Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 pop up top bed bellying after 3 nights

milli117

milli117

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We are on our first trip with our brand new VW T6.1 Ocean we noticed this morning that there’s a dent/belly forming in the roof?!! has there been anyone with problems related to this surely this can’t happen

7DEB85FB-14BE-404B-9673-5350373C227F.jpeg

820E22D8-EDBD-4731-8AC4-7BA3E81F06FA.jpeg

Difficult to see from the photographs but I think that’s the normal profile. It accommodates the hatch shutter.

That’s normal, it is to allow space for the tambour hatch to slide back into

its always been there, you probably just noticed it because of changing light and the extra time you are in the van.

Edit; see photo of mine - perfectly normal

5F71C611-E2E9-45CC-A040-9315298CD76C.jpeg

E85804C3-8381-4981-8EF0-BED0AFCF1C46.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks normal, but beware the roof bed has a VW weight limit of 150kgms.

Eh....pretty sure thats the shape of it, probably where reinforcing cross pieces are situated. Mine is identical.

Are you sure?
Vw Liverpool told us the 6.1 is 300g.
300g ?

I’ve not seen anything to say VW have increased the weight limit .

300kgm = 47.2 stone

There was a previous thread back in 2014 where the Netherlands vw had quoted 250kg.
I know many conversation beds with just a board are 150kg, but vw have always been more.

There was a previous thread back in 2014 where the Netherlands vw had quoted 250kg.
I know many conversation beds with just a board are 150kg, but vw have always been more.
Not according to VWCS

Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 23.08.34.jpg

Hmmmm
I'm at the vw dealership tomorrow so I'll get a definitive answer.
Seems to be lots of different answers including from vw.
Think I might need to order a few lettuces if it's 150kg
Try to get something in writing if possible.:thumb

Have seen the "top man" today.
Official vw line is 150kg. However many dealers around Europe will unofficially say no more than 250kg.
So I'm off to buy some lettuce
I suppose, as they give the weight of a Driver as 75 Kgms when calculating the vehicle's MGW, then 150 Kgms for the roof bed would follow.

150 sounds far more realistic than 250kgm, especially if the slats are to offer any sort of comfort.

A weight limit of 150kg and 150 kgms are two very different figures. Are we talking about an overall weight limit please or a mtrs Sq weight limit

A weight limit of 150kg and 150 kgms are two very different figures. Are we talking about an overall weight limit please or a mtrs Sq weight limit
Total weight limit.

Kilograms per square metre are normally written Kgm/m2

On a similar note;

Just back from first trip away (5 nights in West Runton). Noticed this gap at the rear of the hatch cover and the headliner on the way home. I might be imagining things but I don’t remember it being that big. Is this normal or has something fallen?

When look back into the gap you can see the bed springs.

It’s a Coast but presumably the same on an Ocean.

69975A07-DD27-40A7-9C1B-91C77D5EC026.jpeg

This is mine, the gap seems smaller than yours and the bed has been holding 175kg almost every weekend since the last year so I think the weight is not the cause. It was probably manufactured as it is.

97628840-34D0-4ACC-B587-FFAF794DD619.jpeg

Let's turn this on its head. Have we ever seen anyone post on this forum that they have damaged their roof bed by over-loading? Not to my recollection.
The bed is fine it’s just the headliner. I waited so long for Vando to arrive and it cost so much that I am desperate for everything to be perfect.
I think I need to chill a little bit and remember that it is being lived in. It’s not defective looking at other people’s. There seems to be some degree of flex in them and maybe they differ a bit van to van.