Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

230v inverter and socket worth it?

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Again looking through options for the beach version, 230v interior socket is outrageous expensive. Like 500 pounds.
Is it worth it? Best quality inverter is like 100 pounds at max.
Also no info on what wattage power that inverter can handle.
The only usable option there I see is charging the leisure battery from the power outlet.
Not sure if that socket becomes a normal power connection with higher wattage rate when power is plugged to a van.

Inverter in current cali is only 500 watts so only any good for charging phones laptops etc.
£100 will not get you real quality inverter. Pure sine wave ones are a couple of hundred for any useable power.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

On hookup it gives 220V direct from current power and one can use higher wattage.
At least on a SE don't know Beach....
If not on hookup the 12v to 220v inverter indeed can only be used with 150w accecoires...
I think a must have , thats is why they now offer it on the Beach , this was a missing option on the older Beaches

Again looking through options for the beach version, 230v interior socket is outrageous expensive. Like 500 pounds.
Is it worth it? Best quality inverter is like 100 pounds at max.
Also no info on what wattage power that inverter can handle.
The only usable option there I see is charging the leisure battery from the power outlet.
Not sure if that socket becomes a normal power connection with higher wattage rate when power is plugged to a van.
Are you sure it is an Inverter Socket?
Does the T6 Beach come with Mains Electrical Hookup as standard?
You cannot use an Inverter Socket, which runs of the 12v Leisure Battery, to charge the same Leisure Battery.

I'm using 600watt one which cost me just $40. Cheap but works.
Wasn't even sure where to use it, just for charging laptop. All the phones, tablets, kindles charge from usb so directly from 12v socket.
Planned to carry another 100ah battery anyway (I'm using with boat motor) so will just buy 1200watt inverter which cost just 70-100 pounds here. Will hook it up directly. For a slow cooker.
The only thing I need leisure battery for is music, lights and fridge running.
Yes, Beach has outer power socket by default, seems it will charge the leisure battery without any extra options.

There is no free lunch.
The higher the output the faster you flatten the leisure battery (assuming you load it up that is).

I'm a great believer in trusting VW to know what they're doing. They will have considered options and arrived at an optimim rating.

In almost five years of Californication I've never felt the need to invert.

When you are on hook up, does the inverter socket change to a mains one, or only because power comes from mains, goes to battery, to inverter then out, and is therefore square wave and only 150 watts while hooked up.

On hookup it gives 220V direct from current power and one can use higher wattage.
At least on a SE don't know Beach....
If not on hookup the 12v to 220v inverter indeed can only be used with 150w accecoires...
I think a must have , thats is why they now offer it on the Beach , this was a missing option on the older Beaches

For those who don't understand my writing...
The 220V three pin socket on hookup can give more than 150w

The inverter two pin socket(s) and cigaret lighter socket only 150w

On the Beach the socket changes to mains when on hookup.

If you only carry tablets and phones then a car USB charger is all you need.

Offcoarse but you can not pull more than 150w out of the two pin socket or a cigretligther

That's the only neat feature that I'd like to have. But paying that insane money just for that is a nonsense. :(
Of course there is no option to have 230v socket inside that simply gives you direct power from the outside connection without useless 150w inverter.

When you look at what you get for £500 then no, it isn't expensive. And yes, VW have thought this through very carefully. You can't compare equipment at this level with junk you see on e Bay or in Maplin.

I get 150w inverter hardly usable for anything and direct connection of external power. Anything else?
What do you mean "hardly usable for anything"? I can think of lots of uses. Anything else......yes, automatic selection of power source, quality installation, well thought out components. What is it exactly that you think that you should be getting?

There are some laptops today that require more than 150w ))

In 5 years I've had very little use from the built in 240v 2 pin socket (the one which supplies the power off the battery via an inverter).

It took me ages to find a suitable shaped plug to fit it, the only one I could find was a multi adapter which fits together like Lego, wobbles when it's in, and comes apart when you pull it out of the socket. On top of that the socket is in a difficult to reach place.

The only real use I've found is charging the laptop up, everything else we have can be run or charged directly off 12v. Now, my latest laptop can run for about 8 hours off it's battery so I find that's sufficient until I get home or reach a mains hook up.

Spend the £500 on something else! :D

I bought an inverter before they were installed in the Cali, but i have used it once or twice. I am like motacyclist and use the 12v socket in cab for charging phones (3) iPads (2) so no need for inverter.

John

I plug one of these lamps into the inverter (with converter extension to take a normal 3 pin plug ), whether hooked up or not:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?query=lampan

£7 for the lamp and LED bulb. Brilliant.

I used to have a red one until I sat on it one day when packing it away. Now I have the blue one, as they seem to have stopped selling the red one, and I fancied a change anyway. They give a real ambience to the van.

Thank you for all the info! For some naive reason, I thought there is like 500-800w inverter at this price. Considering this is kind of a camper. Being it just 150w is a 100% easy answer.
My only concern is to have power inside on a hookup. Is there option to have just a socket inside or have to put a cable through the window?

There is no need to put a mains cable through the window on a T5 SE Cali.

I can't speak for European Cali specifications, but the UK T5 version SE has a mains socket on the end of the kitchen unit behind the passenger seat (driver's seat in your case) which is only powered when the hook up is plugged into the campsite supply.

We also have a 2 pin 230v 150watt inverter socket, driven off the leisure batteries, low down on the on the 'B' pillar also behind the passenger (driver's)seat.

I am guessing that the 'B' pillar inverter socket is still fitted on the T6 Ocean and the mains powered socket is also available. This mains socket will clearly differ in design in Europe to the UK 13amp 3pin spec.

Alan

Back