Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which colour should I choose for my ocean ?

jaynehale1968

jaynehale1968

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi there,
I have placed an order for my cali ocean in two tone starlight blue and reflex silver.
However, Im worried about my colour choice and still have time to change to a solid colour - Indium grey.
Does anyone have any advice please to help me make my decision?
The trouble is that I haven't seen the two tone in real life.
Ive also chosen the davenport wheels with 215 tyres. Is this a good choice?

Hi there,
I have placed an order for my cali ocean in two tone starlight blue and reflex silver.
However, Im worried about my colour choice and still have time to change to a solid colour - Indium grey.
For 2 tones I would choose Candy White/Ascot Grey or the silver/red which really pops. Personally I prefer a little more subtle appearance as I wild camp most of the time. If I was ordering today in the UK Ascot Grey with Sports Pack would be my choice.
If you like a hard, rough ride the 215 will be fine and should return better mpg. I decided I wanted a more car like comfort level and went for the 235 option. The OEM Bridgestones are not great, in fact pretty awful, and I would recommend putting the option cost towards better Michelin CrossClimate2 or Latitude Cross tyres.

Just my opinion, everyone has their own but you did ask. I would have loved 2 tone if they still did the copper/white combo but I really dislike the silver/starlight 2 tone. Some 2 tones definitely look better than others. We have a starlight ocean and it looks incredible. Slightly safe but not as safe as indium grey (which is quite boring). My favourite combo recently is the ascot grey with the sports pack. That looks insane!

Next time you drive on the motorway do a mental tally of how many black, white and grey cars there are driving in the opposite direction.

Then ask yourself if Grey is the best you can do.

Everyone is different when it comes to colour choices. if I had the option of any 2 tone it would be Red and White just like our original back in the 60s.
Many 2 tone options which you could have a couple of years ago have now been discontinued in the UK but sometimes still available in Mainland Europe.

with 215 tyres. Is this a good choice?
Consider 235/55/R17 (wider) tyres. They should give you a more comfortable ride, better grip and slightly improved soft surface performance. The extra cost from VW should be about 140 quid zero & there'll be a slight increase in consumption.

Last edited:
Choose the colour and wheels you like. I like your colour choices, but not wheels. Others may not. Personal opinions like that. In the end you need to make you happy with an expensive purchase, not us.

Last edited:
Hi there,
Reflex Silver with Starlight blue will look gorgeous and if you could extend to the blue bellows that would really top it off.
There is a you tube California Chris video showing one, so look at that.
But in the end its what you like, not others....but I dont think you will be disappointed ..certainly something special.

Indium’s the safe choice (aka the boring choice), two tone all the way. Would also consider going for the blue bellows if the bottom half is blue, looks pretty cool.
Or you could mix it up and go red bellows :D

For 2 tones I would choose Candy White/Ascot Grey or the silver/red which really pops. Personally I prefer a little more subtle appearance as I wild camp most of the time. If I was ordering today in the UK Ascot Grey with Sports Pack would be my choice.
If you like a hard, rough ride the 215 will be fine and should return better mpg. I decided I wanted a more car like comfort level and went for the 235 option. The OEM Bridgestones are not great, in fact pretty awful, and I would recommend putting the option cost towards better Michelin CrossClimate2 or Latitude Cross tyres.
You could just use the 215s for 10k miles and then change them for Michelins. Or spend a bit extra to get the 235 all seasons, but personally I prefer the Michelins now I have them. Better grip all round.

It's like asking which pudding should I choose? Only you can decide.

When we purchased our current T6 Cali, we gave the task of choosing the colour to our grandchildren. As it was purchased partly to enjoy with them, we felt that getting the little blighters to help choose the various options would give them a sense of joint ownership. We did say that the colour choice couldn't include black as it would never looks clean again, or that horrid dark green metallic colour, now discontinued. They chose Candy White over Starlight Blue. It was an excellent choice and gets admiring comments wherever it goes.

