Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California delivered ... in the wrong colour

calibusje

calibusje

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hellow everyone reading this. Here it comes: we ordered a coast at the end of August 2020 with estimated delivery in May 2021. Delivery was a little earlier, namely last Monday, March 22nd. Nice, I thought when I got the news. However, when checking the invoice that I received via email, I noticed the colour ... cherry red.
Very nice colour and our initial choice but we had changed it (along with some extra options) to ascot grey. When I asked for a new order form to sign with the change, this was not necessary, according to the seller. Everything was passed on according to him. The options are present but the color was 'forgotten'. Hence an order form and an invoice with a red coast on it but with the options included afterwards.
What now, do you think. Yesterday we went to have a look: the cherry red is beautiful, quite exclusive but very 'in your face'; we had expected this, hence our change of colour. Our options, offered by the dealer:
-accept the red one and receive a 'black pack' as compensation (see picture belowe of his own company car, an ocean);
-fully adapt a coast ordered by them but not yet made to our liking (also the colour);
-cancel and return the deposit.
The last option is a no go because then we have no california coast unless we order later a new one but what's the point in that (now about one year waiting time and it will be more expensive).
Option two: having a stock vehicle adjusted before it even being made sounds attractive, but will that run smoothly? They couldn't pass on the changed colour ... For this option I also don't have much time to pass it on: the modified 'stock car' would be delivered at the end of June but I have to be quick. If it work, we have our ascot grey.
Then accept the red one? The last 8 years when we traveled with our T4 westfalia, we always said that if we could buy a new one, a red one was definitely possible because when we saw a red california, we liked it very much. As a campervan I still think this but maybe not as an everyday vehicle (it will be my daily car too). Each to his own choise.
They try to fix the error and that's okay but still i'm slightly disappointed. I know it's a luxury issue but still. I just wanted to get it off my chest and read your thoughts about it.

Good evening
Greetings
Calibusje
Belgium

164569725_4044204378935789_769027241328481647_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like the dealer is playing with a straight bat; annoying but mistakes do happen, it’s how they are dealt with that matters. Still annoying for you though.
I reckon that red with the ‘black pack’ looks great, and it sounds like you’re torn between red and grey anyway. I would go that way for sure, and maybe push for a bike rack or something on top. It’ll bring a smile to your face every time you look at it, great looking van.

This is s very subjective view.
Me? I would accept the red with the black pack. Looks cool to me, but as I said it is subjective.
(I think it's also the least grief to a solution.)
Just my opinion.

Sounds like the dealer is playing with a straight bat; annoying but mistakes do happen, it’s how they are dealt with that matters. Still annoying for you though.
I reckon that red with the ‘black pack’ looks great, and it sounds like you’re torn between red and grey anyway. I would go that way for sure, and maybe push for a bike rack or something on top. It’ll bring a smile to your face every time you look at it, great looking van.
Thanks for the response. Yes, he is and if we opt for the adapted stock car, and the delivery is not before the beginning of july, we will receive a California rental to travel, free of charge for three weeks. And you are right: I am a bit torn between red and grey but ascot grey is a great colour.... saw 3 new in ascot grey yet to be delivered to the customer.
a bike rack I already got on top when ordering ;)

This is s very subjective view.
Me? I would accept the red with the black pack. Looks cool to me, but as I said it is subjective.
(I think it's also the least grief to a solution.)
Just my opinion.
Thanks for your reaction; you are right: it is very subjective but I read so much subjective posts, I thought I'll write it down; I just wanted to get it off my chest and read the reactions.
The red one does look cool.

Hoi Calibusje, always double feeling with Raes as you know... but I don't see the use as daily driver as a "no go" for red. I think the cherry red is a lovely colour and eyecather (my techno blue is also a daily driver :cool: ). I would push a little bit e.g. carpetset, bags, screen, towelrack, multibox,.... whatever, as I did when they blew my gearbox job. Now that the car is there, would be very tempted to accept as probably you will have to wait another few months for the other solutions!

I've not been a huge fan of the cherry red but the photo above with the black pack looks gorgeous. I

I'd get them to do the B-pillars and wing mirrors in black and if your rack was silver, I'd also get them to change it to the black option too.

Cherry red:sports pack.png
... and maybe those black sidebars as suggested by @soulstyledevon . Very nice!

Hoi Calibusje, always double feeling with Raes as you know... but I don't see the use as daily driver as a "no go" for red. I think the cherry red is a lovely colour and eyecather (my techno blue is also a daily driver :cool: ). I would push a little bit e.g. carpetset, bags, screen, towelrack, multibox,.... whatever, as I did when they blew my gearbox job. Now that the car is there, would be very tempted to accept as probably you will have to wait another few months for the other solutions!
Hello, thanks for your reaction. Yes, the delivery for an other one, specified as we ordered and in ascot grey, would be end of June, they say. I don't really mind waiting, after 8 months, what are 3 more months? ;)
I think they are doing their best to make up for the mistake (according to them it happened at importer D'Ieteren in Brussels).
The 'black pack' is almost 2.000 euro worth...
I like it more a little toned down for me and I find the ascot grey really chic. I've seen some and I really like it. The cherry red is rather sporty and not really me, I guess.
Greetings

...got to go with what you love and the colour that makes you smile ;)

I would stick with the Red. I not normally a fan of Red, but looks very smart with the black trim.

