holiday rent in Plockton. Loved it last year, it's an amazing place to visit, especially the west coast but I feel that motor homes and campervaners generally have a parasitic rather than symbiotic relationship with the locals. We always pay to stay on a campsite, eat out at least once a day, buy food locally and find a few other interesting things to buy to help support the local economy. The odd night wild camping in a remote location is fine but some seem to go away with the intention of not spending a bean locally and then wonder why the locals are getting annoyed.
Well put Keith we are the same, invest in the local economy or it may not be there next time you want to visit. I expect locals will be greeting people with open arms after lockdown.

We also did the same, we stayed at small local campsites and purchased local food from local shops, we also ate out every other night. So many people wild camp and buy from supermarkets which is quite sad. This year and next the small businesses will need our support even more

I'd say it's a game of two halves. Some sections of the NC500, especially up parts of the east coast, are well served by tourist infrastructure, local shops, and attractions like distilleries etc. They and the immediate communities thereby benefit economically from visitors, because there are ways to extract cash from the visitors in their way through (I don't mean that cynically).

On the other hand large stretches of the route, especially up in the north and north west, are rural communities with their glorious scenery being the main draw. There are actually very very few shops, pubs (almost none, actually), restaurants or cash-paying tourist attractions, they are farming communities to which having convoys of campervans, MHs and classic cars add little or nothing and for most people are just an embuggerance.

If you'd've been in Ullapool today you could have gone to the fabulous fish n chips seller just next to the ferry. Just brilliant f 'n chips. Best in Scotland. Worth the trip just for them. If you can keep the seagulls away from stealing them.
Great bookshop there too just around the corner.

If you'd've been in Ullapool today you could have gone to the fabulous fish n chips seller just next to the ferry. Just brilliant f 'n chips. Best in Scotland. Worth the trip just for them. If you can keep the seagulls away from stealing them.
Great bookshop there too just around the corner.

That's not cheered me up, but it is something to look forward to for next year, hopefully. We were lucky that the holiday company let us transfer our week in Plockton to next year, so that's probably best part of the year with no income for the woman who owns the holiday let. Hard times for so many.

That's not cheered me up, but it is something to look forward to for next year, hopefully. We were lucky that the holiday company let us transfer our week in Plockton to next year, so that's probably best part of the year with no income for the woman who owns the holiday let. Hard times for so many.
Plockton is beautiful, we were there last September on the way back from Wester Ross :)

07C3A5C0-191F-4AA1-9967-22052801CCE1.jpeg

EA45F3B5-44DE-4667-9F92-3275D20832BD.jpeg

253DCCBC-DCB8-49E2-98CC-850DCAC17E93.jpeg

376E6783-ECFD-4279-978C-8F7E3E5B2447.jpeg

467C3160-EC89-460A-960E-285E14B32A7D.jpeg

9B4E9F16-0E78-453E-8CD6-B75BBD6B90FF.jpeg

C50E7DEC-B3C0-40DC-B64B-2F65B6C5755A.jpeg

We stayed right next to the fish and chip shop, it's a fantastic place to stay and a good location. We took about a week to get up there and then did the 500 before meandering home.

We stayed right next to the fish and chip shop, it's a fantastic place to stay and a good location. We took about a week to get up there and then did the 500 before meandering home.
We added 4 days in Skye to our 5 week hike/bike/Cali NC trip last July, 3 days perfect weather and one day rained out. Stayed one night at the campground at Glenbrittle , which has beautiful views. For any celiacs out there, the fish and chip shop on the loch at Portree has gluten free F+C option.

Well now - things are looking up as the missus has agreed we can go to Lewis & Harris next May if all is running by then! Think to keep it ferry time down we'll probably go via Uig meaning overnight at Faichemard Farm in Invergary. It's a 10 hour drive but I know it well and then just over 2 and half to Uig so late morning ferry. I am really hoping we have a Cali by then though - love our T5 Leisuredrive but speedier bed set up is one thing I'd look forward to and perhaps quieter more comfortable ride.............???

Well now - things are looking up as the missus has agreed we can go to Lewis & Harris next May if all is running by then! Think to keep it ferry time down we'll probably go via Uig meaning overnight at Faichemard Farm in Invergary. It's a 10 hour drive but I know it well and then just over 2 and half to Uig so late morning ferry. I am really hoping we have a Cali by then though - love our T5 Leisuredrive but speedier bed set up is one thing I'd look forward to and perhaps quieter more comfortable ride.............???
That’s great news, you’ll have a wonderful time. Each time we’ve gone to Outer Hebrides we’ve usually gone late April early May. As you get into the third week of May it tends to start getting busier.
Now you just need to get her to agree to Orkney the following year :upsidedown

My neighbours would say the exact opposite. If a sudden rush of travellers descended l am sure the Scottish government would introduce controls. The local MSP has already tried to bring in controls before and failed but times have changed. Patience and hopefully all will be well in the not too distant future.

I think we will chance it, the fine is only £30 which is about the same cost of a campsite fee. I imagine it will be nice and quiet too

I think we will chance it, the fine is only £30 which is about the same cost of a campsite fee. I imagine it will be nice and quiet too
Please don't and ruin it all for the rest of us. You've heard what we've been asked to do and whether you like it or not you still need to abide by it especially as Scotland's rate is still rising and they're keeping in lockdown. If you really want to go then why can't you simply wait like the rest of us!!!!!!!!! It is the few like you that spoil it all for the rest of us. We will come out of this but we must be patient and let the science do the work. Do you really want to be in part responsible for a second more deadlier wave of this terrible virus and destroy the lives of our hard working NHS frontline who are already badly affected and need a rest!!!!!!!! Try being married to one and see how broken they look when they do get home!!!!!

Chance it is probably the correct way of putting it. We live in a tourist area and people are already beginning to ignore the rules and police time is being wasted rounding them up and sending them home. I guarantee that if you ignore it you will be made very unwelcome as already said by the locals. Just irresponsible and most likely would not be enjoyable.

Please don't and ruin it all for the rest of us. You've heard what we've been asked to do and whether you like it or not you still need to abide by it especially as Scotland's rate is still rising and they're keeping in lockdown. If you really want to go then why can't you simply wait like the rest of us!!!!!!!!! It is the few like you that spoil it all for the rest of us. We will come out of this but we must be patient and let the science do the work. Do you really want to be in part responsible for a second more deadlier wave of this terrible virus and destroy the lives of our hard working NHS frontline who are already badly affected and need a rest!!!!!!!! Try being married to one and see how broken they look when they do get home!!!!!
Well said.

September - I hope so.