Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New satnavs are data driven - so not useable without a phone attached?

Dottie

Dottie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I am looking to get a new satnav but I want to use it abroad when I may not have data and in places where there may not be data.
I'm confused cos I'm told that unless I have data from my phone, the satnav will not work.
Does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm looking at an Alpine 720.

The data should only be for the download of the maps (location).
But this should be stored either on localy offline onthe device or SD card of some sorts.
Otherwhise the GPRS data us used from the antenna (longitude and latitude). But this does not use data trafic as far as I know.
But I could be wrong.

When you are looking for navigation only (no warnings for road work and heavy traffic for instance): apps exist with maps to download, like mappy.cz.

Use GoogleMaps and download the country file for where you are. If you lose signal you wont get real time traffic info, else the rest is fine. Just click your profile inside GoogleMaps and choose "Offline Maps" to select where you want a map for. You will need a GB of space per full size map.

In built Satnav is a waste of time now.
Apple CarPlay and Android auto have made this obsolete. Real time traffic information, easier navigation and clearer maps/context in the phone apps maps.

Get an E sim for European data use

Many thanks all. i think I’ve got it now….

To download country maps before leaving & satnav will pick up my position via satellite and not use data.
the only thing I won’t get is real time traffic info.

so I’ll spend today (when huddling in my van out of the wind and rain) deciding on the actual Satnav. This is quite timely cos my 10 year old unit has just given up the ghost…..but I have my garmin camper Satnav with me…..but find Google maps to be so much better!

I don't see the point of a dedicated satnav any more.

We've just spent four weeks in France and never used a dedicated satnav at all. We use Google maps on a smart phone and where needed Search for Sites to find overnight stops which will interface with Google maps (and others) to provide directions.

I was surprised to find that the Ordnance Survey App basic version will also give me a reasonable hand held map of French (maybe more of Europe) local areas whilst I have a GSM signal.

There was one minor downside of using a phone whilst in France in August this year, the phone got too hot in a holder on the windscreen!

The VW navigation does work reasonably well but ours in a 2016 T6 does not automatically update so can be out of date quite quickly. It's good for a general map of the road layout at your current location which can be useful if you are a competent map reader.

Omg!

now, my scenario is that if I go abroad and only have 63 days with my data package for remote use, then thereafter, I’ll have no data.
so if the Alpine 705 works only with CarPlay and has no built in navigation system, thisll mean it won’t work at all unless I have data…?

@Dottie consider getting a local SIM-card, will only cost you a couple of euro/pound/whatever and will get you enough data to get by...

Omg!

now, my scenario is that if I go abroad and only have 63 days with my data package for remote use, then thereafter, I’ll have no data.
so if the Alpine 705 works only with CarPlay and has no built in navigation system, thisll mean it won’t work at all unless I have data…?
Just buy a EU data sim and connect your phone to that. It will then use the data sim for maps and not your phone data. You'd have to go away a lot for that cost to be more than a dedicated old school unit (was unaware these even still existed...). Alternatively as said above, just download the maps on Google. It's super simple and you can pickup wifi at most sites or towns to download your next map. The GPS is ran via satellites, so no data is needed for that.

Many thanks!
Ahah! Light dawns!
So, I think I’ll get the Alpine 705. I won’t get the Navi stick which Im now thinking will be to make it work as the old style Satnav built in system.
Instead, for my longer trips outwith the 63 days roaming I get with my existing package, I’ll connect my phone to my mifi with its data only sim a EU….and that’ll work with the satnav!

have I got it right?

But…if it only works with CarPlay and doesn’t need data….why would I need a mifi?

I could download maps before I go or by using WiFi
id accept that I’d not get live traffic reports
would it work with my CarPlay compatible iPhone, with no data connection?

thanks For your help…it’ll be an expensive mistake if I get it wrong and/or don’t understand

If you have downloaded the maps in advance (you can do this in the Google Maps app) you don't need data and you can happily navigate using CarPlay. The GPS signal itself doesn't require a data connection. Data however is very handy for traffic information and to do dynamic routing based on that. I use it all the time, even on well known routes just not to get caught up in a traffic jam.

Back