Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

I'm curious, they actually told you it would be delayed by 6 months? All other reports seem to just say that delivery will be "some time in the second half of the year" with no definite date or length of delay, so this would be the first info I have seen of a more defined delay. I am in a similar situation in Switzerland. No info from the dealer, however, they do not appear to actually get any info from VW and so are in the dark even more than I am (because I get info from this forum). It was interesting to hear (I think on the California Chris youtube vid) that VW are allowing cancellations without a fee, but this has not been communicated to me as an option.
We have been very patient regarding the van, was told 6 to 7 months when we ordered, fair enough, we only contacted dealer by email once, asking if we were still able to keep the bigger fuel tank, that’s back in February, since then never contacted dealer or VW chat etc , so guessed our June build would come end of July, when I called this week I was told it will be built mid November, so guessing that would be delivery sometime in January.
I’m sure VW and the dealer network would love to pump out as many vans as possible, so I don’t

...don’t blame them for the Covid delays, just wasn’t informed of another long wait

Very difficult situation with component supplies at present as we all know.
I spoke to a dealer today who told me that last week he had to inform a customer that their Cali had slipped from May to June and then this week it unexpectedly arrived in the UK!
I know the dealers are getting a lot of stick but the above highlights the problems even they have in getting accurate build updates.

I have quite a lot of sympathy for VW and for any just in time manufacturing process at the moment, as the global challenge that COVID has brought to component manufacture, shipping etc is not a straight forward thing to plan for and the California is quite a bespoke product, despite being factory built.

With regard to things like towbar shortages, this could well have been caused by a factory somewhere in the world having a shutdown due to an outbreak, thus interrupting normal supply.

Add on top of this a huge increase in demand for Californias too, plus the requirement to have RDE2 engines in place and tested before supplied, it all stacks up to delays that aren't easy to predict or give exact answers to.

The Cali conversion factory in Hannover is really quite small and thus can't just ramp up conversions to increase throughput either - even if they have stock of all component parts.

We are quite relaxed about it and when it arrives it arrives. I do recognise we have had a T6 Cali before (although don't have it now) so for us there is less new to wait for, more just continuation of what we had before.
im kind of thinking like you , but i guess that still really doesnt excuse shocking communication with the very people buying its top end products , thats what piddles me off the most , total shambles and disgusting service, harsh words but here we all are not having a clue basically and finding stuff out ourselves and giving knowledge out to help others, thats surely really embarrassing for the vw company ?

Very difficult situation with component supplies at present as we all know.
I spoke to a dealer today who told me that last week he had to inform a customer that their Cali had slipped from May to June and then this week it unexpectedly arrived in the UK!
I know the dealers are getting a lot of stick but the above highlights the problems even they have in getting accurate build updates.
Hi,

To add to this point, i waited 8 months for mine to be ready for collection and had lots of good advice on this forum, but also got caught up in a lot of the hype and fear created by bits of stories and non specific facts that were potentially causing delays. I was one of those people that told my dealer to remove the options that were causing the delay only to find out they were not the cause of the issue, I also got caught up in the frenzy that appeared to result as a consequence of the new addblue tank driving an increased weight issue that was making the 204 4 motion problematic from a payload perspective, again it turned out to be nothing but irrational fear from me driven my snippets of information and my own paranoia and thirst for information. We then had the BREXIT duty increase trama which again had a net impact of £0 and did not meaningfully impact anything.

In the end i have exactly the van i wanted with all the options i asked for, yes it was later than i was promised when i ordered it, but it was also many months sooner that some of the updates from VW predicted and earlier than some other people of this forum expected.

Until you hit a confirmed build week status I do not believe anyone on this forum or at VW can give you any accurate prediction so you have to sit tight, and keep asking for updates, yes its frustrating but on that final occasion when you move from unconfirmed to confirmed you can start to plan and in reality you will still have more than enough weeks and months to buy everything you may want/need.

I learned through the process, that is a very unnerving bordering on unpleasant buying experience, but i also believe everyone i interacted with without exception did try to assist me, however VW do have some very cumbersome and inefficient business processes, which frustrate both the end consumer and the customer facing employees.

Have I mellowed in the 4 days i have had my vehicle? you bet i have its a fantastic product, so i urge everyone waiting to sit tight and wait for the dream to become a reality. One thing for certain is I will own the vehicle far longer that it took me to get it in the first place so all in all i win!

we collected ours last Friday after an 8 month wait but so sorry for those with even longer waits for their order to arrive, I can only say that i felt the same frustration you are over the lack of information and everything changing. Now of course all that anguish has gone as we have taken delivery and I have to say that it was worth the wait, we love it and we have only sat in it down the drive as it immediately went in for a body treatment but bringing it back home tomorrow. If you can forget you have ordered one and book other things for this year which in reality is the only option now but you can plan for exciting times next year. There could easily be another lock down later this year so it will be something to look forward to....I got a feed back questionnaire from VW and made clear how angry their none existent customer service made me but I doubt that will make any difference to how they operate, still it made me feel better. .... My best wishes to you all on the waiting list.

