Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which colour should I choose for my ocean ?

Is that an ‘Edition’?
Difficult to understand why they did that on a white van, chosen partly to keep cool and then…a black roof?
Our van was the Ocean model, so I expected a white roof, but the factory selected a black 'edition' roof. Im not bothered by it as it will have solar panels fitted shortly. But if you select a dark body colour you will struggle to keep cool in the vehicle in hot weather.

If I was buying new I would also add the chrome pack. It adds the chrome bits and bobs but also blacks out the B pillars which a lot of owners do to their Calis.

View attachment 112455

View attachment 112456
It's down to personal taste but I too like the chrome pack, especially with dual colour combos. Having tried a metalic black full fat SE, our last two have been Beaches. They have been Acapulco blue and Starlight Blue over Candy white respectively. The dual colour was crying out for a bit of bling but the chrome pack wasn't an option on the Beach so I ordered the genuine VW parts and retro fitted them myself. IMO the result is superb and well worth the expense and hassle.
20200228_133730.jpg20200306_124546.jpg
I sold the Cascaval wheels straight away as I prefer the no nonsense Devonports. I don't like diamond cut wheels.

As previously mentioned, our grand children chose this colour but it has turned out to be a great choice and it attracts admirers where ever it goes.

We would have been happy with another in Acapulco blue. A fabulous colour now discontinued. Btw, I had misgivings about buying a black Cali and after only a few months ownership those concerns proved me right. It was only really clean once........when in the showroom. Once bought, it showed every water mark and spec of dirt despite my very fastidious cleaning regime. Never again.

That brings me nicely on to one of my biggest criticisms of the California product: the UK colour choice. What a boring and limited choice us brits get offered. With one or two short lived exceptions, twas always thus. Now there are no dual colours either. Come on VW, it's a leisure vehicle for Pete's sake. A model that's supposed to embody freedom and adventure. It wouldn't hurt VW to be a little more adventurous with their UK colour palet. I haven't looked recently but our main land european cousins usually get a much wider choice on both colours and options. Why?

It's down to personal taste but I too like the chrome pack, especially with dual colour combos. Having tried a metalic black full fat SE, our last two have been Beaches. They have been Acapulco blue and Starlight Blue over Candy white respectively. The dual colour was crying out for a bit of bling but the chrome pack wasn't an option on the Beach so I ordered the genuine VW parts and retro fitted them myself. IMO the result is superb and well worth the expense and hassle.
View attachment 112549View attachment 112550
I sold the Cascaval wheels straight away as I prefer the no nonsense Devonports. I don't like diamond cut wheels.

As previously mentioned, our grand children chose this colour but it has turned out to be a great choice and it attracts admirers where ever it goes.

We would have been happy with another in Acapulco blue. A fabulous colour now discontinued. Btw, I had misgivings about buying a black Cali and after only a few months ownership those concerns proved me right. It was only really clean once........when in the showroom. Once bought, it showed every water mark and spec of dirt despite my very fastidious cleaning regime. Never again.

That brings me nicely on to one of my biggest criticisms of the California product: the UK colour choice. What a boring and limited choice us brits get offered. With one or two short lived exceptions, twas always thus. Now there are no dual colours either. Come on VW, it's a leisure vehicle for Pete's sake. A model that's supposed to embody freedom and adventure. It wouldn't hurt VW to be a little more adventurous with their UK colour palet. I haven't looked recently but our main land european cousins usually get a much wider choice on both colours and options. Why?
Agree. Acapulco blue was nice but not around long. The Ravina blue available on the T6.1 Transporter is a really great colour too, full of energy, and would be ace on a Cali but sadly not available. No idea why.

We've got the reflex silver over starlight blue and to be honest I wish I hadn't bothered. The blue is very dark and looks almost black in low light conditions. It also doesn't help that I had Diamondbrite added by the dealer and they really messed it up. You can see the swirls from the power mop on the blue half.
I really wish I'd now gone for the Fortana red and used the money I spent on the two tone on the sports pack instead.

We've got the reflex silver over starlight blue and to be honest I wish I hadn't bothered. The blue is very dark and looks almost black in low light conditions. It also doesn't help that I had Diamondbrite added by the dealer and they really messed it up. You can see the swirls from the power mop on the blue half.
I really wish I'd now gone for the Fortana red and used the money I spent on the two tone on the sports pack instead.
Jeaniethecali. Please can you send me a private message

Hi there,
I have placed an order for my cali ocean in two tone starlight blue and reflex silver.
However, Im worried about my colour choice and still have time to change to a solid colour - Indium grey.
Does anyone have any advice please to help me make my decision?
The trouble is that I haven't seen the two tone in real life.
Ive also chosen the davenport wheels with 215 tyres. Is this a good choice?

