Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

just been advised by VW chat that we have a confirmed build week of 17th April. I’ve asked if that will change and the chat team said no, it’s confirmed and is expected to be built as parts shortages have been allowed for. I’m hoping that with it being a confirmed build date we shouldn’t expect any further delays. We ordered ours is September 2020 so we have been very patient.
So been in build for 10 days?

thanks for that, so about 7-8 months. so maybe end of June for my order? I have been told so many things by so many people. Well, you enjoy your much deserved van and post some pics. Thanks again.
We ordered ours September. Build week is now confined for week commencing 17th May, all in the hands of the gods then for shipping and delivery. We expect mid July delivery fingers crossed we see some Summer out of it.

Had some more news from my dealer today. Last weeks new list had me at a June build if I remove the towbar and a month tbc in the second half of the year if I didn't. Kept the tow bar and today received a confirmed build date of May 17th! So in my case the list looks to be out of date within a week.

I have been told that the build could take a long time and we are very unlikely to see it for July so probably doesn't help us for this summer due to fixed holidays. But from what I understand they build the vehicle up to a point and then it will sit waiting on a towbar presumably with a lot of others waiting on the same. Sounds like a strange approach to me when they could presumably move down the list and build ones they can actually complete!

Thanks to all who have been posting their experiences which at the very least have helped us realise we're not in the minority. Happy that its progressing at last though :)
Been told a very similar story. We ordered a fully spec’d Ocean and 4 motion with the tow bars option. Just had a confirmed build week commencing 17th May.

Been told a very similar story. We ordered a fully spec’d Ocean and 4 motion with the tow bars option. Just had a confirmed build week commencing 17th May.
Lots of "17th Mays" being mentioned (Us included). A previous poster suggested it might be a RHD week?

I don’t think they work like that (ie RHD week). I say this on the basis of the visit to the factory we did a few years ago to see the T6 Cali being built.

We saw both LHD and RHD going through both the base van factory in no particular order and then the same again in the Cali factory across the other side of the city.

We might need to start a new ‘17th May Club’ thread for us all!!

I don’t think they work like that (ie RHD week). I say this on the basis of the visit to the factory we did a few years ago to see the T6 Cali being built.

We saw both LHD and RHD going through both the base van factory in no particular order and then the same again in the Cali factory across the other side of the city.

When they say 17th May confirmed build week, does that means it’s a solid build date? Mine was unconfirmed as WC 17th May for weeks on end. We have the tow bar ordered and TPS.

Sorry, I meant May. Amended my slight error.
So, in theory you should be arriving around beginning of June. Once you go to status 20 confirmed it will not change - However, for reference, mine was build week 10 (March 8th) and arrived at Grimsby....yesterday!?!?! 7 weeks later. Ordered 17th Sept, accepted at factory 5th October.

When they say 17th May confirmed build week, does that means it’s a solid build date?mine was unconfirmed as WC 17th May for weeks on end. We have the tow bar ordered and TPS
So, in theory you should be arriving around beginning of June. Once you go to status 20 confirmed it will not change - However, for reference, mine was build week 10 (March 8th) and arrived at Grimsby....yesterday!?!?! 7 weeks later. Ordered 17th Sept, accepted at factory 5th October.
we ordered ours on 29th/30th September so not too far behind you. Our order was accepted by the factory on 8th October. All this waiting is driving us nuts!

When they say 17th May confirmed build week, does that means it’s a solid build date?mine was unconfirmed as WC 17th May for weeks on end. We have the tow bar ordered and TPS

we ordered ours on 29th/30th September so not too far behind you. Our order was accepted by the factory on 8th October. All this waiting is driving us nuts!
You don't have to tell me!!!! I think we've all been driven mad by at least one stage of the process. I thought at the time waiting to go to status 20 was the worse. Breezed through the build in less than 2 weeks....then spent nearly 5 weeks stuck at status 38 waiting for a ship?! That really drove me nuts. It's the only time I started sending disgruntled emails to Autoebid/the dealership and complained on VW chat. I'm sure there are others who would say their 8+ week build was far worse?

You don't have to tell me!!!! I think we've all been driven mad by at least one stage of the process. I thought at the time waiting to go to status 20 was the worse. Breezed through the build in less than 2 weeks....then spent nearly 5 weeks stuck at status 38 waiting for a ship?! That really drove me nuts. It's the only time I started sending disgruntled emails to Autoebid/the dealership and complained on VW chat. I'm sure there are others who would say their 8+ week build was far worse?
I can totally sympathise with you. However, I’ve been trying to put the whole process out of my mind as it’s not going to happen any quicker. Realistically if it’s being built WC 17th May, I can’t see it being with us till July to be honest.

Totally agree. For the amount of money we’re spending I think they could be more communicative. It can’t be hard to automate an email when the codes change eg build week confirmed.
I’m fact, I said that on the chat and it got back to our dealer who now has the hump with us because we “complained”.
Exactly the same dates as us. Ordered sept, build started 8/3/21 and arrived at Sheerness this weekend after what was meant to be a 2 week build. Very little info available at each step. If it wasn’t for this forum I wouldn’t have know about the VW commercial chat and would have been totally in the dark!

