Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New owner questions!

Alex p

Alex p

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hiya Im new to campers and just got an se 2014 with lots of goodies on it so I'm a bit blown away with all the things
it does. I read through the handbook but it didn't prepare me for the dpf regen that took me by surprise the other day sitting in traffic. It really smoked... so much so I stopped and though the whole thing was going up in smoke... should it really smoke that bad? It was sunny so probably looked worse that it was!? Everything else seems to behave and do exactly what it should but there are couple of questions I would love to ask!! It's got satnav with dab but the dab signal seems really poor so I have to stick with FM. Is there an arial anywhere? can you get a booster? Really wanted 6 music!! :) coasting.. wow that spooked me out a bit the first time I used it! is that legal? also does it make a big difference if you get the hang of it?? Apparently mine has low rolling resistance tyres?? (Don't really believe it!) So I wondered if anyone got serious mpg out of it? Everything else is flippin brill.. I keep making excuses to go out and sit in it... blimy who would have guessed my mid life crisis car would be a van!! Thanks in advance! Oh mines a 180HP auto dsg.

Hiya Im new to campers and just got an se 2014 with lots of goodies on it so I'm a bit blown away with all the things
it does. I read through the handbook but it didn't prepare me for the dpf regen that took me by surprise the other day sitting in traffic. It really smoked... so much so I stopped and though the whole thing was going up in smoke... should it really smoke that bad? It was sunny so probably looked worse that it was!? Everything else seems to behave and do exactly what it should but there are couple of questions I would love to ask!! It's got satnav with dab but the dab signal seems really poor so I have to stick with FM. Is there an arial anywhere? can you get a booster? Really wanted 6 music!! :) coasting.. wow that spooked me out a bit the first time I used it! is that legal? also does it make a big difference if you get the hang of it?? Apparently mine has low rolling resistance tyres?? (Don't really believe it!) So I wondered if anyone got serious mpg out of it? Everything else is flippin brill.. I keep making excuses to go out and sit in it... blimy who would have guessed my mid life crisis car would be a van!! Thanks in advance! Oh mines a 180HP auto dsg.
:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome

To answer your questions. Never had mine smoke on a DPF regen. Mind you I've never noticed a DPF regen but although retired I'm using mine daily and cover 20,000 miles/ year with many long trips and very few short ones. How many miles has yours done?

The DAB aerial is located in the Wing mirrors as is the FM radio. This is a powered aerial. Remove the SatNav unit and check the aerial connections. Also retune the DAB station list. There has been a software upgrade for the RNS510 SatNav radio, if you have that fitted. I do, and have excellent DAB reception.
Coasting is perfectly legal. It does help.
It's not the same as selecting Neutral, as it fails safe. The DSG clutch is disengaged and that takes hydraulic power from the DSG hydraulic pump. No power No Coast.

Thanks for the reply.. it's only done 10k and I have had it a couple of weeks and to be honest only been doing little commutes in it so probably not the best type of running for it!! I'm not sure about the sat nav.. I'll have to see what model it is. How did you upgrade the software? With the dealer ? Thanks for the info on the coasting just really surprised me! Good explanation so I'll keep using it!!

Thanks for the reply.. it's only done 10k and I have had it a couple of weeks and to be honest only been doing little commutes in it so probably not the best type of running for it!! I'm not sure about the sat nav.. I'll have to see what model it is. How did you upgrade the software? With the dealer ? Thanks for the info on the coasting just really surprised me! Good explanation so I'll keep using it!!
Dealer for the software. Is it still under warranty?

Also, be aware, although it has only done 10,000 miles, certain service items are time as well as mileage sensitive.
Engine oil - 20,000 miles or 2 years
DSG - 40,000 miles or 2 years is advised
If 4Motion - 40,000 miles or 2yrs Oil Change for Haldex Diff is advised
AirCon - 2 yrly recharge to replenish lubricants.

OK cool it has 12 month warrantee. Really good advise on the servicing I'll take a proper look through the service book! It is stamped so maybe give them a call! Thanks for the good Intel!!

