Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali T6

jason.oneill4

jason.oneill4

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hello folks...

I have been using the forum for some months now for getting very useful information and tips - thanks to everyone for your contributions! We've been in the process of ordering since early 2015. We ordered in Sept 2015 when VW opened the order book in Ireland and had a 12 week wait (which flew in...).

This is my first post of our new and first Cali (2 weeks old). I'm looking forward to adding to the forum (from an Irish perspective). The video is self explanatory for what we got... Things you can't see: we also got the Dynaudio system fitted. It is excellent...

High points so far: Its just a great piece of kit really and we're still getting used to it.
We already had one sleep over in it - very comfortable! We attended a 10 mile charity run 200km from home and the Cali came in very handy for keeping warm on a very cold day, changing into / out of running gear, eating, relaxing etc.

Low points: I dinged it already...:headbang

Jason

So good that you captured that moment of it coming out of the showroom - can only imagine how good that's gonna feel!

What a great looking vehicle - can just about make out the extra speaker in the centre of the dash too.

Any experience using the roof box yet? Is it manageable for getting things in and out? We're contemplating options for extra storage with a toddler in tow.

Niceone , the wait is over.......good times ahead:thumb

Hi Jason, welcome to the forum and congratulations on becoming Cali parents! I'm glad to hear you are making good use of her already but sorry about your ding. However, don't let it spoil your enjoyment - I remember reading something on here once about someone who bought new so that all the little dings and bumps would be their own, not someone else's, and would be part of the memories they built together :happy

So good that you captured that moment of it coming out of the showroom - can only imagine how good that's gonna feel!

What a great looking vehicle - can just about make out the extra speaker in the centre of the dash too.

Any experience using the roof box yet? Is it manageable for getting things in and out? We're contemplating options for extra storage with a toddler in tow.

Thanks for the feedback... much appreciated!

The roof box is very high up and I hadn't expected it to be up so high... I have played around with how to access it (which is an issue to be honest). Access from the Cali door step just doesn't work and you will need a ladder. I had a brain-wave (first one this year) and bought a half price attic ladder for €26 and cut it to size (attic ladders are narrow/small and very light). After playing around with it I eventually settled on 4 rungs high (i'm 6ft tall). I can now easily access the box and the ladder fits in the 'boot' space without taking up too much room (which was also an issue...) We'll definitely need/use the box however so it was worth getting/doing. J.

Try those ladders that slide in and pull back out, don't know the exact words in Englisch
Guess thats why you do not see many roofbox on Cali's ....more on towbars and bikerack

Hi Jason, welcome to the forum and congratulations on becoming Cali parents! I'm glad to hear you are making good use of her already but sorry about your ding. However, don't let it spoil your enjoyment - I remember reading something on here once about someone who bought new so that all the little dings and bumps would be their own, not someone else's, and would be part of the memories they built together :happy

Thanks Maud - Agreed and i'm glad the first one is out of the way. My wife laughed and is happy it was me also and not her... J.

Try those ladders that slide in and pull back out, don't know the exact words in Englisch
Guess thats why you do not see many roofbox on Cali's ....more on towbars and bikerack

Thanks HC. I was looking for one of those telescopic ladders but they are approx €200 in B&Q and I'm on a spending embargo for the next 5yrs until I pay off the Cali (wife orders) - :). I might pick up a secondhand one eventually but the cut down ladder will do for now. I didn't think we use the roof box to be honest but as a lot of space in the Cali is given over to the living space; we'll be glad of the box. Its also somewhere to keep the smelly socks, sports-gear too... J.

Telescopic ladder ....you could even store it in your roofbox...or maybe not...
Here in Belgium you see them pop up in Lidl and Aldi at cheap price.
Buy one and tell your wife it came as original part , she might belive:D

i can only dream of that moment, but I have waited 15 years so a few more months will not hurt

if you don't mind me asking what size roof box did you order

if you don't mind me asking what size roof box did you order

Hi Andie - don't mind all and thanks for the message...

I had asked for the largest box possible as there is a limit set by VW. We have a Thule Motion XL and I think its approx 400L capacity. I'll see if I can get an exact number and update you. The max load is 50kg inc. the box and load.

