Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The coffee thread

As this seems to be the longest thread on coffee making on the forum (and a lot of off-topic stuff also :D) , adding some stuff....about coffee

Got my hands on a Minipresso witch changed hands between @MattBW and me on the Slimbridge meet (thanks again Matt !)
I used it a couple of times and must say the coffee tastes good , i carry some fresh home grinded beans to use in my French press and/or the Aeropress now i have a thirth divice with me to make coffee .
The Bialetti espresso maker i don't take anymore once i got a Aeropress.

Now the Minipresso gives good coffee but very litlle in one time and it reqiures a lot of cleaning ....so i'll think the Aeropress is gonne stay my nr1 coffee maker .
The (to me new ) Minipresso needs a bit more time to get used to and i will be carrying it in the Cali using it anyway.
IMG_8499.JPG

Last edited:
Now the Minipresso gives good coffee but very litlle in one time and it reqiures a lot of cleaning ....so i'll think the Aeropress is gonne stay my nr1 coffee maker .
I have something similar but it's called a Handpresso (? I think), works like an expresso machine with the water being forced through by compressed air from the attached hand pump which has a pressure gauge attached. It does make nice coffee with some crema but as you say, very little of it; and unless you warm everything through beforehand the coffee is not very hot. I normally use ESE coffee pods with it as ground coffee makes a mess.

I got an Aeropress for Christmas and that makes a bigger cup, no crema but the coffee tastes OK and reasonably easy to dispose of the grounds. I was packing it to take to Slimbridge but Mrs said "You're not taking that!" so that WAS that! :mad:

Anyway, a good compromise is Lyons coffee bags, the coffee smells really nice and the taste is acceptable; easy and no mess! It's good to get home to the proper coffee machine though! :thumb

I got an Aeropress for Christmas and that makes a bigger cup, no crema but the coffee tastes OK and reasonably easy to dispose of the grounds. I was packing it to take to Slimbridge but Mrs said "You're not taking that!" so that WAS that! :mad:

I use an Aeropress at home and also keep one in the van. We find it highly practical when travelling. No bling or drama, but a reliable cup of coffee. And it really is a doddle to clean out, just press out the grounds 'plug' and a quick wipe across the face of the plunger and you're done.

Maybe I should be on commission...

The Aeropress is indeed also used at home as i am the only drinking one cup in the morning , and only when not working/weekend as other i drink my cup at work from the machine (also with fresh grinded beans from Douwe Egberts)

I bought a nanopresso about a month ago and also got the nespresso adaptor for it. This combo seems to work really well and I do get decent crema from it.

Now just need to sort out a stove top milk steamer and i'm sure it won't be that far away from my normal daily flat white from my Expobar DB...!

Unless I turn the back of my Cali into a secret coffee van :)

Anyway, a good compromise is Lyons coffee bags, the coffee smells really nice and the taste is acceptable; easy and no mess! It's good to get home to the proper coffee machine though! :thumb

I use the coffee bags every day in the truck. Quite good coffee. Taylor of harrogate also do them in different strengths.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This weekend in a Belgium newspaper a barista has tested some portable coffeemakers to take camping....
The Aeropress came out the best .
It's witten in Dutch but you see the devices she used and the rating given also prices in € , does who want to read it try and use google translate;)
https://www.nieuwsblad.be/special/dgt-campingkoffiezet

I swear by my Aeropress so I was interested enough to use Google translate......

Aerobie Aeropress Coffee Maker
Description Coffee & espresso maker.
Purchased from Bol.com.
Price 47.96 euros.
Assessment "The supplied creator is useful. You can accurately measure the amount of coffee. There is also a practical graduation on the transparent tube. To make the coffee, you have to manually create pressure. The taste depends entirely on the way you push. This can play to your disadvantage if you do not know anything about it, but vice versa also applies: you can get delicious coffee from here. You get one full head, even though that is little. It is not a social device, but it is fast and practical. After use, you simply press the supplied filter and you can make the next cup. "

Horrified by the price as it's about twice what I paid for mine in UK but I see that even the UK price has gone up considerably - maybe an indication of the popularity?

Of course the flavour of coffe is a very subjective thing, it depends how you like and what brand and you use, and which type within that brand - Aeropress with Lavazza Rossa does it for me!

Since i got the Aeropress by recomendation here on the forum i also like it a lot .
Alltough i used a italian coffeemaker before of witch i also was happy but suddenly it wasn't working proppery anymore for some strange reason there was only half the water boiling up then before....
Now i recent bumpt in a second hand (but new in the box) italian coffeemaker and seems thisone when doing the job like it should (obvoiusly) makes also quality coffee the way i like it .
The french press is also always in the Cali as it is the easyest and cleanest way to make coffee while camping but the taste for me is a bit less then the two other devices.
Had the chance to borrow a handpresso from a fellow forummember :D but it's way to much haslle imo. and very litlle coffee...

The Cafflano Klassic in the link a gave two posts above is something i never seen.
It has a build in grinder....

http://cafflanoshop.com/

Last edited:
I always like the look of the Cafflano and almost ordered one a few times. I know the first editions had problems with the grinder but I expect thats all sorted now.

I've also pondered a hand grinder to use with my Oomph, but in the end I just grind some coffee at home and take it with me. The review above suggests using preground so seems a waste of the grinder if thats true.

