Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Ocean, leaking back window.

treecity

treecity

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Posting this as an FYI for anyone else in case it becomes a known issue!

Brand new Ocean, noticed a bit of water after day 2 when I opened tailgate. Thought it might be condensation.

Noticed again after another night of rain.

Chucking it down now and went and looked and pooling up internally on tailgate :

Ocean.JPG

Looks like our first trip back to the dealer!

Not good ...
The first T6 issues are sticking their head up.

On the T5 there was waterinfiltration due the 3th breaklight on top coming lose or simply to fall out ....as the T6 got a whole new rear door this should be solved....one would think...
To be sure ....check the 3th breaklight light anyway;)

Not good ...
The first T6 issues are sticking their head up.

On the T5 there was waterinfiltration due the 3th breaklight on top coming lose or simply to fall out ....as the T6 got a whole new rear door this should be solved....one would think...
To be sure ....check the 3th breaklight light anyway;)

Thanks for the tip! You could well be right. The 3rd brakelight pulled forward really easily. I've just pushed it back... hope that does the trick!

Will get dealer to check anyway and will report back.

Now that i find scandalous , they got the same problem on the new rear door , so they just used the old lightfitting witch had been proven faulty ....

Check the space that holds the folding chairs ....water ends up there causing moist mould and rot ....open it up .....let it dry

Go to VW tell them you know that the problem was already known on T5 ....ask for compensation!

Check the space that holds the folding chairs
Check the rear blind as well. When our Cali had water ingress due to the brakelight cover coming loose the blind got wet leaving unsightly water marks. The garage replaced the blind under warranty when they fixed the brakelight.

Thanks + hotel california T5 and Tactical.

Have checked both and seems dry... for now!

Hoping to get booked into dealer asap!

Thanks + hotel california T5 and Tactical.

Have checked both and seems dry... for now!

Hoping to get booked into dealer asap!
Thanks for 'heads up' I've just checked mine and no water ingress at the moment... 3rd brake light appears secure.. Thanks Paul

New 3rd brake light on order... BACK ORDER!!

Serious...the same problem as on T5 models...?
They realy need to do theire homework at VW and start reading this forum!:Nailbiting

1st thing I did when I got to see my Ocean for the 1st time today was check that brake light! Feels secure. Fingers crossed pick it up Monday afternoon.

My astonishment with VW continues. Surely someone somewhere in the company must monitor this sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no certainty at the moment that it is the high level brake light but it's looking that way.

To clarify how loose it is:

If I get my finger tips along the top of it, I can pull it towards me like it is hinged along the bottom edge by about half an inch.

I'm guessing I shouldn't be able to do that, even after my spinach?!

To clarify how loose it is...
To prevent any further water ingress and consequent damage you would do well to tape over the edges of the brakelight with electrical insulating tape (or similar that won't come off in the rain). That fixed mine until the garage could fit a replacement.

To prevent any further water ingress and consequent damage you would do well to tape over the edges of the brakelight with electrical insulating tape (or similar that won't come off in the rain). That fixed mine until the garage could fit a replacement.

Just done that, good advice, especially as a day of heavy rain tomorrow!

Update:

Having taped the back upper brake light with electrical tape, and 24 hours of rain... bone dry!

Therefore: definitely the upper 3rd brake light!!

Glad to hear at least we could help while VW is doing not that much...

Finally had the upper rear brakelight replaced today. Fingers crossed no more leaks!

Picking mine up next month, which brake light is this specifically? Will be checking when I get it!

Picking mine up next month, which brake light is this specifically? Will be checking when I get it!

The "upper breaklight" above the rear windscreen , also known as the thirth breaklight ...

I do find it amazing that the same T5 problem of rear high level brake light is now showing on the T6.

VW have had 10 years to find a solution,

Wait... we did say VW...

Translate that as total arrogance towards the consumer that buys their products.

Just noticed mine has disappeared; don't suppose anyone has a part number I can quote before i call VW?
Just reached 12 months of what has otherwise been a faultless and enjoyable drive...

Just noticed mine has disappeared; don't suppose anyone has a part number I can quote before i call VW?
Just reached 12 months of what has otherwise been a faultless and enjoyable drive...
Just tell them 'high level brake light' and they will know. Can I suggest you tape it up to stop water ruining things while you wait. I phoned the dealer about mine this morning and it's a stock item "your not the first and won't be the last" was what they said - take about 3/4 of an hour the fit (to a beach).

The 3rd brake light is now subject to a recall by Vw.
Expect a worldwide shortage of parts soon!

Back