Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

That hasn't been my experience. We ordered early September, were given a build week of 45 which then became 44. Was told earlier this week the van was in transit to the port. I'm assuming the chatline is accurate. I was beginning to think that because we ordered a 4motion that VW were trying to maximise production before the new emission regs. But it is interesting to hear other theories.
I did caveat my statement with ”almost”.:)

well the van is finally off the line and waiting a train to Emden.

Last edited:
I left it for a week or so but managed to get Beth on the chat today, here is the latest update for my 190(204?)PS Ocean Ascot Grey 4 Motion with Media Pro and 17" Woodstock and 80L Fuel Tank;

Thank you for waiting Russell, so I have spoken with our Sales Support Team and they have confirmed that the order slots are completely full for this year which is why there is no update yet on a build week. Your vehicle will be built next year so will most likely not have a build week until end of December/beginning of January, as Factory will usually confirm a build week 4 weeks before it is due to go into production. So the best thing to do would be to come back to us at the end of December and we will hopefully have an update on a predicted build week for you.
Beth is very helpful, most of them cut & paste their answers.
I just had a call off VW Customer Support after ranting somewhat on the chat earlier this week. The lady I spoke to was very understanding and apologetic and basically confirmed what Beth has said. So I'm not going to chase up a build date until after Christmas. Time to relax for a bit!....

Beth is very helpful, most of them cut & paste their answers.
I just had a call off VW Customer Support after ranting somewhat on the chat earlier this week. The lady I spoke to was very understanding and apologetic and basically confirmed what Beth has said. So I'm not going to chase up a build date until after Christmas. Time to relax for a bit!....
Yes chill Phil, I can’t see them in their Germanic rule obedient way not confirming the build weeks until a week or two before actual build week. I would expect them to release a provisional build week though, that must be in the rule book to do also. I lived there for 12 years I sort of know the mindset..... bloody loved it, and the orderly culture.

Well my week 44 is now finished from production line and this was my update on the chat lineF1959FFF-91C3-44D2-BCC8-50BD378D1C25.png

Week 47 build update: Dealer confirmed our new T6.1 in Indium Grey is expected to be ready last week December/first week of January which is amazing and way before the predicted timescale of April. Then she advised they will deliver it to us due to the longer handover (a journey of 300 miles)........Ehh I don't think so. We will be collecting our shiny new wheels and there aint nobody gonna be driving it before us !! I can do a long handover, no problemo !!

I left it for a week or so but managed to get Beth on the chat today, here is the latest update for my 190(204?)PS Ocean Ascot Grey 4 Motion with Media Pro and 17" Woodstock and 80L Fuel Tank;

Thank you for waiting Russell, so I have spoken with our Sales Support Team and they have confirmed that the order slots are completely full for this year which is why there is no update yet on a build week. Your vehicle will be built next year so will most likely not have a build week until end of December/beginning of January, as Factory will usually confirm a build week 4 weeks before it is due to go into production. So the best thing to do would be to come back to us at the end of December and we will hopefully have an update on a predicted build week for you.
Interesting as we have a provisional build week of 6 in Feb, which doesn't go with what Beth said about not allocating until 4 weeks before.

Just to add we've ordered a Coast, but not sure that should make any difference

Are LHD and RHD vehicles manufactured in parallel? Or does VW accumulate a certain number of orders and then dedicate the assembly line for one or the other?

@Corradobrit , been visiting the factory twice and both times i've seen all kinds of set ups are build at thesame time on the build line . Rhd or lhd it does not matter , also builders vans , naked pick-up chassis (heading to aftermaket finischers) people carriers, all mixed in the build .
Note that a Cali is build as almost naked verhicle (inside) and transported to 2nd different plant about 10km down the road (on a lorry !) then the pop-top , kitchen unit, ect... is put on .
One of the first things done on the bottem plate / chassis is cutting the holes for the steering colum and pedals (lhd or rhd) together with a chip beeing put on witch holds all specs needed on that specific verhicle , once the chassis rols down the line of proces they use the chip to comunicate with a automatic system that brings on the parts for each verhicle specific on just in time when needed .
Most parts are deliverd in the factory just in time , meaning they have very litllle stock , there are actually trains driving in to the factory beeing unloaded with parts witch are placed close to the build line and used within very short periode of time .

Week 47 build update: Dealer confirmed our new T6.1 in Indium Grey is expected to be ready last week December/first week of January which is amazing and way before the predicted timescale of April. Then she advised they will deliver it to us due to the longer handover (a journey of 300 miles)........Ehh I don't think so. We will be collecting our shiny new wheels and there aint nobody gonna be driving it before us !! I can do a long handover, no problemo !!
Exciting!!! We are build week 49 so I guess if all goes well we would be expecting ours mid January.

When did you order? And is it 199 or 150?

Exciting!!! We are build week 49 so I guess if all goes well we would be expecting ours mid January.