Would be really interested in anyone who has tried one of these. :)

I always like the look of the Cafflano and almost ordered one a few times. I know the first editions had problems with the grinder but I expect thats all sorted now.

I've also pondered a hand grinder to use with my Oomph, but in the end I just grind some coffee at home and take it with me. The review above suggests using preground so seems a waste of the grinder if thats true.

Would be really interested in anyone who has tried one of these. :)

Aergrind is a fab hand grinder, does espresso and pour over.

This weekend in a Belgium newspaper a barista has tested some portable coffeemakers to take camping....
The Aeropress came out the best .
It's witten in Dutch but you see the devices she used and the rating given also prices in € , does who want to read it try and use google translate;)
https://www.nieuwsblad.be/special/dgt-campingkoffiezet

Nice article. For us the Chemex works really well, great coffee with little mess.

Also the last water in the bottem reservoir does not go up so i always have a very small amount of coffee ( very strong it is indeed!)
It's not supposed to...the last bit of water is there to stop the boiler burning if you don't switch off straight away ☺

I do enjoy my Chemex at home but I’m not sure I’d consider taking in on the road....in my opinion a bit fragile to be chucked in the cupboard.

My norm is the AeroPress. But I also keep this in the van with some filters.

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/collections/brewers/products/kalita-caffe-uno

....for some easy brews. And finally I normally have a pack of these in case I need to make a couple of cups with very little mess.

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/collections/filters/products/kalita-kantan

At home I have a load of other brewers and equipment. But have to say whatever your favourite, if your looking to improve your coffee the first step should be to get yourself a grinder and some fresh beans.

Nice article. For us the Chemex works really well, great coffee with little mess.

I do enjoy my Chemex at home but I’m not sure I’d consider taking in on the road....in my opinion a bit fragile to be chucked in the cupboard.

....for some easy brews. And finally I normally have a pack of these in case I need to make a couple of cups with very little mess.

At home I have a load of other brewers and equipment. But have to say whatever your favourite, if your looking to improve your coffee the first step should be to get yourself a grinder and some fresh beans.

I've bought a small plastic pour over that fits directly over the cups, less than £2 works a treat. Less of a clean up job than with an aero press, weight or dose and the do a 1:17 ish ratuo

I have tried all the coffee gadgets above and it is impossible to get a good coffee that I can make at home with my my Sage Oracle and fresh beans I admit I am a coffee snob :oops: but most of the portable devices will give you something that only resembles a filter coffee so I now just stick to either tea or using my stove top expresso maker.

I suppose its down to individual preference and what coffee you drink.....i'd certain not compare any of these to my Mazza and Expobar which produces better Espresso based drinks than pretty much any coffee shop I've been in. But on the other hand i do also drink brewed coffee at home (Chemex, Aeropress, Behmor etc) and being able to replicate that on the road keeps my caffeine buzz topped up.

I have tried all the coffee gadgets above and it is impossible to get a good coffee that I can make at home with my my Sage Oracle and fresh beans I admit I am a coffee snob :oops: but most of the portable devices will give you something that only resembles a filter coffee so I now just stick to either tea or using my stove top expresso maker.

Get an old popcorn maker from a charity shop and roast your own beans, the fresh roast smell lingers for hours.... It's great!

Since i now know how to make a (for me) good coffee on the road (using my Aeropress , italian coffeemaker , or my french press:D) i got to the point that i got myself a handgrinder .
A Hario mss-1 about 32€ in the warehouse but i found one 26€ online free deliverd next day ;)
Rather small with removeble handle , plastic reservoir (unbreakable while travelling) , and for 1-2cups (rating 12gr/cup) , adjustable to make fine grind .
IMG_9200.JPG
IMG_9199.JPG
Turning the screw on the inside to adjust the grinding.
IMG_9198.JPG
IMG_9197.JPG
Ceramic parts .
IMG_9210.JPG
Been testing @home , this is the finest grind , almost powder!
It does take a lot of winding to get 12gr grind this fine but i never got these fine grind with my electric grinder .
Perfect for the italian coffeemaker
IMG_9211.JPG
After use it looks almost like a coffeepad:D
IMG_9213.JPG

Result , a good strong coffee the way i like it
IMG_9212.JPG
Another thing to trow in the Cali !

Last edited:
I went down a similar route and have landed on the Aeropress - it really is the best thing I have found for home or travel.

I also got a grinder - which looks identical to the one in Hotel California's post - search for "SimpleTaste Hand-Crank Coffee Grinder with Ceramic Burr" - it was £8.99 from Amazon (but is currently out of stock) - it is really good and works perfectly.

My pallet can't really spot the difference - as long as you keep you pre-ground coffee in an air tight container and use it pretty quick. I use Ikea Korken jars. So I find the grinder one step too far for faff!

Not that particular one but I've had some cheap grinders in the past and grind consistency is normally a problem. I have a this Rhino grinder now which i take with the AeroPress, it also fits perfectly into the aeropress for storage.

I went down a similar route and have landed on the Aeropress - it really is the best thing I have found for home or travel.

I also got a grinder - which looks identical to the one in Hotel California's post - search for "SimpleTaste Hand-Crank Coffee Grinder with Ceramic Burr" - it was £8.99 from Amazon (but is currently out of stock) - it is really good and works perfectly.

My pallet can't really spot the difference - as long as you keep you pre-ground coffee in an air tight container and use it pretty quick. I use Ikea Korken jars. So I find the grinder one step too far for faff!

Back