Hi,

To add to this point, i waited 8 months for mine to be ready for collection and had lots of good advice on this forum, but also got caught up in a lot of the hype and fear created by bits of stories and non specific facts that were potentially causing delays. I was one of those people that told my dealer to remove the options that were causing the delay only to find out they were not the cause of the issue, I also got caught up in the frenzy that appeared to result as a consequence of the new addblue tank driving an increased weight issue that was making the 204 4 motion problematic from a payload perspective, again it turned out to be nothing but irrational fear from me driven my snippets of information and my own paranoia and thirst for information. We then had the BREXIT duty increase trama which again had a net impact of £0 and did not meaningfully impact anything.

In the end i have exactly the van i wanted with all the options i asked for, yes it was later than i was promised when i ordered it, but it was also many months sooner that some of the updates from VW predicted and earlier than some other people of this forum expected.

Until you hit a confirmed build week status I do not believe anyone on this forum or at VW can give you any accurate prediction so you have to sit tight, and keep asking for updates, yes its frustrating but on that final occasion when you move from unconfirmed to confirmed you can start to plan and in reality you will still have more than enough weeks and months to buy everything you may want/need.

I learned through the process, that is a very unnerving bordering on unpleasant buying experience, but i also believe everyone i interacted with without exception did try to assist me, however VW do have some very cumbersome and inefficient business processes, which frustrate both the end consumer and the customer facing employees.

Have I mellowed in the 4 days i have had my vehicle? you bet i have its a fantastic product, so i urge everyone waiting to sit tight and wait for the dream to become a reality. One thing for certain is I will own the vehicle far longer that it took me to get it in the first place so all in all i win!
Fine words Dodge, i share your comments....up at Annstead Farm near you in June for a week I will wave if I see you on the road...all the best

...don’t blame them for the Covid delays, just wasn’t informed of another long wait
It’s human instinct to take it personally and want to react to the lack of service from the dealers. I have complained to VW Chat and Drive the Deal, and annoyed the dealer and myself in the process of wasting my energy.
By all means buy a Cali to use this year, but don’t cancel your order in a huff. You won’t teach VW a lesson, but you will give your dealer a bigger profit when they sell it in days when it arrives. If you fall in love with your T6 you can enjoy selling your 6.1 to an eager and grateful buyer keen to avoid the one year wait, and probably pocket a few grand in the process. If you love the spanking new 6.1 you can sell your T6 for little loss, maybe even a profit. Win win if you persevere.

After many months reading you guys I finally join!

We order a California T6.1 Ocean 150 DSG copper white mid December 2020.
We were told that delays would come because of high demand and covid and that we should expect to have it in June.

We order in Switzerland (as @stim ) and we had to call the dealer several times to get some updates. 2 months ago we were told provisional build date was mid may (according to him it would take 8 weeks as first it is made the car and then the camper part), so we could expect it by June.
We contacted him again today and.. surprised!!! Delayed again, provisional build date week 38, but he told us most likely it would arrive in December.... seriously, 1 year!

I am so sad today I want to cry! We considered 2nd hand but I really want model 6.1 (we saw a second hand T6 and is not as good), and also, being honest prices are crazy for second hand Calis that don't even have what you want (and at least in Switzerland). I am this kind of person that currently owns a New Beetle in yellow, so having the white/copper (or white/green also could make the deal) is mandatory (I even consider buying it white second hand and paint it after, but again, T6.1 no stock!)

I guess we need to wait for it, and hope that they will move the delivery in the coming months...but prfffffffff

im kind of thinking like you , but i guess that still really doesnt excuse shocking communication with the very people buying its top end products , thats what piddles me off the most , total shambles and disgusting service, harsh words but here we all are not having a clue basically and finding stuff out ourselves and giving knowledge out to help others, thats surely really embarrassing for the vw company ?
totally agree with you.

We were told that delays would come because of high demand and covid and that we should expect to have it in June.

We order in Switzerland (as @stim ) and we had to call the dealer several times to get some updates. 2 months ago we were told provisional build date was mid may (according to him it would take 8 weeks as first it is made the car and then the camper part), so we could expect it by June.
We contacted him again today and.. surprised!!! Delayed again, provisional build date week 38, but he told us most likely it would arrive in December.... seriously, 1 year!

