New cali owner!

Kimg

Kimg

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi everyone!
I am Kim and I’ve finally made my dreams come true by now owning my California

I’m going to have lots of questions but first of all could someone please tell me what size fitted sheet I need for the roof bed… solo traveller so will always be sleeping in roof!

Thanks in advance! IMG_2182.jpeg

Hi Kim, I also go solo upstairs. I started with a single duvet cover over the mattress and quilt, but then (being a princess) opted for a duveley which I move up for the night as easily as a duvet. Also in Hampshire (Botley) if you need any support.

Hi Kim, I also go solo upstairs. I started with a single duvet cover over the mattress and quilt, but then (being a princess) opted for a duveley which I move up for the night as easily as a duvet. Also in Hampshire (Botley) if you need any support.
Hey thanks so much!!
What exactly is a Duveley I keep seeing this everywhere!
I think I will start with a sheet and duvet and go from there!
Oh wow you’re super close that’s so good to know thankyou!

Hey thanks so much!!

Hey thanks so much!!
Welcome to the club!
We like Duvalays as adds another layer to the mattress, and you’re not zipped in like a sleeping bag. Worth the money
Ps - does your Cali match your hair?

Last edited:
Welcome Kim!

First I hear of the single duvet cover idea. Sounds like a big pain indeed and I’m not sure what benefit it provides over a small double fitted sheet.

Even when solo, you’ll want to have the downstairs mattress be ready with a sheet too. Top bed is wonderful. But in windy/noisy environments, downstairs is a lot quieter.

Welcome Kim!

Bought my 5.1 in feb and loving it, best decision ever.

Enjoy the adventure. Any immediate plans?

Welcome to the club!
We like Duvalays as adds another layer to the mattress, and you’re not zipped in like a sleeping bag. Worth the money
Ps - does your Cali match your hair?
Haha unfortunately not, wish it did!
Ok thanks for for the advice

Welcome Kim!

Bought my 5.1 in feb and loving it, best decision ever.

Enjoy the adventure. Any immediate plans?
Hey Thankyou!!

I’ve bought her at such a busy time for me but I’m going to squeeze in the first over nighter next weekend, I’m beyond excited!
And then I have a few days off mid November so need to organise a 3 night trip

What adventures have you done this year so far?

Hey Thankyou!!

I’ve bought her at such a busy time for me but I’m going to squeeze in the first over nighter next weekend, I’m beyond excited!
And then I have a few days off mid November so need to organise a 3 night trip

What adventures have you done this year so far?
Excellent! Good to have something already planned!

So far we’ve just done 2-3 nights in various places - Dorset, Somerset, Devon, Gower etc.

However, heading off today for a 10 day trip down to Bordeaux and onto Hossegor for some surf. Enjoy next weekend.

Welcome to the club @Kimg. There is a weekend meet up happening in November if you wanted to meet with lots of other friendly owners and discuss tips, tricks and trips (and anything else).
It’s getting quite full but may still be some space, details can be found here if you’re interested:
It’s near Ringwood.

Keep your eye out for other events too, always a great weekend with the Cali Club!

Welcome!

Another vote for Dunelm small double sheet. If you plan to sleep mainly in the pop top you might want to consider a topper of sorts - it looks like you have a T6 (as do I) which doesn’t have the frolli springs but uses wooden slats instead which aren’t quite as comfy. I don’t have any experience with the highly rated Duvalay so can’t comment but I replaced the stock mattress with a Sea to Summit self inflating mat which when fully deflated stores flat in the roof so takes up no precious space in the living area. Using a small battery pump you can inflate/deflate it in a minute or so. Being foam with inflatable chambers you can tailor how firm you want it, I find it so much more comfy that the standard mattress. They also fit perfectly on the downstairs bed if needed in bad weather or going 'stealth'.

You might be fine with the standard mattress and duvet/sleeping bag, you’ll soon work that out after your first couple of nights. If not then the S2S and Duvalays quite often appear for sale on the forum which can save a bit of money. If you’re anything like me you’ll soon be spending plenty kitting the van out!

Enjoy.

:welcome
People generally use a single duvet cover and put the mattress inside.
I hadn't thought of that, I'll have to give it a try. Right now I just use a fitted sheet that doesn't quite fit but I find ok.

Hey Chris…
Thanks for the msg!
Are there many other solo travellers going do you know?
Yes there are others, it’s a great sociable group so you wouldn’t feel the “odd one out” I can assure you.

Welcome to the forum! As you’re finding, it’s a good place to pick people’s brains, and get quick answers.

Another vote for Dunelm small double - upstairs and downstairs. Even if you only ever sleep upstairs it’s worth covering the downstairs ‘comfort mattress’ to keep it looking good.

As you’ll see above, owners have different ideas about bed comfort and added accessories. We used ours as delivered for a few trips before then trying options out.

Enjoy your new toy!

Hi Kim and welcome! Some lovely as well as knowledgeable peeps hereabouts, as you are already seeing. Also a +1 from me for a single _70cms) Duvalay with the double duvet - sooo comfortable for use either up or down. Up is best with the Frolie plastic support, but as others have said downstairs when windy or too cold / rainy etc.

When you get a sec, we'd love to see some more van picks.