Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

I was given my order number as soon as the order was taken by the dealer (I went via a broker so that took two days). I'd contact the dealer and get them to confirm.
Yup, I've sent an e-mail today. Did you use it to contact VW Chat early on? I've heard it can take some time from dealer order to appearing on their system which I just wanted to clarify.

Yup, I've sent an e-mail today. Did you use it to contact VW Chat early on? I've heard it can take some time from dealer order to appearing on their system which I just wanted to clarify.
My 8 digit ‘order number’ (asked for by Chat) was on a pdf sheet titled ‘Order Detail’ emailed to me by the dealer about a week after I placed the order, I think when the order was accepted by the factory. Dealers have been known to sit on orders for quota reasons. I’d ask fir a copy of your Order Detail asap

I've never contacted VW Chat (Ordered nearly 4 months ago), from the discussions in this thread it seems pointless as the information they give doesn't seem that accurate until the van moves into/beyond build. I got the same 'order detail' sheet as Tim via email from the the dealer - worth chasing that in the first instance.

My 8 digit ‘order number’ (asked for by Chat) was on a pdf sheet titled ‘Order Detail’ emailed to me by the dealer about a week after I placed the order, I think when the order was accepted by the factory. Dealers have been known to sit on orders for quota reasons. I’d ask fir a copy of your Order Detail asap
Thanks for this. I have a comprehensive vehicle order form with everything relevant included but I don't have an 'Order Detail' form. I've e-mailed my contact so hopefully I'll receive it on Monday.

Well folks, we have done it, we have payed the deposit on a Crossover Camping Vehicle, or better known as a caravan, yes iv reached a certain age and I no longer care what people think of me and my life choices
The December California order is being cancelled tomorrow, we will definitely buy a Cali in the future, but probably wait around for the new T7,
For us, the only real downside from swapping the California to a caravan would be a longer journey time due to speed limits, and obviously the not so cool image,
Never owned a caravan, so looking forward to giving it a go, but I promise not to flip it across the M5 and delay half the population heading south on their summer holidays
We are proper excited as it’s going to be a giggle, we hope..

Last edited:
I am still absolutely amazed (in a bad way) is how random the deliveries look. I have been reading since December when we order the van, and I see people ordering in October getting the van now, or even they got it already and other don't even have a factory confirmed date. Also specs don't seem to be the reason in all cases.. WTF do they do? they put all orders in a box and they take a random one?
insane...

I am still absolutely amazed (in a bad way) is how random the deliveries look. I have been reading since December when we order the van, and I see people ordering in October getting the van now, or even they got it already and other don't even have a factory confirmed date. Also specs don't seem to be the reason in all cases.. WTF do they do? they put all orders in a box and they take a random one?
insane...
I’m not sure but my understanding is each dealer gets a certain number of builds/allocations per month they can fulfill, assuming larger dealers get more slots, when I called around to order my beach in March I had several dealers saying no build slots till September/October some later than that and breeze said they had build slot for July still. Ordered in March and just gone to status 20 with a confirmed build date of week 22 (31st July) and that’s with a Towbar as well

insane...
I think you (and I) just ordered at the wrong time, as the problems really started. Now, I think it's clear that if you want a new Cali, it'll arrive in 2022. At the time of order, we were told appx. 9 mths.. it's now looking like 12 mths.

What really sucks for you is being told June, so you expected some summer use. I was told October so was not expecting to use it much til Easter 2022.

I hope we get some (good) surprise updates later...

exactly @bob_summers! I was expecting June, max July...
I am not buying the van to do 15 days - 1 month holidays in summer (in a normal life where covid is not there, I would travel overseas somewhere to another continent). I mainly want it for weekends in Switzerland and neighbouring countries and as a regular car, so it is not that my summer holiday plans are dead now, but I was dreaming already with summer lakes and autumn gateways...
Now I guess I need to dream with snow...

Regarding the dealers having some slots in the UK... here in Switzerland is different, there is mainly a big dealer all over the country so not much chances to get a better deal (both price and delivery).

I am not buying the van to do 15 days - 1 month holidays in summer (in a normal life where covid is not there, I would travel overseas somewhere to another continent). I mainly want it for weekends in Switzerland and neighbouring countries and as a regular car, so it is not that my summer holiday plans are dead now, but I was dreaming already with summer lakes and autumn gateways...

Regarding the dealers having some slots in the UK... here in Switzerland is different, there is mainly a big dealer all over the country so not much chances to get a better deal (both price and delivery).
Sorry I completely missed that you are in Switzerland

I received my order number today, having contacted the dealer to request this. I contacted Live Chat just to confirm it was on their system. This was confirmed as apparently the order number is populated by virtue of my order actually appearing on the VW system.

I hadn’t asked about lead times as I expect to wait a year but was advised that only the Van Centre has details of build weeks and dates and that I should contact them. Apparently this isn’t forever but until ‘the system stops being affected by the global pandemic.’

Unsure if this is nonsense or not but I’m not too fussed as a I expect to wait.