OK cool it has 12 month warrantee. Really good advise on the servicing I'll take a proper look through the service book! It is stamped so maybe give them a call! Thanks for the good Intel!!
The full details of the Servic should be on the VW computer system. Any Dealer could look it up based on Reg Number or VIN.
As it has a Warranty get them to fix the Radio.

Yup true. Be giving them a call tomorrow!! And will discuss my smoke out... !

I would also repeat WG comment re regeneration never had a smoke out on our ex 180 again a daily drive over 63k mile

:welcome to the joys of camper vaning

Alex, I love the coast function. It definitely works for me. I do long journeys and always try to max out on MPG. I find coasting gives a good ride and just fits in with the driving.. Living on a hill, going to the shops, I get circa 80 - 90 MPG on outward journey and by return I am at 40. 40 MPG fully loaded heavy van brilliant.

If it's only done 10k since 2014 I'm not surprised it's regenerating.
Take it out and give it a damn good thrashing.

damn good thrashing.png

Haha Yup I think ur right... getting in to coasting but might turn if off when my wife tries it for the first time!! I phoned dealer in Ashford and there service department said they can smoke like hell if you sitting still or with forced Regen which is Re-assuring!! Any of you Kent guys use the fellas in tondbridge for servicing or Ashford?? Any others I have missed??

Dealer for the software. Is it still under warranty?

Also, be aware, although it has only done 10,000 miles, certain service items are time as well as mileage sensitive.
Engine oil - 20,000 miles or 2 years
DSG - 40,000 miles or 2 years is advised
If 4Motion - 40,000 miles or 2yrs Oil Change for Haldex Diff is advised
AirCon - 2 yrly recharge to replenish lubricants.

My understanding is that the DSG and Haldex oil change are 40k miles or 4 years not 2 .

My understanding is that the DSG and Haldex oil change are 40k miles or 4 years not 2 .
If you wish to leave it in there for 4 years then that's your decision.
Personally I wouldn't, but then that's not a problem for me as I am doing 20,000 miles/year.
I was also advised that if the vehicle is spending long periods idle, as the OP mentioned only 10,000 miles in almost 3 years, so must have been idle for weeks, or more at a time, 2 yearly is better.
Remember, the California is based on a commercial vehicle. I very much doubt if many T5 vans average 3-4,000 miles/year.

How do you coast with a dsg if not using neutral?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Coast is an electronic function controlled by the EMU and DSG electronics. It is enabled on the Dash Multi Function Display.
The DSG box remains in the appropriate gear but the DSG clutch is disengaged. Revs drop to idle. On touching brakes or accelerator the Engine revs increase to the correct speed for the gear and road speed and the clutch engaged. IT IS NOT the same as engaging Neutral.

If you wish to leave it in there for 4 years then that's your decision.
Personally I wouldn't, but then that's not a problem for me as I am doing 20,000 miles/year.
I was also advised that if the vehicle is spending long periods idle, as the OP mentioned only 10,000 miles in almost 3 years, so must have been idle for weeks, or more at a time, 2 yearly is better.
Remember, the California is based on a commercial vehicle. I very much doubt if many T5 vans average 3-4,000 miles/year.

My comment is based on VW recommendations, not sure where you got your info from.

Have to look that up tomorrow when we leave for holidays in our recently bought T5

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

My comment is based on VW recommendations, not sure where you got your info from.
A VW engineer. The Service plan is written for the T5 Commercial vehicle. Very few California owners do the mileage commercial van owners do and oils and lubricants change and degenerate when not used as designed. You can follow VW Service Recommendations as you wish. I don't have a problem with that, but I wouldn't be buying a low mileage vehicle off you if you had been following VWs recommendations and covering substantially less than 10,000 miles/year with the vehicle laid up for the winter.
Anyway, that's not going to happen. So do as you wish. Follow the Handbook recommendations. After all, VW always have the customers best interest in mind in all they say and do.:mute

