Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Nearside awning rail? It does Nowt!

I just tried fitting a length of 6mm Kador in the rail. Yes, it will fit but it is also quite easy to pull out. I can imagine if you had a canopy attached the combined forces of pegging it out and a small gust of wind would easily cause the Kador to pull out of the rail. Not ideal.

I just tried fitting a length of 6mm Kador in the rail. Yes, it will fit but it is also quite easy to pull out. I can imagine if you had a canopy attached the combined forces of pegging it out and a small gust of wind would easily cause the Kador to pull out of the rail. Not ideal.
@Jabberwocky if the 6mm easily pulls out from the rail, do you think this would suffice instead?
8mm Kador Strip

.... well, I'll soon find out. I've bought 3m of the stuff. If it's no good I've lost a £few so no great deal tbh

the item I posted a link to is a 7mm to 6mm kador with the 7mm going into the cali rail.

the item I posted a link to is a 7mm to 6mm kador with the 7mm going into the cali rail.
Yes. It was £15 however and I won't need both edges. The strip I've bought is not only cheaper but will be sewn direct to a basha so the 6mm "edge" won't be necessary

@Jabberwocky if the 6mm easily pulls out from the rail, do you think this would suffice instead?
8mm Kador Strip
I wonder why it's advertised as 7/8mm. Surely it can't be both?
Anyway if it were 8mm it will be a tight fit and certainly be less prone to any potential pull out. My biggest concern would be if you could actually feed an 8mm strip into the rail on the van. The lead-in is quite short and there was already some resistance when I tried my 6mm. As you said earlier you will soon find out!

I wonder why it's advertised as 7/8mm. Surely it can't be both?
Anyway if it were 8mm it will be a tight fit and certainly be less prone to any potential pull out. My biggest concern would be if you could actually feed an 8mm strip into the rail on the van. The lead-in is quite short and there was already some resistance when I tried my 6mm. As you said earlier you will soon find out!
7mm internal. 8mm external

The beading is solid not hollow so can not have an internal dimension.....? Or I am missing something.

I'd guess the beading proper is 7mm. Factoring in the webbing surround, the entire circumference is 8mm?
Seems to make sense?
Maybe?
lol

It's the only rationale I can think of. (but not sure why you would want to know the diameter of the beading proper as it is always used with the webbing surround)
Anyway seem to have an explanation. Thanks.

Could someone make a suggestion how to make use of this rail? I assume someone sells bits n bobs that will slide in an attach things like washing lines, etc etc? Any clues.. It does seem a waste having it but doing nothing? Suggestions please!!
Add a driveaway awning each side and you’ll be camping X-wing style (a la Starwars)

I believe it's called a "C" channel. Its possible to buy awnings, canopies, washing drying lines etc that will fit this rail. The Club sell some items but also thumb screws (That's not a device of torture!) that also fit this rail so I guess in theory you can attach almost anything you wish. Personally? I like the idea of an additional awning for the Cali as a shelter from the sun as it's not always possible to park up facing the way you want.
I am sure others will have other ideas for you.
Or a tarpaulin and couple of poles.

Very useful for me when traveling
I have in place a thumb screw to which I place a hook on to support a 10lt water sac so I can top up my water supply when there’s an opportunity too

Alan

Very useful for me when traveling
I have in place a thumb screw to which I place a hook on to support a 10lt water sac so I can top up my water supply when there’s an opportunity too

Alan
Like that idea, Alan.

I got four 3D printed blocks to fit this rail from @Bigted They have hole to attach a tarp. Only a £1 each. Brilliant.
@altvic i checked @Bigted’s Facebook shop but found no product to fit the side rail. Is it called something else?

Could someone make a suggestion how to make use of this rail? I assume someone sells bits n bobs that will slide in an attach things like washing lines, etc etc? Any clues.. It does seem a waste having it but doing nothing? Suggestions please!!
Roof topper connects to it

Back