Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

newbie with some really basic and silly questions!

I am just loving the two-tone. Those lucky French! Ashamed to say a colour scheme might be influencing my LD/RHD decision even if just a little bit ;). Its a complicated cali-world out there!
lol!

It's a Catch22. Its not safe enough to cycle, so everyone drives, which is why it isn’t safe to cycle....:sad
My street is in three London Boroughs: the Lewisham/Greenwich boundary goes down the middle of the road and Bromley is at the bottom of the road.

Lewisham is lovely for cyclists now, the entire borough is 20mph limit except red routes, and this limit is imposed on both sides of our road.

Hey Gavinskii. Did you purposely seek out a LHD? If so, why?
Yes I did because
1) I'd had 2 previous T4 Calis -only available as LHD + a whole load of US import splitties over the last decade or so and I know they are easy to live with.
2) The spec was far higher on the European models than the UK
3) Stronger sterling, made buying a Euro priced bus quite favourable (at that time).
4) I tend to ski in Europe in Winter and holiday in Europe in the Summer so was a bit of a no brainer for me.

Yes I did because
1) I'd had 2 previous T4 Calis -only available as LHD + a whole load of US import splitties over the last decade or so and I know they are easy to live with.
2) The spec was far higher on the European models than the UK
3) Stronger sterling, made buying a Euro priced bus quite favourable (at that time).
4) I tend to ski in Europe in Winter and holiday in Europe in the Summer so was a bit of a no brainer for me.

Tthanks gavinskii, I can see how that makes sense for you. Any drawbacks that you see to owning a LHD when based in the UK?

"......also the reason I wanted to divide the cab / living area on occasion - because I want the vehicle to look unoccupied (ie. you can see into the cab) whilst I am in the back behind a divider. Again it's about the times I am in the city. In the country or a campsite it isn't such an issue......"

I think I know what you mean - you don't want the van to be noticed as a camper while you are inside it?

I have parked up in front of a nice hotel ( in a dodgy area) within security camera view, and happily aware that night security man was nearby. I didn't rotate seats, and didn't put up any blinds in cab. I simply hung a dark grey blanket over the head rests so that they sectioned off the cab area and I closed all blinds in the back so that I was totally private. The van would have looked like a regular panel van from the outside.

It is an interesting place to sleep - like you are a hotel guest . . . in your own bedroom . . . with your own things . . . without having had to 'move in' . . . have a drink in the bar and use the loo last thing at night . . . and first thing next morning . . .[/quote][/quote]

Last edited:
As someone said, there are no silly questions - if you need to know, they are just questions!

With total cost and residual value in mind - I didn't want to spend what a new Cali would cost (well I might have but was dissuaded). I still spent quite a lot on a 9 year old SE that i simply fell in love with when I went to look at something else. It was in fabulous condition and people find it hard to believe it's that old - I have a waiting list of people who want to know when I shall be selling it on! So it was great value, still looks and drives like new, but left me with plenty of change to buy the extras which you WILL find you 'must have'!

Just another option, buy good secondhand (mine also came with some of the extras already included - sides for the awning, memory foam mattress, stick on thermal blinds for cab windows, etc).

"......also the reason I wanted to divide the cab / living area on occasion - because I want the vehicle to look unoccupied (ie. you can see into the cab) whilst I am in the back behind a divider. Again it's about the times I am in the city. In the country or a campsite it isn't such an issue......"

I think I know what you mean - you don't want the van to be noticed as a camper while you are inside it?
. . .
[/quote][/QUOTE]

Yup - that's about right :Stig

Dear all. I took me 14 months to get there... but I just wanted to say that I did end up getting a Cali :upsidedown. But not a new one! The details of what I got:

- 2006 T5 European spec, automatic
- Left Hand Drive
- Integrated blinds in the front windscreen (because its a European model)
- ok, it's not two tone, but it is a lovely metallic green and I am going to call her … 'Jade'

And I am currently away in Germany with Jade and it's great. I wanted thank everyone who answered all my newbie questions last year. Now I'll need to start up a new topic to answer all my newbie owner questions!

cheers

Mike

Just seen this thread for the first time and as I was reading it from the first post, I was thinking that a used California might be the thing for you :). Great minds think alike I suppose :thumb

Enjoy your California. I'm off to Germany in July, such a beautiful country to explore. Have a great time.

Dear all. I took me 14 months to get there... but I just wanted to say that I did end up getting a Cali :upsidedown. But not a new one! The details of what I got:

- 2006 T5 European spec, automatic
- Left Hand Drive
- Integrated blinds in the front windscreen (because its a European model)
- ok, it's not two tone, but it is a lovely metallic green and I am going to call her … 'Jade'

And I am currently away in Germany with Jade and it's great. I wanted thank everyone who answered all my newbie questions last year. Now I'll need to start up a new topic to answer all my newbie owner questions!

cheers

Mike

Nice to read Mike!
Happy camping and enjoy Germany! There are great places to camp!
cheers