Hope this is of help?

J.

Very nice indeed! A classy combo!

Very nice, I love the color too, same as I ordered. A small movie shot with iphone captures the moment like no still images.

Thanks HC. I was looking for one of those telescopic ladders but they are approx €200 in B&Q and I'm on a spending embargo for the next 5yrs until I pay off the Cali (wife orders) - :). I might pick up a secondhand one eventually but the cut down ladder will do for now. I didn't think we use the roof box to be honest but as a lot of space in the Cali is given over to the living space; we'll be glad of the box. Its also somewhere to keep the smelly socks, sports-gear too... J.

Cali looks great! :thumb
Ours is coming early March and we're looking at the roof box option. Guessing it's just a lean the ladder against the side of the Cali with a towel or something to stop it scratching?

Cali looks great! :thumb
Ours is coming early March and we're looking at the roof box option. Guessing it's just a lean the ladder against the side of the Cali with a towel or something to stop it scratching?

Hi Chucky (hope I got that right?); I covered it in water pipe insulation which is spongy and protects the van and wrapped that in insulation tape to make it a bit tougher to wear. As I'm quite heavy I'll still need a towel (or go on a diet?). I might take a snap of it and post that too as the roof box use/question seems topical. J.

Very nice, I love the color too, same as I ordered. A small movie shot with iphone captures the moment like no still images.

Thanks Kave. Its definitely worth the wait (and the investment). My wife picked the colour - she's the one with all the taste I'm afraid. I wanted black originally but I'm glad I listened to her (she's right yet again). She also had the idea for the video - it was an inspired idea and will be great to look back on in future years...

Best of luck with your Cali!
J.

Hi Jason, it looks lovely!

I've got an Indium Beach on order and have been looking for some black side bars to go on it, could you tell me what make your ones are, and would you have any other photos of them? They seem just what I'm looking for!

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Jason, it looks lovely!

I've got an Indium Beach on order and have been looking for some black side bars to go on it, could you tell me what make your ones are, and would you have any other photos of them? They seem just what I'm looking for!

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark - it is a lovely colour and looks great in reality!

I saw the bars online and sent the attached image to the VW sales guys when I was ordering the extras - they are exactly the same. They were fitted when I picked up the Cali. I will ask VW for the name of the company that fitted them (as it wasn't done by VW). As I'm Dublin based - you may just wish to email them? I'll contact Ger in VW Frank Keane (Liffey Valley) to see if I can get some info for you...

I'll be back... J.

Side bar.jpg

Cheers Jason, are the brackets at the end of your bars the same? I'm sure I've seen them on eBay so will probably order those as they look great on your Cali!

Hi Mark - it is a lovely colour and looks great in reality!

I saw the bars online and sent the attached image to the VW sales guys when I was ordering the extras - they are exactly the same. They were fitted when I picked up the Cali. I will ask VW for the name of the company that fitted them (as it wasn't done by VW). As I'm Dublin based - you may just wish to email them? I'll contact Ger in VW Frank Keane (Liffey Valley) to see if I can get some info for you...

I'll be back... J.

View attachment 11833

Mark, just getting back on the side bars. Apparently they are VW originals fitted by VW when being prepped in Dublin showroom. I'm assuming you can get them from your local VW guy.... Hope this is of help? All the best. J.

Cheers Jason, are the brackets at the end of your bars the same? I'm sure I've seen them on eBay so will probably order those as they look great on your Cali!

Hi 2haw, thanks for the feedback. We're very happy with the finished 'looks'. I'm not sure which brackets - the bike rack maybe? All the 'extras' were fit by VW in Dublin. Let me know if I'm right or if you possibly meant something different? I've no doubt everything is available on eBay... Cheers! J.

Great video. We've ordered indium grey as well and you've put my mind at rest that it was a good choice. Looks amazing! Ours is being built this week (hopefully)

Great video. We've ordered indium grey as well and you've put my mind at rest that it was a good choice. Looks amazing! Ours is being built this week (hopefully)
Thanks Dan - thats great to read and I think all Cali's in 2016 may end up being Indium Grey!!! ;) Only a few more weeks to wait; it will be well worth it!

Back