Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

230v inverter and socket worth it?

My main concern is about beach version.

Need to be careful here to note that it's a Beech we're talking about not an SE.

On my 2014 Beech there is one 3 pin square outlet which when on hookup runs as if it is directly connected to the mains (albeit with only the power as supplied by the hookup). When it's not on hookup it is powered by the inverter.

So there is no need for a multi-adapter as in the SE, nor is there more than one outlet.

I wonder if in the new spec you get the 3 pin outlet as before but you can spec separately the inverter as an option. Or is the £500 for the whole hookup shebang, i.e. the connector on the outside of the van plus the outlet socket and inverter. if it is the £500 is a reasonable amount I'd think. And for us would be essential.

There is no need to put a mains cable through the window on a T5 SE Cali.

I can't speak for European Cali specifications, but the UK T5 version SE has a mains socket on the end of the kitchen unit behind the passenger seat (driver's seat in your case) which is only powered when the hook up is plugged into the campsite supply.

We also have a 2 pin 230v 150watt inverter socket, driven off the leisure batteries, low down on the on the 'B' pillar also behind the passenger (driver's)seat.

I am guessing that the 'B' pillar inverter socket is still fitted on the T6 Ocean and the mains powered socket is also available. This mains socket will clearly differ in design in Europe to the UK 13amp 3pin spec.

Alan

My Cali UK spec RHD has a european mains outlet socket as standard.

John

My main concern is about beach version.

Ahh, OK so the spec is different and a cable through the window may be an option.

I was going by the SE details under your avatar and that you are located in the Czech Republic.

Sorry to mislead you.

Alan

My Cali UK spec RHD has a european mains outlet socket as standard.

John

Did you specify that option? I don't think it is a standard one in the UK.

Alan

Alan

Well I am telling you it was standard in 2006, and still use it

Alan

No i didn't specify it, it came as standard on my 2006 Cali. Just converted all the electrical items to european plugs

According to details in configurator that price includes not just inverter but outside socket connection and possibility to charge the leisure battery from outside power. Which now seems as logical cost.

According to details in configurator that price includes not just inverter but outside socket connection and possibility to charge the leisure battery from outside power. Which now seems as logical cost.

Forgive me if I'm being naive here (useless with electrics) but does this mean there would be a standard 3 pin socket accessible on the outside of the Cali? The kind of thing we could plug a microwave into in a drive away awning? Way too much hassle on the short trips but for week long stays in school holidays this would be a real treat - my parents had this with their caravan last summer and it made life very convenient!

Forgive me if I'm being naive here (useless with electrics) but does this mean there would be a standard 3 pin socket accessible on the outside of the Cali? The kind of thing we could plug a microwave into in a drive away awning? Way too much hassle on the short trips but for week long stays in school holidays this would be a real treat - my parents had this with their caravan last summer and it made life very convenient!
No. The outside socket is for plugging the mains lead from the campsite Mains supply into the vehicle. That mains supply then provides mains power to a socket in the vehicle and also to a battery charger to charge the built in Leisure battery. You could plug an extension lead into the internal mains socket to provide power in the awning.

Thank you for clarifying and for the suggestion - will be on the lookout.

Another thing you can do is to bring another lead oiut of the socket you plug into the van with another socket on it. Make it about 2 metres long and you can put this under the back of the van. Then simply plug in a lead with a trailing socket on it and run it into your awning. Works a great until it rains so you'll need a waterproof box for your trailing 3 pin socket. I actually found a neat 2 gang socket.

We use this all the time as we have a dual voltage coolbox so when travelling it's plugged into the 12 volt socket behind the passenger seat and when on hookup it's outside the van on the trailing socket.

You do need the waterproof box though, we've tripped many a hookup before investing in that.

Waterproof box ->http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400928642946?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Double socket ->http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231707312...49&var=530926887389&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

On hookup it gives 220V direct from current power and one can use higher wattage.
At least on a SE don't know Beach....
If not on hookup the 12v to 220v inverter indeed can only be used with 150w accecoires...
I think a must have , thats is why they now offer it on the Beach , this was a missing option on the older Beaches
1338757002086.jpg

Or you could run the hook up lead into the awning then use a splitter. One lead to the hook up socket on the outside of the van and one lead to a normal three pin 13amp. socket for use in the awning.

Can answer my own question after I've tested it good. A hook up for the Beach is a must have for a simple reason of charging the leisure battery.
It doesn't come with inverter anyway and though we were carrying a decent 2kw one with us it is kinda useless. Most laptops cameras etc can be charged from 12v.
We use a long cable to the awning where we connect all the stuff for cooking outside and run a small cable to a hookup.

Probably not worth £500, but we use ours loads. We bought a 2 pin to 3 pin cable and socket from some one on this forum, and then plug a 4 socket extension lead into that and hey presto the kids charge all of their phones/ipods etc with no quareling over who gets the sockets as there are enough to go around. Great when travelling and great when not. We also plug our Ikea table lamp into it at night when not on hookup.

i.e., the key flexibility is that you can use low wattage items with proper 3 pin plugs when not on hookup.

Can anyone please confirm whether the "2 pin" inverter plug in an Ocean is just a standard mainland-EU plug, or whether it is different?

I only ask as I have a UK four-plug with an EU plug on the lead already. I'm guessing I would only use the inverter for laptop charging (85W) but may well find other uses yet....

Thanks.

Can anyone please confirm whether the "2 pin" inverter plug in an Ocean is just a standard mainland-EU plug, or whether it is different?

I only ask as I have a UK four-plug with an EU plug on the lead already. I'm guessing I would only use the inverter for laptop charging (85W) but may well find other uses yet....

Thanks.
If it's any help ... The 2 pin in my T5 seems to be the standard European socket. It had me puzzled for a while when I was trying to plug my electric shaver into it.... Apparently these are not the same.

If it's any help ... The 2 pin in my T5 seems to be the standard European socket. It had me puzzled for a while when I was trying to plug my electric shaver into it.... Apparently these are not the same.

Thanks, that's encouraging. Also means I should be able to get an EU pin set for my laptop charger, something Apple will probably charge me more than the laptop for!

Back