Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wire rack thing in fridge

We seem to have a problem of lots of condensation in the fridge and yes, the basket is towards the rear of the van in the fridge. Might dry it out and move the wire rack more forward. Could this really make that much difference to condensation build up...?
Very easy to think the Fridge is properly closed when in fact it isn't. Check carefully. Not seen this problem and basket can be at either end.

There is a front and a back to the basket which makes it easier to fit if the right way round but that would have no impact on its location.

Ok.
I will check. We seem to be getting a lot of condensation in there.
It’s wet after 2 days

Ok.
I will check. We seem to be getting a lot of condensation in there.
It’s wet after 2 days
Not right. After having the fridge on for the past 21 days while I was in Norway, it was still bone dry at the end. Some ice on the rear panel where the heater exchanger is. But, when I close it I always have to give it that extra push to compress the seal and the lock tab then clicks forward as it seats itself properly.

Been doing this for ages - another advantage is that in hot weather you can take out a box, immediately close the fridge lid so as not to lose any coolness, and rummage away for the bit of cheese you're looking for in a leisurely fashion :)

The basket in my fridge has always been sat towards the rear. I think I would find it more difficult to find things if it was towards the front as I would have to be trying to see and reach around it to get thing out from below. After a few days we do get some dampness in the bottom but I now always put a folded up tea towel in the bottom to absorb it. This also help to stop thing sliding around too. I do sometimes have to have a couple of goes at getting the lid securely closed, one press is not always enough, at a slight touch it will pop open again.

Just found this thread - all very interesting/informative.
Our solution to condensation?
Wire thingy on right hand side of fridge, not left, and these two grids in the bottom. All are designed to allow some air movement. Result? More consistent temperature in all of the fridge and much less/no condensation.
Just come back from three weeks in Germany - no condensation in fridge. :happy

Just found this thread - all very interesting/informative.
Our solution to condensation?
Wire thingy on right hand side of fridge, not left, and these two grids in the bottom. All are designed to allow some air movement. Result? More consistent temperature in all of the fridge and much less/no condensation.
Just come back from three weeks in Germany - no condensation in fridge. :happy

View attachment 45976
Hi

Can I ask where you buy this from please....we have a terrible condensation problem in our fridge Everything is dripping when I pull it out and even cardboard packets are soggy!

Thanks in advance

Gill

The fridge in mine wasn’t fitted properly and was lower at the front end by a few mm. This meant a small gap around 3/4 of the door seal allowing air flow into the fridge and lots of condensation to form. Once fridge lifted into correct position much less water in the bottom and it runs much less often too.

I think the slatted device came from the Club Shop (about 2 years ago) but I can't find it any longer, sorry. The other item I think came from Dunelm/B&M but is a sink mat similar to this. https://www.wilsonscolchester.com/products/plastic-sink-mat-39x35cm.html?filter_set[]=1,333,338,600 or this https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/283431933984?chn=ps
The one we bought was too big for the Cali Fridge so we just cut it to size (it is very flexible plastic). Importantly the mat should have holes in it.

Ah, just found this. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/what-have-you-bought-for-your-cali-today.8536/post-281758

If your condensation problem s as bad as you say are you sure your fridge top is sealing correctly when closed? Or it inadvertently gets left slightly open? We find that when you sit tight up against the fridge your elbow can very easily nudge the lid catch and leave the fridge "ajar". This will cause a severe condensation problem if left unnoticed. Above there is good advice about making sure the wire tray is on the right not the left of the fridge. Also make sure you switch the fridge on before you put any food in it and that, if possible, all the stuff you put in there is already at Fridge temperature.

Hope this helps a little.

I think the slatted device came from the Club Shop (about 2 years ago) but I can't find it any longer, sorry. The other item I think came from Dunelm/B&M but is a sink mat similar to this. https://www.wilsonscolchester.com/products/plastic-sink-mat-39x35cm.html?filter_set[]=1,333,338,600 or this https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/283431933984?chn=ps
The one we bought was too big for the Cali Fridge so we just cut it to size (it is very flexible plastic). Importantly the mat should have holes in it.

Ah, just found this. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/what-have-you-bought-for-your-cali-today.8536/post-281758

If your condensation problem s as bad as you say are you sure your fridge top is sealing correctly when closed? Or it inadvertently gets left slightly open? We find that when you sit tight up against the fridge your elbow can very easily nudge the lid catch and leave the fridge "ajar". This will cause a severe condensation problem if left unnoticed. Above there is good advice about making sure the wire tray is on the right not the left of the fridge. Also make sure you switch the fridge on before you put any food in it and that, if possible, all the stuff you put in there is already at Fridge temperature.

Hope this helps a little.
Yes it does help and that’s exactly where I sit too!!

Thanks

Gill

Is it condensation? or just the ice melting off the back wall.

Is it condensation? or just the ice melting off the back wall.

Good question.
I did notice, there is a lot forming and the back wall of the fridge. I thought about setting it to a lower temperature

Good question.
I did notice, there is a lot forming and the back wall of the fridge. I thought about setting it to a lower temperature
I have noticed a good 1cm of ice build up on the back wall sometimes,
when i drop the temp i end up with a soggy bottom.
Tea towel for us at the mo but im gonna get a grid.

We keep a flannel in the bottom of ours, it stops bottles from rattling and absorbs any moisture.

Back