Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 Ocean roof keeps lowering

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Yet another problem with my new T6.1 - I'm in Switzerland and I've noticed that the roof lowers after 6/7 hours, the bellows fold in where they are supposed to for lowering. When you pull the bed down it rubs against the bellows. I know the roof 'adjusts' itself after 10 hours but it should then reset itself. This just seems like the roof is just slowly sinking...... Luckily when I pressed the open button it did return to fully open last night, however it has 'sunk' again this morning . Also, when I lower or raise the bed itself it makes a real 'groaning' noise, like the hinge needs oiling, presume this is a seperate issue and just a coincidence - just like the auxiliary heater not working, the drivers door not shutting properly, the level indicator for the grey water not working etc etc etc.....

Anyway, just wondered if anyone else had this problem with the roof, it does seem to lower the same on both sides, ie it is not just one side dropping. ( I just hope it closes when I try later this morning !!)

The roof level should be corrected after 5h in the T6.1 . Wich is way to early as the problem accueres after longer time periode imo.
This thing with the roof comming down slightly after periode of time (and heat also is a factor) has been from the start on T5's and due the fact the hydrolic system itself is still thsame all these years it keeps accuring .
VW only changed the automatic correct procedure over time and now the new control panel .
If it comes down after a few hours already and each time , you need to have it checked .
Remember to raise it fully before lowering it fully or you get yourself in trouble!

Regarding the noise the bed makes when you move it up-down , i have this also from time to time , it are the gas struts , think heat is a factor in there also .
I won't be using to much lubricatition un those struts up there it might get messy
And if you ever get the chance attend a club meet you will hear that noise a lot when 30 Cali's are parked up in a row.....;)

Or you have bad luck with yours or VW's quality is getting even poorer in the T6.1 .
You will have to get used to some niggels , we all do .
Now lots will say : i payed over 60K £ i want a perfect Cali ....
Well we all do...some payed less doh (T5 owners)

Last edited:
Thanks, I dont expect perfection in anything, however I do expect something I paid £60k plus for to work........ don't think thats too much to ask for ?

Sagging after 6 - 7 hours is not great, my T5 would sag a little after three or four days with a roof box on. The groaning noise will probably be the gas struts that hold the roof bed up.

Yep, having read other reports on here, I've got another T6.1 with a dodgy roof. Noticed it's been 'sinking' last few nights but today it's just 'dead when I operate the control panel - up or down!! Waiting for VW assistance, been OK on phone but looks likely we will have to be recovered to nearest VW dealer, we are on Lake Como so God knows where that will be !!!

No way I'm attempting a manual close and VW Assist did not mention it ! Looks like a night in a hotel tonight.........

Yep, having read other reports on here, I've got another T6.1 with a dodgy roof. Noticed it's been 'sinking' last few nights but today it's just 'dead when I operate the control panel - up or down!! Waiting for VW assistance, been OK on phone but looks likely we will have to be recovered to nearest VW dealer, we are on Lake Como so God knows where that will be !!!

No way I'm attempting a manual close and VW Assist did not mention it ! Looks like a night in a hotel tonight.........

So sorry to hear of another roof fault/issue with the T6.1...
Seems to be problem with the new Cali, which isn’t ideal. I wish Volkswagen would see sense and ditch these electric roofs for manual.

Fingers crossed VW assist can sort for you

The T5 and T6 don’t have the same problems as a few T6.1 with the electro-hydraulic roof. Don’t worry it will be resolved. And remember it’s just a ‘different’ adventure to the one you planned. I wish you good luck and happy travels.

From our resident vehicle electrics guru @Loz

Pull fuses 5,6,7 and 8

See here Post 5

You would of thought the salesperson would of rectified this issue sending it up at the very least .not very good advertisement for the horrendous price it probably is .

You would of thought the salesperson would of rectified this issue sending it up at the very least .not very good advertisement for the horrendous price it probably is .
I caught it before opening in the morning before 7am. So maybe I caught them out. The 6.1s have dodgy pumps

I caught it before opening in the morning before 7am. So maybe I caught them out. The 6.1s have dodgy pumps
Not so good if you’re up there sleeping in blowing wind.
After many years of calis we sold ours not because I don’t like them I love em an quietly miss it but having a crafter with a big bed and no roof to shut it the stormy weather is definitely a bonus

Today I have found a simple solution for roof sag from a Spanish company. It is a 3D printed plastic piece you insert in the scissor mechanism to block it. Simple and clever.

That looks interesting. I would hate to forget it is in position and try to lower the roof - would be an expensive error! But the roof sag is annoying (especially as I didn't want the hydraulic roof, but the Coast isn't available in Spain) - my kid likes to sleep upstairs with the lights on low, but when the roof sags, the lights switch off. At the moment, the problem is solved with a 5€ USB light from Decathlon, but the sag is annoying...

I’m in no way up to speed on hydraulics technology but I wonder whether stopping the roof sag in this way might result in other issues? Maybe an expert could comment?

I’m in no way up to speed on hydraulics technology but I wonder whether stopping the roof sag in this way might result in other issues? Maybe an expert could comment?
What would happen using these is if you had roof sag the pressure would just drop in the cylinders and the roof would rest on those stops. It's not the answer under warranty as it should be fixed properly. They don't like doing the pump because they're expensive. My t6 roof stays up and tight for days on end with no issues.

What would happen using these is if you had roof sag the pressure would just drop in the cylinders and the roof would rest on those stops. It's not the answer under warranty as it should be fixed properly. They don't like doing the pump because they're expensive. My t6 roof stays up and tight for days on end with no issues.
Thanks for that @flying banana .
Same here regarding no problems with ours (t6.1) - so far anyway :)

I didn't know it was a warranty fix, just a bad design.

I don't really want VW commercial mechanics spannering a month-old van... think I'll live with it until the warranty is about to expire!

I didn't know it was a warranty fix, just a bad design.

I don't really want VW commercial mechanics spannering a month-old van... think I'll live with it until the warranty is about to expire!
Master techs they like to call themselves. I wouldn't let half of them wire a sodding plug up

Well my roof was sagging to the “intermediate position” within 2 hours on Friday. Saturday I put the roof fully up and down 5 times in a row (as suggested by someone else) and the issue appears to have totally gone away. Might be worth a try.

Oh that’s worth a shot.

I’ve read mentions of the roof retensioning itself after a set time. Mine appears not to do this - does it need to sag past a determined amount to trigger it?

Oh that’s worth a shot.

I’ve read mentions of the roof retensioning itself after a set time. Mine appears not to do this - does it need to sag past a determined amount to trigger it?
Yes and 10hrs after last Ignition Off and then every 5 hrs. Ignition On restarts the clock.