20230331_115704.jpg

I’ve had 2 Beaches & 1 Kombi in Indium Grey and I really hate it now!

Really wish VW had updated the standard Metallic Colours but I can’t see that happening now so close to production coming to an end.

If it’s any consolation I’m finding Fortana Red pretty hard to keep clean. Ascot grey with Sports pack for the win I think.

I’m told that two tone adds weeks to build and delivery. I am just about to order in no cost Ascot Grey which I like. But the dealer told me today there is a cancellation order in build right now, but in £850 Mojave Beige. I’m not bothered about colour but an early delivery is v attractive. So I’m mulling it over right now.

Ascot Grey w/sports pack for the win. If resale is a consideration MB might be a harder sell.

If I still can order one (or find the finanical options), This would be exactly what I want.
Solar and all.
I am a bit jalous ;- )
We loved the green colour (Bayleaf Green) but I think it is now discontinued :sad .... we came across our van due to luck ...

In Oct/Nov 2021 we decided we wanted a VW Camper ... I've wanted one since I could drive but never actually got my hands on one so it was always on my bucket list. We specced one up on the VW configurator and started asking dealers for quotes and delivery times ... they all said it would take about a year which blew our plans for the 2022 summer holidays - so I set up a search on all the German online car platforms. There were loads of vans available online, but no one actually had one to sell - they were either already gone or just teasers to attract customers for orders. We got a bit disheartened, looked at alternatives but nothing quite did it for us.

Then, on the 27th Dec 2021, while having a morning coffee in bed, an e-mail notification popped up for this green/white Ocean at a dealer 250km away. I phoned at 8am when the dealership opened and asked if it was actually for sale, turns out it was a showroom vehicle and they were now selling it .... 2 hours later we were in the showroom signing the sales contract. It was delivered in January and has been a joy to own - we've been all over Europe in it from Scotland to Southern Italy - loads of adventures and memories.

The solar I specified and installed myself and it looks like this ...

01_Plan.JPG

SmallJPEG-122827.jpgSmallJPEG-124223230803.jpg

I realy love the color. Like you said it is indeed discontinued.
But so are some others aswel.
Like the Two tone Candy White and Ascot grey. That is also realy nice if you see it up close in person.
We rented one last vacation to see if it was something for us (me :D). But it still is on the bucked list for me. We went up to the dealer in January since our previous Caddy came up end of contract. The idea was to change it for a cali but we where out of our financial depts there for a moment. So we ended up with the New Caddy instead. Maybe in Four years when the contract ends up again. We will have to see if I am that lucky, our find some money somewhere stached in a ditch ;-)

Like the Two tone Candy White and Ascot grey. That is also realy nice if you see it up close in person.
The Kundencenter in Hannover had one on display and I was smitten. Super subtle but really works. Second choice 2 tone would be red and silver but impossible to fly under the radar if thats important.

Ascot Grey w/sports pack for the win. If resale is a consideration MB might be a harder sell.
A fair point. I‘m normally a no-cost paint option man, and I do like Ascot grey. But when I went in this morning, the dealer confirmed the cancelled order Cali had left the factory, ETA at dealer in 4 weeks. So I ordered it….

We loved the green colour (Bayleaf Green) but I think it is now discontinued :sad .... we came across our van due to luck ...

In Oct/Nov 2021 we decided we wanted a VW Camper ... I've wanted one since I could drive but never actually got my hands on one so it was always on my bucket list. We specced one up on the VW configurator and started asking dealers for quotes and delivery times ... they all said it would take about a year which blew our plans for the 2022 summer holidays - so I set up a search on all the German online car platforms. There were loads of vans available online, but no one actually had one to sell - they were either already gone or just teasers to attract customers for orders. We got a bit disheartened, looked at alternatives but nothing quite did it for us.

Then, on the 27th Dec 2021, while having a morning coffee in bed, an e-mail notification popped up for this green/white Ocean at a dealer 250km away. I phoned at 8am when the dealership opened and asked if it was actually for sale, turns out it was a showroom vehicle and they were now selling it .... 2 hours later we were in the showroom signing the sales contract. It was delivered in January and has been a joy to own - we've been all over Europe in it from Scotland to Southern Italy - loads of adventures and memories.

View attachment 113768

View attachment 113769View attachment 113770
Blow me down - you must be an engineer !

View attachment 113768

View attachment 113769View attachment 113770
250kms (156 miles) in two hours = 78mph average. Blimey, you where keen!

Back