Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

newbie with some really basic and silly questions!

If cost is the most important aspect then my approach would be cheaper.?

Might be cheaper short term. But not necessarily long term. The Cali has a high spec as standard. You don't need many options if you want to keep it cheaper.

If cost is the most important aspect then my approach would be cheaper.?

I will have a reasonable deposit so cost not my bigger factor to be honest (though yeah this thing is gonna be crazy expensive!). But I would like a comfortable, robust interior and a good resale value (you never know what the future holds). So I think Ocean is better for me than a conversion.

no worries. It sounds like a good enough solution from VW :)

Agree with everyone. I spent ages reviewing options including being taken with romantic notion of a Brazilian t2. So went to NEC and spent time looking at the conversions. All seemed a bit clunky and vans didn't have car type basics like air con. But to be fair the clincher was when Danbury guy said Calis are for 'posers'. Knew at that point it was the Cali for me.

I've got some internal padded tin foil cab blinds that stick on. Nice and cosy.

Hi and welcome , IF you favor goes to a LHD you need to import and this meens you got more/diffrent options.
Importing a LHD from the mainland means you get to chose between a Beach , Coast and Ocean .
Diesel or Petrol .
Two-tone colors

If so , whole diffrent approch.

All your Q's in your 1st post are answerd here on the forum .
Go for YOUR choice and YOUR needs , others advise is good but others can have a diffrent view on the Cali-way-of-life.

Last edited:
Welcome Mike1973
I guess all your questions have been answered in the post above and I wish you great enjoyment to choose and decide the right Van/Camper (Cali or Conversion, 2tone or the Edition Line). Look forward to your final spec list or pictures of your new van.

For the blinds for the cab, I use (old SE) the in build ones for a short stay or the brandrup Isolite outdoor thing. There are many more possibilities.

Cheers
sapto

In the left hand drive cab the passenger seat can be left rotated as the car is driven about.

Be very careful about that assumption Mike. In my van (RHD) when the passenger seat is swivelled it completely obscures the nearside door mirror. I assume the same (but reversed) would be true in a LHD and then even worse it would be the offside mirror.

Firstly, welcome :welcome

Secondly, there is no such thing as a silly question! We’ve all asked them even if we won’t admit it....

Cali vs conversion? Cali every time for me. Plenty of excellent conversions out there, granted, but many are Cali prices anyway, and won’t have all the technological and design features of the Cali, and, importantly, the Cali has bomb-proof residual value.

Left or right hooker? Well, I’ve owned about 10 left hand VW campers over the years, splits, bays, T25’s, the lot. They were ALL left hookers as I imported most of them from the good old US of A. Personally, I love a left hand drive, but again, its personal preference as with anything. Great for parking against a kerb, not so great when overtaking on a motorway!

It will be interesting to see if I find it annoying having the sliding door in my Cali on the driver's side, as I’m used to it being on the opposite side to the driver!

It will be interesting to see if I find it annoying having the sliding door in my Cali on the driver's side, as I’m used to it being on the opposite side to the driver!

I know this has been discussed elsewhere in the forum and as far as I recall, few people seem to have a problem with the sliding door on offside (but maybe we're Cali-biased).

I think it might be an issue if you were using your van for school runs. For ourselves though it's leisure use only and the door on the right has really been a complete non-issue.

Be very careful about that assumption Mike. In my van (RHD) when the passenger seat is swivelled it completely obscures the nearside door mirror. I assume the same (but reversed) would be true in a LHD and then even worse it would be the offside mirror.

Additionally, it would also be illegal to drive on public roads with the passenger seat reversed. The seatbelt wouldn't work for starters.

I think it might be an issue if you were using your van for school runs. For ourselves though it's leisure use only and the door on the right has really been a complete non-issue.[/QUOTE]

As of now I shall be parking at least a mile away from the school so as to avoid the shocking driving and parking habits of all the yummy mummy school mums, they scratch my Cali and I’ll not be a happy camper !!! :headbang :headbang

I've already warned the kids to get used to a walk after school :)

I've already warned the kids to get used to a walk after school
Among the epic tribulations that have been my efforts to have a new driveway constructed:
(see https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/a-drive-fit-for-a-cali.16059/)
Has been a desire to have bike stands installed at the front of the house. This is so the boys have no excuse against cycling to school.

We live in an inner London suburb, there must be six primary schools within a mile of our home. Why anyone in inner London feels the need to drive their children to school, other than in exceptional circumstances, is beyond my comprehension. Needless to say, a great many parents do.

Among the epic tribulations that have been my efforts to have a new driveway constructed:
(see https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/a-drive-fit-for-a-cali.16059/)
Has been a desire to have bike stands installed at the front of the house. This is so the boys have no excuse against cycling to school.

We live in an inner London suburb, there must be six primary schools within a mile of our home. Why anyone in inner London feels the need to drive their children to school, other than in exceptional circumstances, is beyond my comprehension. Needless to say, a great many parents do.

As a kid myself I cycled to school, primary and secondary. As an adult I cycled to London and back every day to work (I live near to Bexleyheath so not far from you in Greenwich!) for over five years, and bloody loved it!

I couldn’t agree more about kids cycling to school, sadly I’d never allow my two to do it, its way too dangerous, and there are no cycling routes anywhere near their school, which is truly rubbish :Depressed Bexley borough are not remotely interested in getting anyone on bikes, sadly.