Re tyre choice, my view based on experience of both sizes, is that you would be much better off choosing 235s as they give a better ride quality. I believe that the 215's were designed for use as commercial van tyres and as such are meant for constant heavy loads. Consequently they have stiffer side walls and run at higher pressure than the 235s. That translates into a harsher more crashy ride. The 235 size is altogether better at cushioning the nasty imperfections in the road surface and as such better suites the California.

The VW Devonport alloy is the best wheel choice in my opinion for the following reasons:
1. They are robust OEM equipment.
2. They are dead easy to keep clean.
3. They are not as easy to curb as some of the other fancy alternatives.
4. They are painted so are easier and cheaper to have refurbished if necessary.
5. New replacements are cheap and plentiful on Ebay.
6. IMO, 17" give a better ride quality than larger diameter wheels.

It's like asking which pudding should I choose? Only you can decide.

When we purchased our current T6 Cali, we gave the task of choosing the colour to our grandchildren. As it was purchased partly to enjoy with them, we felt that getting the little blighters to help choose the various options would give them a sense of joint ownership. We did say that the colour choice couldn't include black as it would never looks clean again, or that horrid dark green metallic colour, now discontinued. They chose Candy White over Starlight Blue. It was an excellent choice and gets admiring comments wherever it goes.

Re tyre choice, my view based on experience of both sizes, is that you would be much better off choosing 235s as they give a better ride quality. I believe that the 215's were designed for use as commercial van tyres and as such are meant for constant heavy loads. Consequently they have stiffer side walls and run at higher pressure than the 235s. That translates into a harsher more crashy ride. The 235 size is altogether better at cushioning the nasty imperfections in the road surface and as such better suites the California.

The VW Devonport alloy is the best wheel choice in my opinion for the following reasons:
1. They are robust OEM equipment.
2. They are dead easy to keep clean.
3. They are not as easy to curb as some of the other fancy alternatives.
4. They are painted so are easier and cheaper to have refurbished if necessary.
5. New replacements are cheap and plentiful on Ebay.
6. IMO, 17" give a better ride quality than larger diameter wheels.
@jaynehale1968 - This is an excellent summary of the tyre choices and Devonports.
I have to disagree on the puddings though. I’m always told what I can’t have :(

@jaynehale1968 - This is an excellent summary of the tyre choices and Devonports.
I have to disagree on the puddings though. I’m always told what I can’t have :(
We usually go for one pud and a cheese board to share. I don't don't usually get involved in the pudding choosing.

235 better than 215 every way, 215 will run at 3.8 atm. vs 3.0 atm. 235, more comfortable ride bay far.
I've got the red bellows on a pure grey and looks fabulous, so I agree with @Kayleigh, mix it up and go red!
It will add more fun when you camp, and you could spot your van from distance.
enjoy!

We intend to do off-grid "mini stays" in Europe and wanted the Indium Grey such that we don't draw attention to ourselves. Picked it up this week. Would have enjoyed a bright two-tone colour but if we are trying to blend in at the side of a lake etc, felt the Indium grey would be better.

We will often tow our caravan on long trips and now will disappear off-grid with the Cali, leaving the van on a site. If you want to see some of the places we've been to previously, they are at www.caravanramblings.co.uk. Not sure of the site name now we won't always have the caravan with us!!!!!!

Silver / Beige

Requires less regular cleaning and doesn’t attract attention.

Silver / Beige
Yes, I think these colours are discounted too quickly. Whilst it’s a common car colour, I have never seen a silver T6/6.1 California, even at a dealer. Both would be an upgrade from Indium grey imo.
@jaynehale1968 you have ordered a silver-topped two-tone, then wonder about a solid colour. Why jump to Indium? Silver would be a brighter alternative, better suited to a leisure vehicle. And if you spent the saved cash on the sports pack (and pocket a few hundred quid), you may well have a unique California including the best OEM wheel design. Springfields tick many of @Borris boxes above, but better fill the wheel arches and look great.

Last edited:
Back