Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New injector nozzles

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Long story short, had a set of new injector nozzles installed. Wow. I thought it was smooth and nice before. Deffo a fraction up on power and response, a big improvement on overall performance.
I guess it’s like eyesight/hearing. Slow almost imperceptible degradation until you address the issue. Van is like new!!

Also had a new N75 fitted after a few over boost/limp mode events.
I think a new turbo will pretty much bring it back to new. There’s bound to be some play in the VNT mechanism that’s loosing a bit of performance.

Deffo recommend the upgrade if you’ve got a few quid sloshing around?

Only 255k km on the clock.

Are they “project power nozzles” plus remap or standard new…?

Long story short, had a set of new injector nozzles installed. Wow. I thought it was smooth and nice before. Deffo a fraction up on power and response, a big improvement on overall performance.
I guess it’s like eyesight/hearing. Slow almost imperceptible degradation until you address the issue. Van is like new!!

Also had a new N75 fitted after a few over boost/limp mode events.
I think a new turbo will pretty much bring it back to new. There’s bound to be some play in the VNT mechanism that’s loosing a bit of performance.

Deffo recommend the upgrade if you’ve got a few quid sloshing around?

Only 255k km on the clock.
Glad it's running better, could you share the approx. cost?
Work carried out by VW or independent dealer?

Standard OEM replacement. Sourced from Germany.
Cost was £800 plus VAT plus £200 labour so not cheap.
Work done by top notch independent who looked after the vans for over 10 years.

I remember taking my 88bhp up to 140bhp.
It’s was fun but never ran as smooth as original. Those 2.5tdi engines were really good and reliable.

They’re a joy to drive. I think I’ll pop it on a dyno when the new turbo goes on just to see how close it is to the original (quoted) 111kw/150hp.

You have the 150…
Rare as rocking horse over here.
Very nice :thumb

Hey @sidepod, if you do dyno. Post the results, would be interesting to see what a 20ish year old motor can still do.

Here is a printout of my dyno run a few years ago. It made good power. Everything standard spec.

Regards Padraic.A27C2F5C-78E9-4F01-B6B0-CA1A41C4665E.jpeg

Sweet. Nice torque curve. I was wondering what the delta would be between crank and wheel power. What was the km/mileage reading?
Collecting the van today with new turbo fitted.
Should be interesting to strip and inspect the old one.
I’ll organise a dyno run.

Sweet. Nice torque curve. I was wondering what the delta would be between crank and wheel power. What was the km/mileage reading?
Collecting the van today with new turbo fitted.
Should be interesting to strip and inspect the old one.
I’ll organise a dyno run.
I’m not 100% sure what the mileage was at that time, but close to 200,000 Kms.

Impressive. Does it smoke at all?

Big difference between the two dyno graphs/companies above. 17hp difference between engine/wheel power correlation, which to my mind means the total figures quoted could be out by just as much? They have no way of measuring crank power so the delta to wheel power they quote must be based on something, surely it should be the same given they are the same vehicles. Anyway all good stuff.

Just picked up mine. Noticeable difference with the new turbo. Not massive, just a bit smoother and really pulls hard all the way to the top. Started from cold and no more puff of smoke on start up, which is nice. (this I'd put down to a very tiny weep of oil from the turbo bearings into the compressor housing which gets blown into the engine on start up).

Ok so here’s a couple of photos of the turbo that came off.
253k km (158k miles) so not a lot at all.
There is a very slight amount of play in the shaft, certainly within tolerance but enough to allow that small amount of oil to pass the bearings and into the compressor housing (oily finger!) Many moons ago I worked for Holset turbos in Huddersfield and I do recall machining tolerance on shafts were tightly controlled.

A reasonable build up of carbon on the exhaust impeller so reasonable to assume similar in and around the variable vanes.

Pushing the VNT actuator (the bit that’s controlled by the N75) feels notchy with more resistance than there should be.
The carbon build up could have been accelerated by the worn injectors over fueling. Also I have no idea what the driving profile of the previous owner was for the first 100k miles.

Anyway enough evidence to confirm this was what was causing the last bit of my limp mode issues.

The van was perfectly usable but I’m happy I replaced it.

All this of course on a non-DPF van. It would be an interesting comparison to see a similar mileage unit from a more modern restricted model.

B4F979CC-E97D-4636-8CAD-D0F7D727E99E.jpeg65085B8D-16BC-475E-A6F0-0F83AFDB8129.jpegD632216D-9907-4CB1-942D-ECAA25597AFF.jpeg98A1A42E-2C26-4E68-AD4F-6E5ECF32D49D.jpeg

This is basically what I believe is going on in my old turbo. Maybe not as bad but the same issue.
I’ll strip mine and investigate.

Back