New 4MOTION tyre size.

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
4Motions now come fitted with 215/60/17, previously they were 235/55/17.
If you want the larger size, they are only available if you take the All Weather tyre option, which is available as 215 or 235's.
If you've gone for the vulnerable no cost option Diamond-Turned " Woodstock" wheels, perhaps the extra width would give you a little extra curb protection.

That's interesting. There is a big difference (from memory 10psi?) between the advised tyre pressures. The 215s being higher. When I changed to 235s the ride over potholes was much improved. Do we think the change is a fuel efficiency measure?

That's interesting. There is a big difference (from memory 10psi?) between the advised tyre pressures. The 215s being higher. When I changed to 235s the ride over potholes was much improved. Do we think the change is a fuel efficiency measure?
Probably, although isn't each vehicle type assessed for emissions? Any change in fuel efficiency would impact emissions and in the new tests would vehicles with different sized tyres need to be assessed separately?

My 4M came with the Goodyear winter tyre option. I've always followed the pressure chart on the door jam, is this correct or should I be following a tyre specific pressure?

Probably, although isn't each vehicle type assessed for emissions? Any change in fuel efficiency would impact emissions and in the new tests would vehicles with different sized tyres need to be assessed separately?
I'm very out of date with all the regulations, but even accepting each model is tested (so 150, 199, 4motion) I doubt they then do another set of tests with each of the options (such as wider wheels) fitted.

I don't think we ever got exactly to the bottom of which models came with 215s and which got 235s, but I certainly surprised my the OP's OP!

My 4M came with the Goodyear winter tyre option. I've always followed the pressure chart on the door jam, is this correct or should I be following a tyre specific pressure?
No you are good following the tyre pressure sticker. Your sticker may show the different size wheels and tyres that can be supplied with your van, and see the large differences in pressures for minor changes in dimensions.

The 215s always felt 'van spec'... Rock hard, minimum rolling resistance (from pressure and narrow width) and very good tyre life.... All factors fleet buyers would want.
The 235s always felt more car like. Might increase the consumption slightly, and have slightly shorter life, but softer ride and 'fuller' look.

Me say another VW sleight of hand to make it the fuel efficiency look better. I wish they had made it clear to me. I'd have chosen ride over economy. Have to check the original paperwork to see what it said there.

Checked the brochure. All 17" wheels now fitted with 215's. No option mentioned to have 235's.

I ordered 235 all weather tyres. They offered the 215’s, but I went for comfort over economy.

I would like to have the choice of normal 235/55's for comfort as previously supplied on 199/204's. I don't need all weather tyres, l'm given standard Transporter tyres.

Yes but like for like a thinner tyre works better, think how ice skates work, maximising pressure.
Huh? For one, no-one really knows how ice skates work. Secondly, ice skates are designed to reduce friction, and allow gliding on ice.

Rally cars use very thin tyres in snowy conditions, but VW have withdrawn their official rally team. So that's probably why narrow snow tyres are not an option on the California.

Rally cars have thin snow tyre's with hundreds of titanium spikes which offer grip and traction on the ice. For me its not so much the width of the tyre (contact patch of 215 vs 235 isn't that different) but the depth and design of the tread pattern. Specialized off roading vehicles in Iceland use very chunky tyres and lower the pressure. Contact pressure is a small factor.

I have some 255 Nokian winter tyres which are incredible in snow and ice. They also do a studded version, which I did not have. I brought them in Norway so they have a Scandinavian winter compound. I had to change the 3PSF all season tyres I went there with as they were terrifying. The compound and tread pattern trump the width.

I have some 255 Nokian winter tyres which are incredible in snow and ice. They also do a studded version, which I did not have. I brought them in Norway so they have a Scandinavian winter compound. I had to change the 3PSF all season tyres I went there with as they were terrifying. The compound and tread pattern trump the width.
This is on a 2WD van.

Back