Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

I’m with you Bob, ordered ours 4th March ‘21, if it arrives next Feb/March at least it won’t be sitting on the drive all winter - might even get ‘22 plates. Any idea your queue number? A few weeks back ours was at 526.
Didn’t think to ask. It’ll be behind yours because I paid the deposit mid March and I bet it didn’t get ordered straight away!
Shipping will take longer as well I’d imagine, I assumed they’d go by road or rail but I think they actually stick em on a boat Emden to Santander?

Strangely, I ordered a Coast at the same time and VW chat have come back with week 38 as provisional build time. Do you have a queue position? Mine was 408.
Forgot to ask, I’ll see if I can find out the queue number.

Still waiting for our Coast, VW chat said it arrived at the dealer last Friday, dealer says it's not there, and is now not replying to e-mails. This part has by far been the worst bit, it was going fairly smoothly. It arrived in the country 19th April!

Edit: Sorry, initially wrote March by mistake, it's not that bad yet :D

Last edited:
Still waiting for our Coast, VW chat said it arrived at the dealer last Friday, dealer says it's not there, and is now not replying to e-mails. This part has by far been the worst bit, it was going fairly smoothly. It arrived in the country 19th April!

Edit: Sorry, initially wrote March by mistake, it's not that bad yet :D
Hi Bartley,
ask VW to confirm what day it was delivered to the dealer? then use this info to advise the dealer you know it’s there.

When your dealer does admit to having your van, specifically ask if it has had any remedial works, repairs etc. Ask for that in writing in case of future issue.

Make sure you inspect it comprehensively in bright daylight to all check paintwork / panels etc etc.

Why: the dealer may be buying time to carry out repairs

Hi Bartley,
ask VW to confirm what day it was delivered to the dealer? then use this info to advise the dealer you know it’s there.

When your dealer does admit to having your van, specifically ask if it has had any remedial works, repairs etc. Ask for that in writing in case of future issue.

Make sure you inspect it comprehensively in bright daylight to all check paintwork / panels etc etc.

Why: the dealer may be buying time to carry out repairs
Thanks for that, will do. I was hoping there was nothing suspicious about it but it's starting to concern me now.

Thanks for that, will do. I was hoping there was nothing suspicious about it but it's starting to concern me now.
Alternatively, I heard a rumour they hang on to it as demonstrator for a while and you collect it with mileage on the clock?!??! VWCV Live Chat confirmed mine arrived at the dealers on Tuesday night after 9 days at Grimsby.

For forum reference, that's 7 months virtually to the day from factory order acceptance to arrival at the van centre...crikey.

Last edited:
Alternatively, I heard a rumour they hang on to it as demonstrator for a while and you collect it with mileage on the clock?!??! VWCV Live Chat confirmed mine arrived at the dealers on Tuesday night after 9 days at Grimsby.

For forum reference, that's 7 months virtually to the day from factory order acceptance to arrival at the van centre...crikey.
We're having it delivered so I'm not sure we'd know any different!
Are you far from your dealer? If not, I would be dropping in unannounced.

I hope it all works out, they are great vehicles but the buying process is rubbish. :thumb
Too far away I'm afraid, otherwise that's a good idea!

On to VW chat now, it arrived a week ago. Chat are getting on the phone to them now to see what's up.

We're having it delivered so I'm not sure we'd know any different!

Too far away I'm afraid, otherwise that's a good idea!

On to VW chat now, it arrived a week ago. Chat are getting on the phone to them now to see what's up.
Are you having a driver bring it down or is it coming on a low loader?

Just had call from dealer, all clarified, all being well delivery early next week.
Moral of the story, don’t trust VW chat, even after build week!

Willing to trust the dealer on this one that the van hasn't actually arrived, and chat admitted their info might not be accurate.
What is the point of an information service that admits its information might not be accurate. Oh yes, sorry l forgot, it's a VW information service.

I found out yesterday having ordered my Ocean in October and told early this year i was 113 in the queue that my vechicle is now in the UK at the docks and I could potentially pick up a week tomorrow
So from being totally fed up waiting I am now super excited. What's kept my motivation has been support from members and working through my list of things to buy

Very difficult situation with component supplies at present as we all know.
I spoke to a dealer today who told me that last week he had to inform a customer that their Cali had slipped from May to June and then this week it unexpectedly arrived in the UK!
I know the dealers are getting a lot of stick but the above highlights the problems even they have in getting accurate build updates.
I was told ours had moved to June by the dealer, however VW chat are adamant it will be built week 21. Wish they would get their acts together between them.