I agree with Welsh Gas, I will have an oil change and service and bring the service intervals to a date rather than mileage this will show up on the service history and any prospective buyer will see low mileage and service history to match 10,000 miles or one year which ever comes sooner seems to be a good plan
Good fresh oil and not to many short journeys keeps the regeneration at bay and keeps your turbo running for many years

A VW engineer. The Service plan is written for the T5 Commercial vehicle. Very few California owners do the mileage commercial van owners do and oils and lubricants change and degenerate when not used as designed. You can follow VW Service Recommendations as you wish. I don't have a problem with that, but I wouldn't be buying a low mileage vehicle off you if you had been following VWs recommendations and covering substantially less than 10,000 miles/year with the vehicle laid up for the winter.
Anyway, that's not going to happen. So do as you wish. Follow the Handbook recommendations. After all, VW always have the customers best interest in mind in all they say and do.:mute

I don't recall mentioning how many miles per year I do, what service schedule I adhere to and how I use my van. I was just pointing out your error in quoting 40K miles or 2 years. We all know that you do 20K a year, you appear to quote this fact in every other post you respond to. You also keep quoting that the T5 is a commercial vehicle. this is not relevant as the recommended service schedules for VW cars are the same as the commercial vehicles.
In my opinion the majority of VW Californias should be on the 12 month service schedule based on the mileages they do. I believe that VW van centres should be advising people to do this.
For your information I do approx 10k per year and am on the fixed 12 month service schedule, although when working I trebled your measly 20k miles per annum. I was responsible for a major fleet of vehicles including cars and vans and have a good friend who works in VW customer service/warranty.
You also keep quoting in a number of your posts about "Class 1 Evidence " , I have lots of this but its not for an open forum.

I don't recall mentioning how many miles per year I do, what service schedule I adhere to and how I use my van. I was just pointing out your error in quoting 40K miles or 2 years. We all know that you do 20K a year, you appear to quote this fact in every other post you respond to. You also keep quoting that the T5 is a commercial vehicle. this is not relevant as the recommended service schedules for VW cars are the same as the commercial vehicles.
In my opinion the majority of VW Californias should be on the 12 month service schedule based on the mileages they do. I believe that VW van centres should be advising people to do this.
For your information I do approx 10k per year and am on the fixed 12 month service schedule, although when working I trebled your measly 20k miles per annum. I was responsible for a major fleet of vehicles including cars and vans and have a good friend who works in VW customer service/warranty.
You also keep quoting in a number of your posts about "Class 1 Evidence " , I have lots of this but its not for an open forum.
Touchy. Never stated what your annual milage is - not interested. I'm sure you have lots of evidence, about what I'm not sure, but the supposed evidence that is publicly available is anecdotal at best and certainly does not stand upto any scientific scrutiny.
So you agree, that a milage based Service programme is better replaced by a Time Based one. So on that we can agree.

Isn't the Cali on a variable service plan. I.e. If you do lots of short journeys it will automatically request the service sooner than if you do longer journeys?

So you advocate An Annual Service or 20,000 miles whichever comes first, according to your statement.

So what do you advocate for the Gear Box/DSG and Haldex Coupling?

40,000 miles or 4 years, as recommended by VW or 40,000 miles/ 2 years whichever comes first? As you use to be responsible for a major fleet of vehicles, which would you advise?

I do go on about 20,000 miles/year a lot. Must restrain myself, but then it is just to illustrate that these vehicles are designed to do that rather than 3,000 miles/year and being laid up over winter which can lead to more problems, especially if the VW Service Schedule based on milage is followed.
I'm glad you were able to surpass my measly milage when you were working, must have made you feel really good, a King of the Road.

Isn't the Cali on a variable service plan. I.e. If you do lots of short journeys it will automatically request the service sooner than if you do longer journeys?
Not that much sooner, unfortunately, but yes it can be variable . With my milage it pushed the oil change milage to 26,000 miles. Don't know how much it decreases it though for shorter trips.

Back