It's a Catch22. Its not safe enough to cycle, so everyone drives, which is why it isn’t safe to cycle....:sad

I will have a reasonable deposit so cost not my bigger factor to be honest (though yeah this thing is gonna be crazy expensive!). But I would like a comfortable, robust interior and a good resale value (you never know what the future holds). So I think Ocean is better for me than a conversion.

Really interesting thread Mike.

My thoughts/observations...

Resale value is important...the resale value of genuine Volkswagen Camper vans is renowned for good reason...people will pay more for the quality.
Also, you will get much lower residual £ on a Left Hand Drive than a RHD in the UK.

You need UK registered you say..so RHD UK model again?

Conversion Vs VW Converted...Night and Day...

As many here have pointed out the attention to detail, both in terms of safety and quality of fitments points to VW. Look at the quality of materials, the way seats move on aluminium rails, the clever use of space for kitchen table (on aluminium slider) Outside table (stowed in sliding door) and aluminium chairs fitted into rear door, plus the fact that all the cupboards have rounded corners with cover curved shutters that again slide in aluminium rails.

Blinds..most conversions I have seen require you to fit separate material pieces individually to most windows...fiddly and there have to be stowed somewhere. As mentioned earlier the Ocean has fitted blinds that slide down or across channels on all windows except the driver and passenger door (magnetic and fitted in seconds) ones for obvious reasons. Add this to tinted windows and you are in your own world.

As Granny Jen said...it's so well integrated...and everything works

Also compare electric systems, heating systems and TUV German safety ratings for a vehicle that was built for purpose.

Sliding door on the right issue...I found that always parking with the kerb on the driver's side works a treat...voila!

I also love the idea of two tone paint, so within a week of when I collect my new Ocean on March 1st it will become two tone. If you can't do it straight away then do it later.

Finally..welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions...everyone on this forum is very happy to help. :)

That's a good point - I hadn't thought of that! Hmmm. Not gonna be an easy decision this!

Really interesting thread Mike.

My thoughts/observations...

Resale value is important...the resale value of genuine Volkswagen Camper vans is renowned for good reason...people will pay more for the quality.
Also, you will get much lower residual £ on a Left Hand Drive than a RHD in the UK.

You need UK registered you say..so RHD UK model again?

Conversion Vs VW Converted...Night and Day...

As many here have pointed out the attention to detail, both in terms of safety and quality of fitments points to VW. Look at the quality of materials, the way seats move on aluminium rails, the clever use of space for kitchen table (on aluminium slider) Outside table (stowed in sliding door) and aluminium chairs fitted into rear door, plus the fact that all the cupboards have rounded corners with cover curved shutters that again slide in aluminium rails.

Blinds..most conversions I have seen require you to fit separate material pieces individually to most windows...fiddly and there have to be stowed somewhere. As mentioned earlier the Ocean has fitted blinds that slide down or across channels on all windows except the driver and passenger door (magnetic and fitted in seconds) ones for obvious reasons. Add this to tinted windows and you are in your own world.

As Granny Jen said...it's so well integrated...and everything works

Also compare electric systems, heating systems and TUV German safety ratings for a vehicle that was built for purpose.

Sliding door on the right issue...I found that always parking with the kerb on the driver's side works a treat...voila!

I also love the idea of two tone paint, so within a week of when I collect my new Ocean on March 1st it will become two tone. If you can't do it straight away then do it later.

Finally..welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions...everyone on this forum is very happy to help. :)

Hey thanks for such a considered reply wrinkly-ninja! My heart and brain are clearly with Ocean and against conversion now. I think they were from the start, but the response on the forums has confirmed that my thinking is sound. And I am comfortable with all the blind arrangements now. Yay.

re: LHD vs RHD - my hearts says LHD with two-tone. But my brain says RHD. I suspect the brain will win out. Damn I like that two-tone tho :upsidedown:bananadance2

Next step is for me to keep stewing on it all and maybe visit another dealer for another look around. And bring the gf this time so she can get excited about it all too! So far she has only been nosing online and at the brochure.

I am just loving the two-tone. Those lucky French! Ashamed to say a colour scheme might be influencing my LD/RHD decision even if just a little bit ;). Its a complicated cali-world out there!
Don't forget if you buy a LHD Cali from the continent there is another model to choose from, the "Coast". Not available in the UK this is a cheaper mid spec Ocean with a manual ( more reliable ) roof etc. Check it out, gives you another option.

I'm the owner of a LHD Cali living in UK, but usually getting to Europe for at least a couple of weeks a year. Due to size of windows and mirrors, there are no real downsides.

My early Cali, being a European version has many of the goodies which are only just coming out on the T6 (integrated screens for front windows, car like non industrial dashboard etc.)

With regards the conversion debate. As well as all the good points made to date, the factory heating is also another massive point in favour of the OEM Cali. Also the material used to make the wardrobes, kitchen units is really lightweight (yet strong) aluminium honeycomb covered material. I really don't think convertors use these quality of materials.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'm the owner of a LHD Cali living in UK, but usually getting to Europe for at least a couple of weeks a year. Due to size of windows and mirrors, there are no real downsides.

My early Cali, being a European version has many of the goodies which are only just coming out on the T6 (integrated screens for front windows, car like non industrial dashboard etc.)

With regards the conversion debate. As well as all the good points made to date, the factory heating is also another massive point in favour of the OEM Cali. Also the material used to make the wardrobes, kitchen units is really lightweight (yet strong) aluminium honeycomb covered material. I really don't think convertors use these quality of materials.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hey Gavinskii. Did you purposely seek out a LHD? If so, why?