Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New california on order,HOW LONG

It has been a long 296 days so far, 11 more days to go. The closer it gets, the slower time appears to move.
I can understand that! 307 days is a long time. I do hope its all that you wish for and more when it finally arrives. Fingers crossed for you.

Ordered Sept '16, given build as Week 50 which didn't happen, told week 51, checked week 3 and then told being built week 4, week 4 told in production.
Week 6 - waiting shipment. Should be at dealer week 7, but not confirmed.
Confirmation Of Registration form received showing reg. no and dated as 1/3/17 so no problems with VED. This came early week 6, before vehicle at Dealers.
204ps 4M DSG. Ocean

Ordered Sept '16, given build as Week 50 which didn't happen, told week 51, checked week 3 and then told being built week 4, week 4 told in production.
Week 6 - waiting shipment. Should be at dealer week 7, but not confirmed.
Confirmation Of Registration form received showing reg. no and dated as 1/3/17 so no problems with VED. This came early week 6, before vehicle at Dealers.
204ps 4M DSG. Ocean
Excellent........All things come to those who wait (Pity there seems no logic to how long that wait is!!)

I have a manual Ocean on order via Benfield ordered in October supposed to be built next week.
I received a call from the dealership this week stating that there is a problem with the manual box and the 204 4 motion they offered a down grade of the engine to 150 psi or a free upgrade to a DSG box.
Took the DSG box option but the dealer was unsure what effect this would have any effect on the build slot.
Looking at the Transporter range & the 204 engine with a manual box seems to only be listed on the T32 (heavy weight van) so no base vehicle available to convert to a California.

I called VW dealer this am, mentioned forum talk of 204 manual issues. He spoke with VWCS, called me back and said "don't worry, it only affects manual 204's, not DSG's, so you're okay." I pointed out to him that I ordered a manual. He said "it shows as DSG on the VW order". I asked him to check. It turns out VW had 'awarded' me a free of charge upgrade to DSG due to issues with manual gearboxes. Without mentioning it to me! Maybe VW go by the beggars not being choosers belief. Anyway, thought it churlish to refuse free DSG upgrade and he tells me it went confirmed this morning due to the change of 'box - was unconfirmed week 17, but VW told dealer they were trying to get vehicles to U.K. customers before VED change, and I should get delivery in March.
Here's hoping...

I called VW dealer this am, mentioned forum talk of 204 manual issues. He spoke with VWCS, called me back and said "don't worry, it only affects manual 204's, not DSG's, so you're okay." I pointed out to him that I ordered a manual. He said "it shows as DSG on the VW order". I asked him to check. It turns out VW had 'awarded' me a free of charge upgrade to DSG due to issues with manual gearboxes. Without mentioning it to me! Maybe VW go by the beggars not being choosers belief. Anyway, thought it churlish to refuse free DSG upgrade and he tells me it went confirmed this morning due to the change of 'box - was unconfirmed week 17, but VW told dealer they were trying to get vehicles to U.K. customers before VED change, and I should get delivery in March.
Here's hoping...
The California is made for the DSG. You'll enjoy it and you can play with the Sport and Manual modes. Don't get those on the Manual box nor Coast function.

The California is made for the DSG. You'll enjoy it and you can play with the Sport and Manual modes. Don't get those on the Manual box nor Coast function.

Thanks WG. I'm sure it will turn out to be a good thing. I was able to upgrade to 4motion at pre-increase prices, so I went for that as well. All change.

Thanks WG. I'm sure it will turn out to be a good thing. I was able to upgrade to 4motion at pre-increase prices, so I went for that as well. All change.
:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

:help
Hi all from Newcastle upon tyne, I ordered my new California ocean, 204 manual box with extras the first week in Feb 2016 and was told I could expect to get it in August.I received a phone call yesterday saying that it wont come until December because of problems at the factory.is anyone having the same problems or is it just my dealer.
Many thanks, RAY.
You've got me worried. I've just ordered from Benfield (now Lookers) and have been quoted June delivery wanting for school holidays.

You've got me worried. I've just ordered from Benfield (now Lookers) and have been quoted June delivery wanting for school holidays.

You mean summer 2018 right?

If you ordered now you are looking at six months minimum. When we ordered ours we were promised 5 months, that turned into 7 months, then finally picked it up at 11 months.

I think the dealers give unrealistic delivery dates to stop us walking out the showroom.

I'd say fingers crossed but don't get your hopes up. We ordered during Feb half term last year for a projected June/July delivery and ended up collecting in November.

It was looking good for quite a while but as soon as the MY change hit it slipped by months.

I think the best thing to do would be to budget for and book an unrelated summer holiday to look forward to and if the Cali arrives too then it's a bonus. I have to admit to finding summer a bit underwhelming last year having not made any decent alternative plans

Here's hoping...
Did VW say what the "issue" was with the manual boxes?

There is a case for buying machinery that already exists, rather than that which has to be built and will be delivered at some unknown point in the future: meaning a pre-owned vehicle. You can see it, kick the tyres, it probably will have been pampered, post- forecourt depreciation has been suffered by another. Post delivery early life failure is prevalent in new machinery. New is unreliable. With pre-owned, a lot of these failures will hopefully have been sorted out. Well it's a point of view, we'll see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Did VW say what the "issue" was with the manual boxes?
No, they did not. I was talking to someone at the NEC yesterday who hinted there may be an issue with the manual gearbox not being up to the job on the 204 engine, but nothing confirmed by VW. Does seem strange that they've removed them from the configurator, though.

No, they did not. I was talking to someone at the NEC yesterday who hinted there may be an issue with the manual gearbox not being up to the job on the 204 engine, but nothing confirmed by VW. Does seem strange that they've removed them from the configurator, though.
Thanks for confirming. I'm interested because mine is manual 204 so if there is a potential gearbox problem I'd like to know now. Will call VWCS on Monday.
Interestingly you can still order the combination on the T30 and 32 vans!

Thanks for confirming. I'm interested because mine is manual 204 so if there is a potential gearbox problem I'd like to know now. Will call VWCS on Monday.
Interestingly you can still order the combination on the T30 and 32 vans!
Not sure if you've seen the posts but some have been switched to a free DSG. Not sure if this is something you would want.

Mike

Not sure if you've seen the posts but some have been switched to a free DSG. Not sure if this is something you would want.

Mike
Sorry think I have confused the issue here. I've had mine since Oct 16, but am concerned that the gearbox will be a possible future problem, so would like to know why it's been withdrawn.

Sorry think I have confused the issue here. I've had mine since Oct 16, but am concerned that the gearbox will be a possible future problem, so would like to know why it's been withdrawn.
Got you. Yep worth a call to the dealer. Hopefully just a shortage.

Mike

Apologies for dragging up an old post, but what was the conclusion in regard to the 204 manual box? I ask because I’ve seen one second hand and I don’t want to buy if there is an issue!

Dealer said it was just the UK that you could no longer order that combination, so quite rare in the UK now.
We love ours especially in the snow!

Dealer said it was just the UK that you could no longer order that combination, so quite rare in the UK now.
We love ours especially in the snow!
Thanks for the reply, I think as I haven’t seen that many for sale, or much written about them, it had me a bit concerned so it’s good to hear from a satisfied owner.

I had guessed it is just the Cali where the 204ps manual was no longer available as I believe that the T6 transporter is still available in that configuration.

Back