Hi,

To add to this point, i waited 8 months for mine to be ready for collection and had lots of good advice on this forum, but also got caught up in a lot of the hype and fear created by bits of stories and non specific facts that were potentially causing delays. I was one of those people that told my dealer to remove the options that were causing the delay only to find out they were not the cause of the issue, I also got caught up in the frenzy that appeared to result as a consequence of the new addblue tank driving an increased weight issue that was making the 204 4 motion problematic from a payload perspective, again it turned out to be nothing but irrational fear from me driven my snippets of information and my own paranoia and thirst for information. We then had the BREXIT duty increase trama which again had a net impact of £0 and did not meaningfully impact anything.

In the end i have exactly the van i wanted with all the options i asked for, yes it was later than i was promised when i ordered it, but it was also many months sooner that some of the updates from VW predicted and earlier than some other people of this forum expected.

Until you hit a confirmed build week status I do not believe anyone on this forum or at VW can give you any accurate prediction so you have to sit tight, and keep asking for updates, yes its frustrating but on that final occasion when you move from unconfirmed to confirmed you can start to plan and in reality you will still have more than enough weeks and months to buy everything you may want/need.

I learned through the process, that is a very unnerving bordering on unpleasant buying experience, but i also believe everyone i interacted with without exception did try to assist me, however VW do have some very cumbersome and inefficient business processes, which frustrate both the end consumer and the customer facing employees.

Have I mellowed in the 4 days i have had my vehicle? you bet i have its a fantastic product, so i urge everyone waiting to sit tight and wait for the dream to become a reality. One thing for certain is I will own the vehicle far longer that it took me to get it in the first place so all in all i win!
So VW chat have assured me we have a confirmed Build week of 21 (17 May - week on Monday) they have assured me there are no foreseeable reasons for any delays with my build. Should I start to get excited??? The dealership are telling me it’s going to be a June build as they have a different list. Properly confused and irritated by this.

I found out yesterday having ordered my Ocean in October and told early this year i was 113 in the queue that my vechicle is now in the UK at the docks and I could potentially pick up a week tomorrow
So from being totally fed up waiting I am now super excited. What's kept my motivation has been support from members and working through my list of things to buy
Do you mind me asking what spec? We ordered ours in September and apparently won’t start build for at least 2 more weeks, subject to delays of course. Bet you are so excited to receive delivery, enjoy

So VW chat have assured me we have a confirmed Build week of 21 (17 May - week on Monday) they have assured me there are no foreseeable reasons for any delays with my build. Should I start to get excited??? The dealership are telling me it’s going to be a June build as they have a different list. Properly confused and irritated by this.
There is a whole raft of us that seem to have been promised 17th May. I'm still holding off on the excitement with all this chat of vans languishing at the ports for weeks, or disappearing after landing in the UK !

There is a whole raft of us that seem to have been promised 17th May. I'm still holding off on the excitement with all this chat of vans languishing at the ports for weeks, or disappearing after landing in the UK !
Indeed, however, there seemed to be a whole raft of us who ordered at the end of September too. Think the build week that’s confirmed might be another VW Pinocchio moment

What is the point of an information service that admits its information might not be accurate. Oh yes, sorry l forgot, it's a VW information service.
Chat seem to only be good for telling you the status code of your order without speaking to someone. If the dealer just texted me that every month I wouldn’t ever contact Chat. I wonder if anyone does after delivery?

Chat seem to only be good for telling you the status code of your order without speaking to someone. If the dealer just texted me that every month I wouldn’t ever contact Chat. I wonder if anyone does after delivery?
Hey @66tim99 i've just had an update on our Ocean 4Mo Ascot Grey that's had parts delays due to Sports Pack and tow bar electric shortages. We now have a status 20 confirmed build week of... Week 23. In to build 7th June (2021). I was No.53 with a factory acceptance 5th October (2020). I know you have similar spec and order time to me...

For the conspiracy theorists, VW Chat said it would be week 24 back in January...

Sorry to ask (I'm a newbie I'm afraid) - If I go to VW Chat what info will they ask me for?

Sorry to ask (I'm a newbie I'm afraid) - If I go to VW Chat what info will they ask me for?
Hi - They would like your 8 digit order number, but can find the order with other info like postcode / dealer etc.

Back