Sorry to hear these issues are still on going.
We ordered our cali t6.1 in September 2020 expecting delivery in Feb.
Feb rolled around and we were then given build week 21... at this point we were made aware of the engine issues as we had ordered a 199 but would be changed to a 204 due to emissions issues (good old vw!).
Anyway we were then thrilled to hear that it actually got built in March and we took delivery just over a week ago. Once the van left the factory it only took 4 weeks to reach us.
Worth the wait too!

For a few different reasons we are cancelling our December order as we have be told it’s not going to be with us this year, original date was around June/July, fair enough, and given the Covid effect, I understand dates change, but we have had zero contact from dealer regarding our 69k order telling us of a further 6 month delay, I rang up asking if June Or July is still our delicious.
we will buy a used one or wait and see what becomes of the new model in a year or two.
VW will still sell the van, get it touch if you want to take our order, but it won’t be my money

For a few different reasons we are cancelling our December order as we have be told it’s not going to be with us this year, original date was around June/July, fair enough, and given the Covid effect, I understand dates change, but we have had zero contact from dealer regarding our 69k order telling us of a further 6 month delay, I rang up asking if June Or July is still our delicious.
we will buy a used one or wait and see what becomes of the new model in a year or two.
VW will still sell the van, get it touch if you want to take our order, but it won’t be my money

Sorry to hear that, super disappointing, especially the lack of communication.

I’d be interested in potentially chatting about your order, not sure how to get it touch, but will send you a private message.

It’s a ocean 4 motion
Ascot grey
Removable towbar
Upgraded seats part leather
All season tyres on 17 inch alloys

Wood floor effect
Chrome pack
Larger fuel tank
4 keys and mud flaps
Heated windscreen

Sorry about my poorly written message, should proof read my text

It’s a ocean 4 motion
Ascot grey
Removable towbar
Upgraded seats part leather
All season tyres on 17 inch alloys

Wood floor effect
Chrome pack
Larger fuel tank
4 keys and mud flaps
Heated windscreen

Sorry about my poorly written message, should proof read my text

Looks good. Not sure how to get in touch with you as I can’t PM you as you’re not signed up I don’t think.

I’ll sign up tonight, as it’s something I should have done a while ago to support the forum, hopefully we can make contact tomorrow onwards

totally agree. I'm so fed up with it all and just wished someone gave a straight answer.

I have quite a lot of sympathy for VW and for any just in time manufacturing process at the moment, as the global challenge that COVID has brought to component manufacture, shipping etc is not a straight forward thing to plan for and the California is quite a bespoke product, despite being factory built.

With regard to things like towbar shortages, this could well have been caused by a factory somewhere in the world having a shutdown due to an outbreak, thus interrupting normal supply.

Add on top of this a huge increase in demand for Californias too, plus the requirement to have RDE2 engines in place and tested before supplied, it all stacks up to delays that aren't easy to predict or give exact answers to.

The Cali conversion factory in Hannover is really quite small and thus can't just ramp up conversions to increase throughput either - even if they have stock of all component parts.

We are quite relaxed about it and when it arrives it arrives. I do recognise we have had a T6 Cali before (although don't have it now) so for us there is less new to wait for, more just continuation of what we had before.

I have quite a lot of sympathy for VW and for any just in time manufacturing process at the moment, as the global challenge that COVID has brought to component manufacture, shipping etc is not a straight forward thing to plan for and the California is quite a bespoke product, despite being factory built.

With regard to things like towbar shortages, this could well have been caused by a factory somewhere in the world having a shutdown due to an outbreak, thus interrupting normal supply.

Add on top of this a huge increase in demand for Californias too, plus the requirement to have RDE2 engines in place and tested before supplied, it all stacks up to delays that aren't easy to predict or give exact answers to.

The Cali conversion factory in Hannover is really quite small and thus can't just ramp up conversions to increase throughput either - even if they have stock of all component parts.

We are quite relaxed about it and when it arrives it arrives. I do recognise we have had a T6 Cali before (although don't have it now) so for us there is less new to wait for, more just continuation of what we had before.
There’s a bit of welcome zen calm that I’m happy to infuse

VW factory, yes I have sympathy for, very difficult situation, but if I hadn’t rang my dealer this week, inquiring about our July delivery, I wouldn’t have known the van will be delayed till January sometime, so a little shocked, I do wonder what the after sales/servicing would be like too, so back to the drawing board for us, luckily we are cash buyers so can go the used route if we see a van that suits us, but we aren’t that desperate for a van to accept poor service and be taken for granted

VW factory, yes I have sympathy for, very difficult situation, but if I hadn’t rang my dealer this week, inquiring about our July delivery, I wouldn’t have known the van will be delayed till January sometime, so a little shocked, I do wonder what the after sales/servicing would be like too, so back to the drawing board for us, luckily we are cash buyers so can go the used route if we see a van that suits us, but we aren’t that desperate for a van to accept poor service and be taken for granted
I'm curious, they actually told you it would be delayed by 6 months? All other reports seem to just say that delivery will be "some time in the second half of the year" with no definite date or length of delay, so this would be the first info I have seen of a more defined delay. I am in a similar situation in Switzerland. No info from the dealer, however, they do not appear to actually get any info from VW and so are in the dark even more than I am (because I get info from this forum). It was interesting to hear (I think on the California Chris youtube vid) that VW are allowing cancellations without a fee, but this has not been communicated to me as an option.

Back