Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New DVLA classification ?

• Thread starter Derrick’s dad
  • Start date
My 2019 Beach is registered as a Diesel Car (registered January 2019)
Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 16.07.42.png

Last edited:
I can't find the thread where @WelshGas suggested checking we were definitely insured with Safeguard due to the MPV classification issue (we have a 2019 Beach) but thought it might be useful info to others so am posting here!

I just called Safeguard to ask if they cover the Beach and the lady I spoke to said they do. I stressed that it is classified as an MPV on the V5 so can they definitely insure it and was told yes.
:thanks

This is happening on the Marco Polo Forum, although why no one is sure as it meets all the criteria set by DVLA as a Campervan, except for the Marco Polo Horizon which seems to be their equivalent of the Beach.

For those of you driving a Beach classified as Motor Caravan I would keep your heads down or you could find then re-classified as MPV or even Diesel Car resulting in extra tax and limitations on campsite access.

Surely MPV is the correct classification & gives a number of benefits:

Eurotunnel cheaper
Parking on Swanage seafront allowed
Able to use Rotherhithe tunes.
"normal" car insurance available.

Theres no extra tax so what are the downsides?

2017 204 Ocean V5 has Body Type as Motor Caravan; Taxation class Diesel Car

It seems that 2019 Oceans and Beaches are both classified as an MPV.
It is the Body Type that might be problematic.
Certain Insurance companies will Only insure Motor Caravans. Normal Car Insurance may not cover All the camping equipment carried. Some campsites can be problematic.

I’ve just taken out my new Beach insurance with Safeguard. The guy I spoke to today seemed to know what he was talking about.

It may affect speed limits too. If it’s not a motor caravan, it may be subject to speed limits applicable to vans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may affect speed limits too. If it’s not a motor caravan, it may be subject to speed limits applicable to

From the UK GOV website.

Vans, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles
Most vans have a lower speed limit than cars must follow the speed limits for goods vehicles of the same weight.

Vehicles under 2 tonnes laden (loaded) weight may qualify as a ‘car-derived van’ or ‘dual-purpose vehicle’. These vehicles have the same speed limits as cars.

Motorhomes
Motorhomes or motor caravans are classed as goods vehicles if they:
carry goods for exhibition and sale
are used as a workshop
are used for storage

No -- Beach has car speed limits not van speed limits -- it's an MPV / Diesel Car

The taxation class is Diesel Car.
The Body Type is MPV.

It satisfies the following conditions:

It’s not a motor caravan.
It’s over 2 tonnes.
It’s a dual purpose vehicle.

According to the UK GOV website, it appears that the lower speed limits apply.

It’s a grey area I think.

Not N1 commercial so lower speeds don’t apply.

A Motorhome used for storage is not N1 commercial either, yet according to the UK GOV website the lower speed limits apply.
It doesn’t seem to link the the speed limits with N1. It just talks about vans, motor homes and goods vehicles.

Has been discussed to death on the T6Forum as lots of members have converted vans.

Is a converted van subsequently registered as a motorcaravan then subject to the higher motorcaravan speed limits?

Is a converted van subsequently registered as a motorcaravan then subject to the higher motorcaravan speed limits?
Yes - but apparently it's still a goods vehicle for transit through the Rotherhithe Tunnel (I'm awaiting clarification from TfL on this point.)

Yes - but apparently it's still a goods vehicle for transit through the Rotherhithe Tunnel (I'm awaiting clarification from TfL on this point.)

In that case, it must be the Motorcaravan classification which determines the speed limit, not the N1.

The Beach and Ocean are not Motorcaravans on the V5 anymore.

Found this on a T4 forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhand
I have recently been caught doing 74mph in my T32 174 Combi on a dual carriageway.
I did know I was doing around 70mph and yes I got caught on camera at 74mph. I wrongly assumed that I could legally drive at 70 on a dual carriage way, therefore i also thought that there would be some consideration given to speedo accuracy, hence why you get the option of a speed awareness course if you are caught doing between 79-86 (for a limit of 70mph), in my case this was between 68-75 for a limit of 60 on a dual carriageway for a van. However, I did think there was some issue about the classification class, as in the vehicle category M1 or N1. My Combi is a 56 plate and is classed with an M1 vehicle class. So i decided to try this angle with Hampshire Police, but to no avail, see below for the response to my question of vehicle type. The details that DVLA provide includes the vehicle classification, which in the case of RF56 *** is a panel van side windows. This means it is classified as a goods vehicle which may have 2 or 3 additional seats. For the purposes of speed limits this means it is a goods vehicle under 7500 kg and has a speed restriction of 60 mph on dual carriageways and 50 mph on single carriageway roads unless a lower limit applies.

The M1 category to which you refer is a global standard of type approval and is not relevant for the purposes of speed limits in the UK. Your vehicle was registered as a Panel Van with Side windows and remains classified as such until this is changed by DVLA. I hope this helps clarify the matter.

Yes. Those converting say a Kombi that starts life as Taxation class N1 (light goods), apply to the DVLA to amend the Body type to MPV (Dual purpose vehicle or Motor Caravan) and then the higher speed applies.

There are as you mentioned, some exceptions like Motorhome used to carry good or exhibition equipment.
But for the purposes of the California Club where we all start life as M1 or Diesel Car, there is no issue over speed limits.

As this thread has evolved and collected some interesting differences in the use of body type, it would be good to create a chart for what Tax class and body type entitle or disqualifies you for...

Found this:

What are the speed limits for campervans?

There are only two manufacturer-built campervans sold in the UK: the VW California and the Mercedes V-Class Marco Polo. Both are legally allowed to drive as fast as a regular car.

Campervan speed limits - VW California

However, the two brands have gone about this in different ways. The California is classed as a 'motor caravan', while the Marco Polo is labelled an 'MPV'.

Where you do need to be wary is with third-party campervan conversions based on regular vans. Check that the V5C registration document has been changed to 'motor caravan', otherwise you'll be subject to the same speed restrictions as the van it's based on.

Back