I received my order number today, having contacted the dealer to request this. I contacted Live Chat just to confirm it was on their system. This was confirmed as apparently the order number is populated by virtue of my order actually appearing on the VW system.

I hadn’t asked about lead times as I expect to wait a year but was advised that only the Van Centre has details of build weeks and dates and that I should contact them. Apparently this isn’t forever but until ‘the system stops being affected by the global pandemic.’

Unsure if this is nonsense or not but I’m not too fussed as a I expect to wait.
It's not nonsense - the dealers have a separate list for Californias right now (due to demand I think?) so the chat has been giving out false info, especially before build. Good to see they're finally refusing to give info because whatever they say is not likely to make you feel any better, it's so erratic. If I had to wait again I would hardly ever contact online chat and pester my dealer a bit more for monthly updates.

It's not nonsense - the dealers have a separate list for Californias right now (due to demand I think?) so the chat has been giving out false info, especially before build. Good to see they're finally refusing to give info because whatever they say is not likely to make you feel any better, it's so erratic. If I had to wait again I would hardly ever contact online chat and pester my dealer a bit more for monthly updates.
Interesting. I hadn’t actually asked about dates or anything but I think the chap assumed that’s what I wanted to know. I was just keen to confirm they had my order.

Last year my van waited 2 MONTHS for VW to find a tow bar. It literally sat in Hanover waiting for that one part. German efficiency?
Crazy that they will start a build when they might not have all the parts, I’m still not holding out hope for mine being delivered anytime soon

Ordered 204 4motion with tow bar on 30sept. From what I understand it’s now in the U.K. and I should hopefully be able to pick it up next week. Given the rollercoaster ride so far I’m expecting a few more twists and turns!
Same order date as mine, I also have the 204 and tow bar option. Supposed to be commencing build next week.

Same order date as mine, I also have the 204 and tow bar option. Supposed to be commencing build next week.
Same order, same date, probably 6 weeks behind to be built... can’t be “building in strict date order” then

I’ll have a tenner at 2/1 of mine not being delivered in June as mooted
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
There seems to be quite a few of us (Coasts and Oceans) been given status 20 for a 17th May start. #keepthefaith eh?

Hi all, I would say sit tight and they will eventually come through. It’s very frustrating and live chat and the ‘status updates’ can make it worse at times. Wo ordered our 204 ocean 4 motion on 29th Sep and I think we’re around #50 in the queue. It arrived at Grimsby yesterday so hopefully will be ours by the end of may, a full 8 months after ordering!

Ours is build week 20 confirmed, so 17th May, which in my head is equating to an early July pick up. 2 weeks for production, then 4-6 weeks for transit / PDI etc.

Having been to the factories and seen the production line for the T6 and then the Cali factory, the Cali bit just doesn’t happen quickly, and that was pre-covid. It’s great to see, but when you know how much of the Cali bit is manually done by hand, be it fitting canvases to roofs, fitting bonded roof panels in, interior fitment etc etc, it all takes time.

The covered lorry that takes the base T6 Cali shells to the other side of the city to the Cali conversion factory only takes 3 at a time...

I think they are also the importer, right? There is not a "VW Switzerland" which may be the reason why we have even less information about our orders than those customers in the UK. I would have thought Switzerland would be a big customer for Californias judging by the amount I see on the roads (you see California's here like you see Ford Focuses in the UK, that's no exaggeration) and would therefore think that information to customers about new orders might be more forthcoming.

Ours is build week 20 confirmed, so 17th May, which in my head is equating to an early July pick up. 2 weeks for production, then 4-6 weeks for transit / PDI etc.

Having been to the factories and seen the production line for the T6 and then the Cali factory, the Cali bit just doesn’t happen quickly, and that was pre-covid. It’s great to see, but when you know how much of the Cali bit is manually done by hand, be it fitting canvases to roofs, fitting bonded roof panels in, interior fitment etc etc, it all takes time.

The covered lorry that takes the base T6 Cali shells to the other side of the city to the Cali conversion factory only takes 3 at a time...
Mine was build week 10, w/cMarch 8th. Took 2 weeks to get to the port! Hooray. BUT then stood there for the best part of 5 WEEKS before getting on a ship to Grimsby. Stayed at Grimsby for 10 days, then moved to the dealership exactly a week ago and they won't reply to my emails!!!!! The moral of the story is.....it might be better to bank on 8-10 weeks from production to dealership so as not to be disappointed. I still haven't got my hands on the van!

Mine was build week 10, w/cMarch 8th. Took 2 weeks to get to the port! Hooray. BUT then stood there for the best part of 5 WEEKS before getting on a ship to Grimsby. Stayed at Grimsby for 10 days, then moved to the dealership exactly a week ago and they won't reply to my emails!!!!! The moral of the story is.....it might be better to bank on 8-10 weeks from production to dealership so as not to be disappointed. I still haven't got my hands on the van!

Crazy isn't it how variable these things are. When we ordered and had our T6 Ocean delivered it sat in Germany for a while after being built because of an emissions issue and the requirement of a ECU software fix to be applied before it was sent over to the UK! It almost makes me feel sorry for VW how complicated getting a vehicle built and on the road has become.

Back