When did you order? And is it 199 or 150?
Thats good news. Unfortunately, I am still waiting an update on my week 41 build! I have contacted VW support for an urgent reply on reasons for such a delay. I would be happy if I knew the reason but it can't be as simple as awaiting a part when so many other vehicles are being processed. My latest thought is that it failed some quality control and is back in the line- but who knows?

Thats good news. Unfortunately, I am still waiting an update on my week 41 build! I have contacted VW support for an urgent reply on reasons for such a delay. I would be happy if I knew the reason but it can't be as simple as awaiting a part when so many other vehicles are being processed. My latest thought is that it failed some quality control and is back in the line- but who knows?
Actually I was thinking the same when reading about the delays you experience that it could be to quality control delays but who knows...

Will post an update whe I hear more as it might help others in a similar position....
My week 43 has just been released, likewise no hint as to why it was 4 weeks, I went through the spec with fellow 43’ers and was nothing extraordinary, like you I feel there was a QC issue, and bizarrely last night I dreamt it was an airbag alarm fault and they had to replace the airbag. The mind it a wonderful thing.:)

My week 43 has just been released, likewise no hint as to why it was 4 weeks, I went through the spec with fellow 43’ers and was nothing extraordinary, like you I feel there was a QC issue, and bizarrely last night I dreamt it was an airbag alarm fault and they had to replace the airbag. The mind it a wonderful thing.:)
I agree. My mind had been doing the same! When you are spending so much you just want to be sure everything will be OK. Hope your delivery now goes smoothly!

I have to say I’m starting to get a little stressed out which takes some doing.

ordered a 199(now 204) 4 motion ocean on sept 30th. I still don’t have a build week and I’ve noticed that the Brexit tariff exemption is only valid until 31st of March. I’ve been on to VW chat and they where very clear that they couldn’t tell me when the van would be delivered and if it was past March 31st then I’m paying the tariff.

It seems incredibly unfair that after waiting 6 months and due to their inability to deliver what they promised I might get severely penalised. Especially tough to swallow knowing that i ordered a 150 today it’d be delivered in a few weeks well inside the deadline.
I wasn’t expecting a smooth ride buying a new vehicle but this is quite stressful considering the price tag so far!

ordered a 199(now 204) 4 motion ocean on sept 30th. I still don’t have a build week and I’ve noticed that the Brexit tariff exemption is only valid until 31st of March. I’ve been on to VW chat and they where very clear that they couldn’t tell me when the van would be delivered and if it was past March 31st then I’m paying the tariff.

It seems incredibly unfair that after waiting 6 months and due to their inability to deliver what they promised I might get severely penalised. Especially tough to swallow knowing that i ordered a 150 today it’d be delivered in a few weeks well inside the deadline.
I wasn’t expecting a smooth ride buying a new vehicle but this is quite stressful considering the price tag so far!
Hi. Part of me regrets buying the smaller 150 and think that, even though your wait will be longer, you will be very happy you chose the 4 motion but it would be incredibly unfair if you get hit with tax duty. Hopefully they are clearing the 150 orders quickly so that they are in a position to fulfil the 204s in time. Fingers crossed for you.

Does this ease your mind a bit?

I thought the Brexit tariff exemption was for orders placed before 2 December 2020? That’s what is says on the VW website. Doesn’t say anything about a before March 31st end date? Just says ‘subject to taking delivery on the date communicated by the van centre’. My dealer told be I’d have to pay for it and pick up within 28 days of it being ready.

Sadly there is a caveat in there that the vehicle has to be delivered before March 31st. I’ve attached the chat transcript below. Had a chat with our dealer Ben from Eurovans and although he made reassuring noises he couldn’t provide any concrete guarantees. My concern is I’m seeing folks with week 6 builds already on here and without a build date it’s going to be cutting it extremely fine. Whole thing seems very unfair.

D3C44965-B2E3-44B8-87C7-8BEB9ED38BB9.jpeg

Thanks Pat. That’s a bit rubbish then, the Brexit price freeze is meaningless if you’ve ordered a California recently (end of October for us). And there was me hoping 2021 would be better than 2020!

I can confirm VW chat are wrong you have 28 days from when the vehicle arrives in the UK after March 3rd. So we then have 28 days from whenever it consigns in the UK. This is on an in-house Volkswagen Document.

Thanks Tom. That is what my dealer said as well, quoting probably the same VW in house document. I’ve asked for confirmation anyway. Someone needs to get the VW chat folk up to speed! Hope this is better news for you Pat, and others in the same situation as us!

I can confirm VW chat are wrong you have 28 days from when the vehicle arrives in the UK after March 3rd. So we then have 28 days from whenever it consigns in the UK. This is on an in-house Volkswagen Document.
Thanks for the info Tom, so to clarify and sorry if I get this wrong...regardless of when the vehicle arrives we have 28 days to take delivery if it was ordered before dec 2nd?

Just had week 50 build confirmed by VW chat for our Ocean 150. They suggested an 8-10 week delivery time from the start of the build.

Back