I am so sad today I want to cry! We considered 2nd hand but I really want model 6.1 (we saw a second hand T6 and is not as good), and also, being honest prices are crazy for second hand Calis that don't even have what you want (and at least in Switzerland). I am this kind of person that currently owns a New Beetle in yellow, so having the white/copper (or white/green also could make the deal) is mandatory (I even consider buying it white second hand and paint it after, but again, T6.1 no stock!)

I guess we need to wait for it, and hope that they will move the delivery in the coming months...but prfffffffff
Yeah, being based in Switzerland as well I see the prices in the used market, and they are absolutely nuts. 4yr old Cali Ocean, 148,500km on the clock sold for 47k chf. I priced the same spec, brand new, 61k chf. I put it down to the Covid effect, as I'm sure there's a lot of people that have suddenly realized they rather go camping for their holidays than take a plane to somewhere else in the world, and evidently they can't wait up to 1yr for the van.

It will be interesting to see, assuming this Covid mess is finally put to rest at the end of the year, if used prices will tumble down next year to more sane levels, and if waiting times for new vans will also reduce. Still, thanks for the info re lead times in CH, I was counting on six months, better double that.

It will be interesting to see, assuming this Covid mess is finally put to rest at the end of the year, if used prices will tumble down next year to more sane levels, and if waiting times for new vans will also reduce. Still, thanks for the info re lead times in CH, I was counting on six months, better double that.
The news was reporting further car factory shut downs this morning, Mini in this case I think, relating to the chip shortages. The SME they brought in was saying that it would be 2yrs+ to replace lost capacity (factory fire / weather etc.) and to increase capacity sufficiently to get on top of the issues. So I think production of new vehicles across the board is going to be suppressed for some time to come, and not just vehicles for that matter - anything with a chip in it, washing machines were mentioned which kind of highlights the extent of the problem. So increased prices and supply shortages likely across the board for a long while yet.

Has anyone else noticed that VW chat has dissapeared? Our van was supposed to be going in to build next week and i wanted to check in with them. A Beach camper ordered on 9th Feb...

The news was reporting further car factory shut downs this morning, Mini in this case I think, relating to the chip shortages. The SME they brought in was saying that it would be 2yrs+ to replace lost capacity (factory fire / weather etc.) and to increase capacity sufficiently to get on top of the issues. So I think production of new vehicles across the board is going to be suppressed for some time to come, and not just vehicles for that matter - anything with a chip in it, washing machines were mentioned which kind of highlights the extent of the problem. So increased prices and supply shortages likely across the board for a long while yet.
Crickey... The supply side will be borked for a while yet, that is clear. Lets hope demand subsides in a post-Covid world.

Its should be embarassing, but many new buyers will be unaware of the shambles, so I doubt it impacts much on their order book which in the end is where it hurts VW. It will impact on orders though if new buyers are told delivery in 1 year...

awesome. that does give me hope. I was early dec, so maybe by June?
I think Coasts and Beaches are coming through quicker. If I have my Ocean (ordered 8 October) in June, I'll eat my own mars bar...(fingers crossed!!)

Can sympathise with you. I was expecting October (ordered mid-March) but I would be surprised if it arrives in 2021, reading some of these posts. Not a lot of choice 2nd hand - just seen a local van for sale, a 2018 Ocean 2.0 manual in red/white, 18,000km: 71,000€

That is almost 10 grand more than the one I have on order! I guess someone will pay it.

I'll sit and wait... luckily we have a good camping setup and can keep getting out all summer.

It does surprise me that the camper market is so much stronger in Spain this year. Unlike the UK where people are accustomed to foreign holidays and are suddenly looking at staying domestic, more Spanish tend to holiday within the country anyway. In other words, I can't see why a Spanish family who usually spend August in an all-inclusive hotel in Benidorm - and will likely still be able to in 2021 - would suddenly want to go van camping. Unless it's part of a wider trend for campers.

Yeah, being based in Switzerland as well I see the prices in the used market, and they are absolutely nuts. 4yr old Cali Ocean, 148,500km on the clock sold for 47k chf. I priced the same spec, brand new, 61k chf. I put it down to the Covid effect, as I'm sure there's a lot of people that have suddenly realized they rather go camping for their holidays than take a plane to somewhere else in the world, and evidently they can't wait up to 1yr for the van.

Exactly! One of the reasons I ordered new. It did not make sense to buy second-hand, especially if I wanted a certain spec (2 seater beach, quite rare in CH) and a T6.1. I ordered at the end of December and was told to expect about a 6-month delay and news of a build slot in Feb or March. The dealer has no information to pass on, even on van orders placed 2 months prior. They don't get these lists as seems to be the case in the UK and there is no online chat. I don't mind a bit of a wait, but waiting for 6-12 months without any updates or options is a bit crap.

Same in Belgium, we ordered in June 2020, with delivery date in January, last week it was delayed till September, now till October. Crying:sad:sad:sad

Back