Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Member Introduction - what should I buy?

YorkieAli@Cali

YorkieAli@Cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi everyone, newbie post here from Reading UK. After loads of reading and watching online reviews I jumped in and ordered a new Cali last October. Given a due date of September 2023 I wasn’t expecting the call, which I just received, with the VW dealership informing me that it is on its way and delivery is expected later this month (early March for a new registration which would be nice but apparently I may not have a choice!!) So my question for you all is, what do I need to order in readiness for my new campervan? In case you are interested, it’s a 2-tone silver/blue (I haven’t seen this colour yet so if you have reflex silver and starlight blue it would be great to see a pic) and I went for the 2WD 204psi model. Cheers, Dean

The only thing you need to buy is diesel !

best advice I can give you is get the van, try it out on several trips, then when you have tried & considered how you use the van in a real life situation then buy the thing that will improve how you use the van.

Welcome and def be nice to see a Pic...Ive got Starlight blue but I think the combo two tone with Silver will look great. If its due in the dealer March, and I'm presuming Reading Dealer - I bought there too, basically you will need to buy before end of the month which is a VW requirement (I checked with customer services UK), If you don't buy it they will and register as a demo otherwise it is a £5000 fine for the dealer...its all cut and thrust out there...so start planning how to afford if this time slot wasn't expected?
Once you have got it it will be worth it and you will have the spring and summer to use that 23 plate van :)

If you do a search there was a great thread a while back that we all contributed to with our "perfect" list.

Reality - you need to make your own perfect list :)

The only thing you need to buy is diesel !

best advice I can give you is get the van, try it out on several trips, then when you have tried & considered how you use the van in a real life situation then buy the thing that will improve how you use the van.
Each to their own, we bought very little to start with, a hook up cable was basically it. We have, after 4 years, added a Cadac BBQ, Floor mats for outside, a telescopic hose for filling up the water tank, Rubber mats for the front, and a ladder to ease getting up to the upstairs Bed, we are still using some of our much older Camping kit , mainly cooking gear. Things we might add are a thermal cover for the front windscreen and a fitted system for the rear storage, but it's not certain we will go with them. Awnings and extension tent is something we don't have as it doesn't suit how we have used the van at present.

The list is very subjective and in truth is never ending, some of which you’ll find absolutely essential and some will never be used. So have a couple of trips and find out what is essential for you.
We on this forum love ‘sharing’ so welcome and enjoy the adventure.
I would however say :
1) A hook up cable ( forum shop)
2) A spare wheel safelock ( forum shop)
3) Camping gaz bottle
4) Collapsable kettle
5) Collapsable basin

See… I couldn’t help myself, but I’ll stop now lol

Hi everyone, newbie post here from Reading UK. After loads of reading and watching online reviews I jumped in and ordered a new Cali last October. Given a due date of September 2023 I wasn’t expecting the call, which I just received, with the VW dealership informing me that it is on its way and delivery is expected later this month (early March for a new registration which would be nice but apparently I may not have a choice!!) So my question for you all is, what do I need to order in readiness for my new campervan? In case you are interested, it’s a 2-tone silver/blue (I haven’t seen this colour yet so if you have reflex silver and starlight blue it would be great to see a pic) and I went for the 2WD 204psi model. Cheers, Dean
Here is my post just after purchase with a few links:

Here’s a thread to dig through. Everyone has their own fave accessories from must haves to camping luxury. Asking this kind of question provides an open goal for suggestions!! Good luck sifting.

Our advice, buy only basics, use as much cooking stuff from your kitchen to kick off, see what you use, what you miss. And don’t forget this forum for good value pre-used stuff to save some pennies.

By the way @OxonCalifornia is right, you’ll have a week max to register and collect the van. VWUK tell dealers the vans must be sold to customers within 2 weeks of the van landing in the UK at port of entry.

I haven’t seen this colour yet so if you have reflex silver and starlight blue it would be great to see a pic
Best I could find was a marketing image, no actual photos on tinternet of blue / silver T6.1
this would be a great profile avatar pic !

886B97B6-E481-47FA-BE11-DD906BBB1709.jpeg

Here is my post just after purchase with a few links:

BTW there are some very useful collection checklists available on the forum; for example, on collection I found my van was missing:

Jack
First aid kit
Safety triangle
In door waste bin
Plastic wheel nut covers
Front door magnetic privacy screens

Though I did get things others have missed, such as a 12v socket torch, the table headrest strap, flyscreens, etc.

Best I could find was a marketing image, no actual photos on tinternet of blue / silver T6.1
this would be a great profile avatar pic !

View attachment 104795
This looks amazing and is similar to what I originally thought and would love to believe it will look like this but I think it is much darker! I guess I’ll know soon enough. And thanks, I will grab this for the avatar - thanks

This looks amazing and is similar to what I originally thought and would love to believe it will look like this but I think it is much darker! I guess I’ll know soon enough. And thanks, I will grab this for the avatar - thanks
Your Blue half will be darker as hers my Starlight Blue Met - It will still look Awesome - I would have prob gone for the Glacier Blue Bellows too , just a shame its a cost option

A83CA345-088E-4272-A45E-912B19D153E7 - Copy.jpeg

Yes I tried to get the blue bellows and silver awning casing as I misses these options at time of signing but I was unfortunately too late to change the order.

Buy everything like we have all done and then sell it all it’s so much fun. We have all done it!!

Give yourself time to see how you use your Cali and then decide what you need or want.

Have fun with the journey and ownership it will be a great adventure.

Steve & Sue

I’ve done a list if that helps of what I’ve brought and others I’m thinking about

There are only 3/4 items you need to buy before your first trip.
907 gas cylinder
Electrical hookup lead
Electrical hookup lead domestic 3 pin plug adapter to charge Leisure Batteries at home.
Gas kettle if you don't have one at home.
Crockery, cooking pans, bedding, cutlery etc; take from home.
After your first few trips replace items you take from home with Cali specific replacements to avoid packing and unpacking each trip.
Then move onto other California only items that you need definitely.