Obviously get them to throw in as many extras as they can as compensation.

I'd grab the red.

It's easy to fall out of love with something just because 'you can'. The red is striking and gorgeous, and the black pack is absolutely lovely.

The Ascot Grey? I'm sure it would look great, and far more subtle - but it'll be a grey van - not a 'pop - Hi - I'm a Camper'.

Again, this coming from a pearl black van, where i'd be quite happy with a bit of colour in our lives :D

Oh no! I love that you are not fuming mad which is to your credit.

If i were you i'd take the red. It's a really nice colour. We have a white coast and i think in retrospect i would have preferred ascot grey as well but it really doesn't deter from enjoyment of the vehicle.

Also with the black pack it looks proper Gangsta! DO IT!

The red looks fab.

Grey is very on-trend at the moment but in a couple of years or so will look dated.

Well, you did ask.
this is a very good comment, thank you and I'm going to think about it. You could be right ...

Red is a pretty marmite colour, personally I couldn't live with the red as an every day car and the colour wasn't even a top 3 for me.. but you nearly chose red so maybe you could ? If not go for the adjusted stock arriving in June, just make sure you have it on paper what the new spec is !

I'd grab the red.

It's easy to fall out of love with something just because 'you can'. The red is striking and gorgeous, and the black pack is absolutely lovely.

The Ascot Grey? I'm sure it would look great, and far more subtle - but it'll be a grey van - not a 'pop - Hi - I'm a Camper'.

Again, this coming from a pearl black van, where i'd be quite happy with a bit of colour in our lives :D
Thank you for your reaction and very true: the red one really is: Hi, I'm here :)

Red is a pretty marmite colour, personally I couldn't live with the red as an every day car and the colour wasn't even a top 3 for me.. but you nearly chose red so maybe you could ? If not go for the adjusted stock arriving in June, just make sure you have it on paper what the new spec is !
Thank ou and very true! If we choose the 'stock one' I must have it on paper and will sit next to him -according to the corona rules- when he put the order in the computer :)
Our top 3 was: cherry red and ascot grey and changed to ascot grey after a lot of thinking and also black (my spouse loves black and has had a black car for her every time).

Seriously though, and configurator photos aside, you have to love it. If you will forever think 'It's not the Ascot Grey', then it's not for you.

Sounds like you hang on to your vans, so it may be with you a long time. Good luck with your decision and don't forget the photos once you've collected your choice ;)

I’m not a fan of the red or Ascot grey... sorry to others... my advice would be, if you are really unhappy with the colour (as long as you have the change of order in writing) would be to reject the vehicle and keep it whilst awaiting the new one in correct colour.

Hellow everyone reading this. Here it comes: we ordered a coast at the end of August 2020 with estimated delivery in May 2021. Delivery was a little earlier, namely last Monday, March 22nd. Nice, I thought when I got the news. However, when checking the invoice that I received via email, I noticed the colour ... cherry red.
Very nice colour and our initial choice but we had changed it (along with some extra options) to ascot grey. When I asked for a new order form to sign with the change, this was not necessary, according to the seller. Everything was passed on according to him. The options are present but the color was 'forgotten'. Hence an order form and an invoice with a red coast on it but with the options included afterwards.
What now, do you think. Yesterday we went to have a look: the cherry red is beautiful, quite exclusive but very 'in your face'; we had expected this, hence our change of colour. Our options, offered by the dealer:
-accept the red one and receive a 'black pack' as compensation (see picture belowe of his own company car, an ocean);
-fully adapt a coast ordered by them but not yet made to our liking (also the colour);
-cancel and return the deposit.
The last option is a no go because then we have no california coast unless we order later a new one but what's the point in that (now about one year waiting time and it will be more expensive).
Option two: having a stock vehicle adjusted before it even being made sounds attractive, but will that run smoothly? They couldn't pass on the changed colour ... For this option I also don't have much time to pass it on: the modified 'stock car' would be delivered at the end of June but I have to be quick. If it work, we have our ascot grey.
Then accept the red one? The last 8 years when we traveled with our T4 westfalia, we always said that if we could buy a new one, a red one was definitely possible because when we saw a red california, we liked it very much. As a campervan I still think this but maybe not as an everyday vehicle (it will be my daily car too). Each to his own choise.
They try to fix the error and that's okay but still i'm slightly disappointed. I know it's a luxury issue but still. I just wanted to get it off my chest and I and read your thoughts about it.

Good evening
Greetings
Calibusje
Belgium

View attachment 75698
Red looks great on a camper. Ascot grey is understated and timeless though - the best current colour for me. What is in the Black Pack exactly (not available in the U.K. I don’t think, sounds a bit like our Sports Pack)?