Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New California ordered but wrong spec delivered, what are my options?

M

mikewbateman

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach Tourer 150
I ordered a new California Beach Camper in April 2024, taking advantage of the 5 year 0% finance offer before manufacture of the T6.1 ends. Unfortunately when it arrived at my dealership the spec is wrong - Tour not Camper (!), no nav upgrade, no auxiliary heater, no towbar. I understand my options at this point would ordinarily be (1) reject it and get a refund, or (2) wait for a replacement vehicle of the correct spec. But of course manufacture of the T6.1 has now finished and no new orders can be placed. So I feel like I'm trapped - this vehicle isn't right (at a fundamental level - Tour not Camper) but I don't want to walk away because I won't be able to afford an alternative vehicle elsewhere without the 0% finance deal. Any thoughts or comments welcome...

So sorry to read this mate, really sucks. Am pretty sure the Tour costs quite a bit more in tax than the camper version due to its classification as a car rather than a motorhome. I’d also worry about the residuals on the Tour due to the above and them being less desirable generally. It’s their mistake and both of the above will ultimately hit your pocket. Regrettably I’d walk away, though of course easy for me to say.

Yes, unfortunately this seems like one to walk away from. It is too far off spec. to accept.

Have you asked the dealer what your options are, some appear to be stockpiling vans so ther may be one out there in the system that could be diverted your way.
This is what I would investigate before making any rash decisions. I was in exactly your position 2 years ago when VW delivered my Coast with the 150PS engine rather than the 204 I ordered. Luckily the dealer could assign another slot for a rebuild which I got 8 months later. Your situation is different for the reason you say but the T6.1 production line is still in operation and you may be lucky if you move quick and get the dealer to call in a few favours.
I know how bad you must be feeling, but good luck.

Definitely check with the dealer if they can find you something from stock. Who made this mistake? Not sure how can someone put wrong order like this: different model and spec. Maybe they missed deadline to put an order at all and now offering something different?

Yes the way I see it walk away, unless they can come up with a reasonable offer that you can agree on, this would be getting an order in as there are many around stock piled for sure. And I would insist in knowing where it has gone wrong, when configuring a vehicle there is a code generated and this code is how the vehicle is build, no mistakes. So basically you need to know who and where they have gone wrong and claim and get your money’s worth.

I ordered a new California Beach Camper in April 2024, taking advantage of the 5 year 0% finance offer before manufacture of the T6.1 ends. Unfortunately when it arrived at my dealership the spec is wrong - Tour not Camper (!), no nav upgrade, no auxiliary heater, no towbar. I understand my options at this point would ordinarily be (1) reject it and get a refund, or (2) wait for a replacement vehicle of the correct spec. But of course manufacture of the T6.1 has now finished and no new orders can be placed. So I feel like I'm trapped - this vehicle isn't right (at a fundamental level - Tour not Camper) but I don't want to walk away because I won't be able to afford an alternative vehicle elsewhere without the 0% finance deal. Any thoughts or comments welcome...
Walk away and ask VW about compensating you, or finding a vehicle from stock which they definitely have.

I would reject and hope they have something in stock that fits the bill. The Beach camper is a great vehicle so fingers crossed you get what you ordered or at least as close to what you ordered.

That is an almighty cock up, I’ve heard of factory orders being delivered with the odd wrong spec or even colour but the wrong vehicle completely? My bet is the order was wrong.

You deserve compensating too!

I would ask the dealer to find you a suitable alternative vehicle from either their incoming stock or another dealer’s incoming stock (they can see other dealer’s stock). Maybe even a cancelled order somewhere. Get them to ask VW to help if needed. I’ve just been through this and managed to find 3 suitable vehicles - one of which I now have on my driveway.
Not sure how many stock Beach Campers would be available compared with Ocean or Surf models though - maybe they might suit your needs?
Be flexible on colour and spec - I doubt an exact model spec can be found.
If they find a lower spec vehicle or same spec in different colour that you’d accept, take it with some suitable compensation.
If they find a higher spec vehicle that suits you, take it - but insist you won’t pay any more for it. After all, this isn’t your fault.
If any of these options don’t yield a suitable solution then reject it along with some compensation.
Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

I wouldn't reject immediately because that might be what the dealer wants if they screwed up the order.

Have you seen the order placed by the dealer to VW?

I would also make a call and email to the VW Executive office and state the situation. I'd explain carefully to VW that just how much this mess up is likely to cost without the 5 year deals and say you want some cost free options but you won't be collecting this vehicle until it's all sorted out.

Which dealer is it?

yes, 0% deal is back and not just at Poole.

From what I can see on drivethedeal (which also has 0% deal), the prices are a bit higher than before the deal but if you think about what the 0% financing saves you, it amounts to a substantial price drop over the prices last week. E.g. I could get a new Ocean last week for 66k-68k, now it's more like 69k-70k but with financing that saves about 8k of interest over 5 years (depending on your interest rate, or expected rate of return if you were to pay cash and invest the money instead).

Be flexible on colour and spec - I doubt an exact model spec can be found.

No need to be flexible on spec. Just keep your money until the van you want becomes available. Even worth considering 2nd hand then someone else will have covered the depreciation hit as soon as leaves the forecourt…and you will have the older style roof fabric which will make it easier to sell on a future date.

No need to be flexible on spec. Just keep your money until the van you want becomes available. Even worth considering 2nd hand then someone else will have covered the depreciation hit as soon as leaves the forecourt…and you will have the older style roof fabric which will make it easier to sell on a future date.
But OP already mentioned that without the new vehicle 0% finance he can’t do it. A used vehicle with interest bearing finance is likely to cost the same overall, if not more.

Thanks for all the input folks, I hadn't expected such a response and there are some really valuable comments here. I went to the dealership today and rejected the vehicle that has been made (on arrival it was even a different colour!). It looks as though the wrong order code had been sent to VW in Germany so it was a mis-order rather than a mis-build. Dealership deeply apologetic and rang VW to see if there were any Beach Campers out there with our spec - there was something close, but lacking art velours seats, heated windscreen, fog lights, extra fuel tank & towbar. This felt like too much of a compromise so I declined, much to their disappointment. So now options are a full refund or wait for the T7 orders to open and they will "see what we can do to look after me" (at one point mentioned doing one at cost value) when it comes to ordering one of those. Details of this all a bit unknown for now and unsure if 0% finance will be possible so this might end up costly. So now trying to do my own research into what is out there from other dealers. It seems the 0% finance is back on and they are throwing a free bike rack into the mix as well...

Back